• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Egg buttercreams

pastrygirl

Something I wonder about but have yet to attempt ...

i usually make Swiss or Italian meringue buttercream with egg whites. Occasionally I make egg yolk buttercream if I have excess yolks. 

Is there any reason why one couldn’t make whole egg buttercream?  Whole eggs whip up plenty fluffy for genoise, what if you added hot syrup and cool butter? 🤔

I've seen recipes that use whole eggs for buttercream; I want to say it's called French buttercream but not sure.  Any time I made RLB's neoclassic buttercream I had to start whipping the yolks almost before I put the sugar on to boil just to get any volume.  I think the whole egg bcrm is going to be richer than swiss or italian but not as rich as the neoclassic.  So now you have to try it and let us know what happens!

• Like 1