• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

RobertM

RobertM

My grandfather died without providing weights for the ingredients to our caramel for apples....  Rather it was “a scoop of sugar” “a tin of milk” “a spade of seasoning”......my nightmare....what size scoop?  What size tin, and what kind of milk?  A spade full of seasoning??  Come on.....

i lucked into a caramels, toffee and fudge class and the instructors sat down with me and we calculated the weights.  I was heartened by comments such as “this is a very premium caramel....”

when we finished, they looked at me and said “keep this and share it with your family, so they don’t have to go through this in the future”

RobertM

RobertM

My grandfather died without providing weights for the ingredients to our caramel for apples....  Rather it was “a scoop of sugar” “a tin of milk” “a spade of seasoning”......my nightmare....what size scoop?  What size tin, and what kind of milk?  A spade full of searing??  Come on.....

i lucked into a caramels, toffee and fudge class and the instructors sat down with me and we calculated the weights.  I was heartened by comments such as “this is a very premium caramel....”

when we finished, they looked at me and said “keep this and share it with your family, so they don’t have to go through this in the future”