• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

gfron1

gfron1

I have a friend from Mexico, who became one of my best customers (and most critical) who makes the best flan I've ever had in my life. I have worked on her giving me the recipe/technique for about a decade. Her health isn't good and she's not getting any younger, and so almost every interaction I find a way to say, "btw, about that recipe." I've finally decided it must be from Betty Crocker or a packaged mix, and she's just embarrassed to admit that it isn't her abuela's recipe or some other silly reason like that. Her flan is 3" tall, delicate but sturdy, never a crack, absolutely not overcooked, curdled, or cakey. She always makes it in a 9" pan so its a monster. But that's not the point...I wondering what elusive recipes have you all been fighting for years to get?

gfron1

gfron1

I have a friend from Mexico, who became one of my best customers (and most critical) who makes the best flan I've ever had in my life. I have worked on her giving me the recipe/technique for about a decade. Her health isn't good and she's not getting any younger, and so almost every interaction I find a way to say, "btw, about that recipe." I've finally decided it must be from Betty Crocker or a packaged mix, and she's just embarrassed to admit that it isn't her abuela's recipe or some other silly reason like that. Her flan in 3" tall, delicate but sturdy, never a crack, absolutely not overcooked, curdled, or cakey. She always makes it in a 9" pan so its a monster. But that's not the point...I wondering what elusive recipes have you all been fighting for years to get?