Jump to content
  • Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

New Toy: Breville/Polyscience Control Freak!


CanadianHomeChef
 Share

Recommended Posts

Consistency of process means your outcome is due to your changes, which means you can experiment and know that your mistakes are your own. Inconsistent process is surprises, not adventure :) (Though, tbf, surprises can definitely be adventurous!)

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/13/2021 at 8:35 PM, jandreas said:

 

The first thing I would do is use more oil.  Have you tried thicker pots & pans?  The only thing thinner than an ikea kitchen pot is the sheet metal on a Chery car.      

You have ti check more often Ikea's products. They made probably the best quality/price ratio inox pans. Sensuell pans are thick like all clad pans.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/13/2021 at 2:41 PM, KennethT said:

At 1800W (at 240V) it would be fine for sous vide, but I don't think it would replace a high powered, accurate induction burner.

 

Same wattage as the (US) Control Freak, no?

 

The sous vide bit is useless to me, but in other respects I really like some of what Njori has designed. The storage case is really beautifully designed, and the "reduce by weight" feature enabled by the built-in scale is pretty cool. I secretly hate recipes that say "reduce by 1/2" because it's so hard to gauge that in the quantities one uses for a lot of home recipes.


Price is too high for me to take a chance on it from an untested vendor, though.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, dtremit said:

 

Price is too high for me to take a chance on it from an untested vendor, though.

 

Yep, exactly. 

 

I have 2 other sous vide gadgets but could maybe see myself using this. I would likely dedicate counter space to it, if I had one... and hooking up its circulator MIGHT be easier, or as easy, as hooking up one of my other gizmos. 

 

But, without more reviews, it is too risky. 

 

Even the Control Freak seems to have some quirks at 3x the cost.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi all,

 

I too was considering the price of the Control Freak too crazy. I was hoping it would come down to price one day and I've seen it swing from £900 all the way to £1500. After reading this thread, I got convinced that it was a good investment to make and I got lucky spotting a £600 deal on Sous Vide Tools for a refurbished unit. I received my refurbished unit and other than a few marks here and there and a slightly melted rubber seal on the edge of the plate it all looks good. 

 

I decided to test the unit to make sure it performs to spec and I noticed what I think is an odd behaviour but I am not 100% convinced it's a problem. Basically, I took these steps for my testing:

 

  • I used my All-Clad 12" D3 pan where I attached one temperature sensor on the centre of the pan, and one on the edge
  • I made sure the Control Freak and especially the pan sensor were clean and dry
  • I set the pan on the stove and the intensity to "Low"
  • Finally, I cycled through all possible temperatures in 25 C increments

 

Here is a picture of the setup where T1 on the multimeter (bottom) is the centre sensor and T2 (top) is the edge sensor:

 

control_freak_100C_test-min.thumb.jpg.31763fca42b3602e2054ad2d6d377bbc.jpg

 

And here are my test results (in Celsius):

 

898885129_Screenshot2021-06-22at13_08_51.png.46efdcd321fafea5f1bfd45ac0f23922.png

 

As you can see, the higher the temperature, the bigger the variation between the pan sensor and the temperature probe on the pan. The worst case was a 25 C degree difference at 250 C.

 

I don't think this affects the performance of the device much, but has anyone else seen these results? Can you consistently get the set temperature regardless of how high it is?

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

@Aki 

 

interesting work !

 

what is the sensing device you are using ?

 

Im wondering what sort of data you might get w the pan

 

1/2 filled w water for 100 C or less ?

 

and oil for higher temps ?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, rotuts said:

@Aki 

 

interesting work !

 

what is the sensing device you are using ?

 

Im wondering what sort of data you might get w the pan

 

1/2 filled w water for 100 C or less ?

 

and oil for higher temps ?

 

I am using a Brymen BM869s multimeter with two thermocouples attached to it. It should be accurate within 0.3% + 1.5C (thermocouple accuracy not included), so for example at 250C it should be accurate within a range of 247.75C - 252.25C.

 

Unfortunately my thermocouples are not waterproof but I have a ThermoWorks Smoke and a Thermapen that I can use with water and oil. I'll try to get some measurements done by the end of the week and post here.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think it's fairly clear that top surface and bottom surface temperatures will have a difference depending on a lot of factors, and pan loading will change that again, so it will always be somewhat of an estimate in any case. In real world use, with liquids, I find it can be pretty accurate after stabilizing, though can run higher covered. For things like retherm or simmering it does the trick nicely. For things without a liquid load it definitely varies, but is accurate enough for *cooking*. Some pots, like cast iron, seem to have more trouble with large temperature variations across the pan. 

