• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Why ice post-sous-vide?

TdeV

I can understand that putting the sous vide bag in a sink full of ice is important with meat, as one wishes to quickly lower the temperature of meat so that it's not dangerous.

But what about potatoes? Or green beans?

Why ice?

@scubadoo97, if the cook time is 45 minutes to 1 hour at 182F (I think that's what Baldwin says about green beens) and anova says 40 minutes, I don't see what leaving the beans "en plein d'air" at 72F threatens.

Sous-vide (reduced oxygen) cooking can be dangerous if the product inside is not cooked for sufficient time/temp to pasteurize/kill most pathogens and/or if chilled improperly pathogens can multiply and they are not good to have in your body.

SV safety is severely overlooked and underrated.  Douglas Baldwin explains the safety issues and consequences of improper cooling very well.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1