• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

gfron1

gfron1

Here some things to consider:

-Visit any and every shop you can and see what you like and don't like from paint, to lighting, to signage, customer interaction, packaging, music/sound, smells, clutter/cleanliness; and keep notes so you remember what stands out to you.

-What direction is your window facing? A big, big name pastry chef opened in my town recently and I went in to support him on opening day only to find his full line of bean-to-bar chocolate bars  in clear packaging on a shelf perpendicular to his main south facing window...every one of them had bloomed. Message...think about the sun throughout the year and how it will effect the use of your space.

-Everything needs an upsell or a co-sell. EVERYTHING. Its hard to make a living selling a cookie. But if someone wants a cookie, a bakers dozen may be attractive, or a hot tea to go with the biscuit. For me, I never sell individual chocolates. I used to sell 5 boxes, now only 10s. That's a personal choice based on customer feedback. If they buy the cinnamon cookie you offer them the chai bonbon...I think you see where I'm going with this. Over the years I've learned that customers don't really know what you have to offer, they came in for one thing, and they did that because they like your food, so make sure they know what else you have to offer that they likely will enjoy as well...verbally, not just in signage.

-Even in a small space, try to create a decompression zone at the entry way. Think about most larger groceries...they want you to walk in, orient yourself, then get serious. The good ones don't over clutter the front because your mind doesn't relax enough to be open to everything that is coming (this is a researched subject not my own theory).

-Create partnership even before you open. Any complimentary business - galleries, B&Bs, museums, possibly coffee shops if its not competing, your immediate neighbors for sure, office buildings (think end of year corporate gifts), realtors (they blab a lot), certainly any food blogger, media...on and on...take them a gift basket with a generous sampling of your creations - the investment WILL pay off; and then invite them to a VIP pre-grand opening the night before you open to the public so they feel special. If anyone is a super duper VIP then give them a private invitation to come by even earlier - this might be the newspaper editor.

-Think about what charities you might want to support. I built my last restaurant with 100% charitable giving versus advertising and it paid off in dividends with how the community viewed us.

-As for landlords, they are tough. Just remember: honey not vinegar.

-Be sure that the lease is specific about who repairs any mechanical stuff? Lighting, refrigeration, air conditioning, broken windows, etc. 

-Do your best to be a cash-operating business instead of building up debt. That won't be easy, especially at first, but any time you can pay immediately, do it. That will train you to be efficient and non-wasteful. 

-If you haven't already get your web presence going! Website, facebook, instagram, and even twitter. Now, not later. In FB and IG, use stories liberally - they are the future.

(I'll stop for now and see what else comes up later)

gfron1

gfron1

Here some things to consider:

-Visit any and every shop you can and see what you like and don't like from paint, to lighting, to signage, customer interaction, packaging, music/sound, smells, clutter/cleanliness; and keep notes so you remember what stands out to you.

-What direction is your window facing? A big, big name pastry chef opened in my town recently and I went in to support him on opening day only to find his full line of bean-to-bar chocolate bars  in clear packaging on a shelf perpendicular to his main south facing window...every one of them had bloomed. Message...think about the sun throughout the year and how it will effect the use of your space.

-Everything needs an upsell or a co-sell. EVERYTHING. Its hard to make a living selling a cookie. But if someone wants a cookie, a bakers dozen may be attractive, or a hot tea to go with the biscuit. For me, I never sell individual chocolates. I used to sell 5 boxes, now only 10s. That's a personal choice based on customer feedback. If they buy the cinnamon cookie you offer them the chai bonbon...I think you see where I'm going with this. Over the years I've learned that customers don't really know what you have to offer, they came in for one thing, and they did that because they like your food, so make sure they know what else you have to offer that they likely will enjoy as well...verbally, not just in signage.

-Even in a small space, try to create a decompression zone at the entry way. Think about most larger groceries...they want you to walk in, orient yourself, then get serious. The good ones don't over clutter the front because your mind doesn't relax enough to be open to everything that is coming (this is a researched subject not my own theory).

-Create partnership even before you open. Any complimentary business - galleries, B&Bs, museums, possibly coffee shops if its not competing, your immediate neighbors for sure, office buildings (think end of year corporate gifts), realtors (they blab a lot), certainly any food blogger, media...on and on...take them a gift basket with a generous sampling of your creations - the investment WILL pay off; and then invite them to a VIP pre-grand opening the night before you open to the public so they feel special. If anyone is a super duper VIP then give them a private invitation to come by even earlier - this might be the newspaper editor.

-Think about what charities you might want to support. I built my last restaurant with 100% charitable giving versus advertising and it paid off in dividends with how the community viewed us.

-As for landlords, they are tough. Just remember: honey not vinegar.

-Be sure that the lease is specific about who repairs any mechanical stuff? Lighting, refrigeration, air conditioning, broken windows, etc. 

-Do your best to be a cash-operating business instead of building up debt. That won't be easy, especially at first, but any time you can pay immediately, do it. That will train you to be efficient and non-wasteful. 

(I'll stop for now and see what else comes up later)