 

The weirdest one I see is I quite often use mine for pressure cooking, and I'm pretty sure my Kuhn Rikon has correct pressure (reasonably) but a pan temp of 110 will easily hold 15 psi, which makes no sense ... you would expect the bottom surface to be *higher* not lower, I don't get it. It is a very thick bottom though and an odd situation. Or maybe the PC is way off and I just don't notice.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...

Sorry for the delay but I finally managed to get around testing the device with a pan with oil, methodology is similar to before:

  • I used my All-Clad 12" D3 pan filled with water up to 75 C and Rice Bran oil for temperatures up to 250 C
  • I attached the Control Freak temperature sensor on the centre of the pan without it touching the bottom and used a Thermapen as well
  • I made sure the Control Freak and especially the pan sensor were clean and dry
  • I set the pan on the stove and the intensity to "Low" (I had to switch this to "Medium" for the oil test on temperatures above 200 C because the hob would not cope)
  • Finally, I cycled through all possible temperatures in 25 C increments letting the pan stabilise for 2 minutes each time (using pan sensor, not probe sensor). The day I did the test was hotter so I started the liquid tests from 30 C.

control_freak_temperature_table_with_liquids.png.c805929c66b28f8bf4a1376dd8222051.png

 

A few things I noticed from this testing:

  • "Low" intensity is not enough for water above 75 C and oil above 200 C
  • 2 minutes waiting after each temperature was reached (on the pan) is not enough for the liquid to reach the same temperature, around 10 minutes would have been better
  • The oil at high temperatures did reach higher temperatures than what was measured previously with a surface sensor. Which means that if the pan has at least some "load" then it will be closer to the shown pan temperature
  • For tests on the higher temperatures there was a few seconds lag between measuring with the Control Freak probe and the Thermapen, that is why there is such a difference at 150 C and 200 C.
  • Overall this was done in a fairly unscientific way which lead to inconsistent results, regardless though it shows to me that the hob is working as expected at least when there is "load" in the pan.
  • Thanks 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/22/2021 at 8:19 AM, Aki said:

Hi all,

 

I too was considering the price of the Control Freak too crazy. I was hoping it would come down to price one day and I've seen it swing from £900 all the way to £1500. After reading this thread, I got convinced that it was a good investment to make and I got lucky spotting a £600 deal on Sous Vide Tools for a refurbished unit. I received my refurbished unit and other than a few marks here and there and a slightly melted rubber seal on the edge of the plate it all looks good. 

 

I decided to test the unit to make sure it performs to spec and I noticed what I think is an odd behaviour but I am not 100% convinced it's a problem. Basically, I took these steps for my testing:

 

  • I used my All-Clad 12" D3 pan where I attached one temperature sensor on the centre of the pan, and one on the edge
  • I made sure the Control Freak and especially the pan sensor were clean and dry
  • I set the pan on the stove and the intensity to "Low"
  • Finally, I cycled through all possible temperatures in 25 C increments

 

Here is a picture of the setup where T1 on the multimeter (bottom) is the centre sensor and T2 (top) is the edge sensor:

 

control_freak_100C_test-min.thumb.jpg.31763fca42b3602e2054ad2d6d377bbc.jpg

 

And here are my test results (in Celsius):

 

898885129_Screenshot2021-06-22at13_08_51.png.46efdcd321fafea5f1bfd45ac0f23922.png

 

As you can see, the higher the temperature, the bigger the variation between the pan sensor and the temperature probe on the pan. The worst case was a 25 C degree difference at 250 C.

 

I don't think this affects the performance of the device much, but has anyone else seen these results? Can you consistently get the set temperature regardless of how high it is?

 

I think that these results might reflect pan performance or size more than the Freak's.  

 

Was the edge probe on a part of the pan that was exposed to the induction?

 

How long did you wait after changing the induction setting until you recorded a temp? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, gfweb said:

 

I think that these results might reflect pan performance or size more than the Freak's.  

 

Was the edge probe on a part of the pan that was exposed to the induction?

 

How long did you wait after changing the induction setting until you recorded a temp? 

 

Yes that's right, I am pretty sure the pan type and size plays a big role in this. I have checked the coil pattern before and I am pretty sure the edge sensor was right on top of the coil.

 

Also, I measured the temperature the moment the Control Freak beeped that it has reached the temperature (I did not wait for it to stabilise on the non-liquid tests).

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/10/2021 at 4:43 PM, Aki said:

 

Yes that's right, I am pretty sure the pan type and size plays a big role in this. I have checked the coil pattern before and I am pretty sure the edge sensor was right on top of the coil.

 

Also, I measured the temperature the moment the Control Freak beeped that it has reached the temperature (I did not wait for it to stabilise on the non-liquid tests).

Is the 220v version right?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

New Control freak here.  Loving it so far, it also doubles as the worlds most expensive baby bottle warmer.

 

Disappointed my All Clad griddle isn’t compatible, what nonstick griddle is recommended?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...