• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Joël Robuchon, 'chef of the century', dies aged 73

liuzhou

So sad but he leaves a legacy that will last forever.  I'm fortunate to have met Chef Robuchon twice while attending food events in Las Vegas and I was able to personally have him sign two of his cookbooks for me.  I've posted the photos here before.  He was very gracious and quite pleased that I would actually travel so far to have him sign these cookbooks, especially "Simply French" with Patricia Wells.  It was really the first cookbook that introduced American Chefs and home cooks to his legendary potato dish.

Simply French 1.jpegRobuchon 2.jpeg

Robuchon 3.jpeg

Cherry Clafouti closeup.JPG

• Like 10

I wrote on another site that one can find the fact his mashed potatoes may be his most remembered dish as either very trite or extremely profound, depending on one's viewpoint.  I learned so much technique in just this one simple thing, I'm forever grateful.  Loving Eric Ripert and knowing what it was to pass through Chef Robuchon's kitchen, he was a lion, but a titan of monumental importance.  Too many this year will be forever missed.

Thank you, Chef.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

-Paul

Remplis ton verre vuide; Vuide ton verre plein. Je ne puis suffrir dans ta main...un verre ni vuide ni plein. ~ Rabelais

from complications of pancreatic cancer.  

there is a well though out Obit in the NYTimes , w " an appraisal '  as a ' side bar '

the SB discusses " stars '

hope you can find a way to read it.

maybe a google search can get you in

'           joel robuchon dies     '

It's hard to say which Robuchon you've tasted in one of his restaurants is your favorite.  Yes, the potato dish is every bit as sumptuous as you would imagine, but the one that first came to mind when I heard of his passing is this langoustine dish served at L'Atelier at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas.  I've had it a few times on different occasions with different chefs in the kitchen just a few feet from the counter and it's always been consistently excellent.  It's fried with basil and a small swish of pesto.

Robuchon L'atelier Langoustine Dish.jpg

• Like 1