• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Madeleine Kamman dies at 87

barolo

There are a few cookbooks on my nightstand that have permanent residency. "When French Women Cook" is one of them. A heartwarming memoir of the women who formed her food knowledge during childhood.  Yes, a low key but powerful force in the food world I am grateful to have been exposed to. 

• Like 1

I said low key as in she always appeared calm, knowledgable and in control. The feud with Julia Child well.....   

I love and respect the line in the dedication of the above mentioned book:   "This book, in its own way a feminist manifesto, is dedicated to the millions of women who have spent millennia in kitchens creating unrecognised masterpieces". The line goes on to thank the grandmother and mother of Paul Bocuse and her Aunt Clair Robert.

• Like 2

Very sad news. 😓

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

She sounds like an interesting and formidable person. I'll have to look into some of her books.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Her recipe for Beef Bourguignon may be one of the most unique, if not one of the most detailed or complicated.

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

One of my favorite stories, which I've shared on eG bfore is her attitude toward snails.Very very young with her Mimi Cherie who went round Paris making mattresses and was very frugal she had a run in with the snails being purged. Madeleine could not resist removing the cover of the pot and when they returned the snails had left and slimed the walls. She was spanked and said to the day she rejoiced in seeing the juices bubbling in pots of snails in snail butter :) 

Mimi Cherie had also abandoned Sunday church after son killed in WW1 so they spent their Sundays in the train tunnels findng mushrooms that MC sold to famous chefs in Paris and it afforded them some little luxuries. Just a taste of her wonderful writing.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

She had a French Bistro in the Boston area that I was unaware about.

I could have afforded it on occasion as it was not expensive , but very French w a fixed price menu.

I saw her on one of her earlier PBS shows and learned early on how tasty and inexpensive Blade Steaks were.

the key was to cut out the central tendon before you plated , and have a a Large Labrador handy to catch the trim.

I will always remember her point , in a classic french accent while cutting out the tendon :"  These are for the Doug "

I indeed later had a two large Labradors , but they never got the ' trim '

I have her books , and refer to " The Making of a Cook " from time to time.

The New Making of a Cook: The Art, Techniques, And Science Of Good Cooking