• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

New from Annapolis MD

Hi Lisa - my wife is on the Board of the Mitchell Gallery at St. Johns. I was a member of EYC for a while before we figured out we didn't use it much. Good kitchen there. You know they have done a major renovation? Looks great.

• Like 1

sail fast and eat well, dave

Dave Skolnick S/V Auspicious

http://AuspiciousWorks.com

Welcome, Auspicious! There are a number of boating people in the group, and we've occasionally posted in passing about boat cookery, without a dedicated topic. If you were to start one, I'm sure folks would jump in. I have to laugh at your "small boat" definition of 40' - 80'; I've raced and cruised on sailboats ranging from 24' - 44' so anything bigger sounds like a luxury liner to me. How is it that the skipper is also the cook, by the way? 

If you have any questions about how the forums work, or where to post something, feel free to ask a host (I am one) by PM. And don't worry, you don't have to restrict your participation to boat food. :wink:

• Like 2

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Welcome to eGullet, Auspicious!  My parents lived in Edgewater in the late 1970's while I was in college.  They moved there to be able to sail weekends, so I've spent a lot of time on the Bay.  My mom cooked a lot on board their little 27 foot Catalina.  I love Annapolis.   Looking forward to your posts!

6 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

Welcome to eGullet, Auspicious!  My parents lived in Edgewater in the late 1970's while I was in college.  They moved there to be able to sail weekends, so I've spent a lot of time on the Bay.  My mom cooked a lot on board their little 27 foot Catalina.  I love Annapolis.   Looking forward to your posts!

Jeepers. There ARE a lot of boaters here. I'll certainly start a thread on cooking aboard. There are lots of variants of course from a Catalina 22 on a weekend adventure to a Hallberg Rassy 62 crossing an ocean. Some basics apply across the board. This will be fun!

11 hours ago, kayb said:

This Parrothead wants to know: Do you do "Boat Drinks"?

Yep. I personally am not a blender drink guy, mostly. Some choices are best in their native location - painkillers at Soggy Dollar Bar on Jost Van Dyke. You can fill up a Thermos and head over to Cane Garden Bay for a Cheeseburger in Paradise, although the hurricane recovery continues.

14 hours ago, Smithy said:

Welcome, Auspicious! There are a number of boating people in the group, and we've occasionally posted in passing about boat cookery, without a dedicated topic. If you were to start one, I'm sure folks would jump in. I have to laugh at your "small boat" definition of 40' - 80'; I've raced and cruised on sailboats ranging from 24' - 44' so anything bigger sounds like a luxury liner to me. How is it that the skipper is also the cook, by the way? 

If you have any questions about how the forums work, or where to post something, feel free to ask a host (I am one) by PM. And don't worry, you don't have to restrict your participation to boat food. :wink:

Anything smaller than a superyacht (say 180' and up) is a small boat. *grin*

Thank you all for your welcome. I appreciate it. I look forward to contributing to the community.

• Like 4

sail fast and eat well, dave

Dave Skolnick S/V Auspicious

http://AuspiciousWorks.com