• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

CanadianHomeChef

New Toy: Breville/Polyscience Control Freak!

On 6/16/2020 at 10:45 AM, adey73 said:

forgive me if someone has already posted this....

but those of us who were wondering where the competition is to hopefully lower the price of precision induction, Vollrath released a range of induction/probe based units in January.

https://www.vollrathfoodservice.com/products/countertop-equipment/cooking-equipment/induction-ranges/4-series-induction-range

@btbyrd put me onto the Mirage Pro and I love mine. This new iteration have larger coils plus the probe and are more powerful.

However only found one review,  that spoke of noisy fans and crashing of software and you can only save 4 files on their usb which is Java based.

Maybe in a couple of years there might be a few on the secondary market, as of now they are very expensive. 

Just saw this.  Interesting but not sure why anyone would pay those prices for the Vollrath over the Control Freak which to me seems to be a much more capable (and certainly better looking) product.  I'm sure the Vollrath is rugged and all but the CF has it all, including an actual physical probe for the pan (very important for accurate temps) vs the under glass probe of the Vollrath.

On 7/3/2020 at 11:02 AM, KennethT said:

It does look like a baking steel, but those are really expensive (like the CF isn't? ha!) - what about a small cast iron griddle? https://www.lodgemfg.com/product/chef-collection-square-griddle?sku=LC11SGR - $40 rather than $175....

Edit: or $93 from McMaster Carr... https://www.mcmaster.com/6544K32/

Cast iron would be a bad choice since cast iron has very poor heat conductivity.  Heat would be focused at the coil and not spread evenly compared to steel.

• Like 1

On 7/2/2020 at 4:53 AM, Slim W said:

I have never had the unit overheat or shutdown, it's 41C/106F out right now and I would not hesitate using it. Maybe the 220V model has better cooling?

I think that might play a part.

IMG_3528.jpg

On 7/17/2020 at 10:06 PM, jandreas said:

I think that might play a part.

IMG_3528.jpg

I have never seen that!  I was outside the other day frying at 39deg C with it set to MAX..  My unit in Canada is in Newfoundland, high ambient temperatures are not a problem there :) 

On 12/30/2019 at 5:21 PM, Max Q said:

IMG_20191230_122648.thumb.jpg.0ac207f875149023d9236c57d24637d7.jpg

Since I've checked the probe and I know it's accurate, the only answer that I can come up with is that the pan sensor is significantly under-reading the pan temperature, and by an amount which depends on the pan construction.

I'd be interested to know if anyone else has seen this as right now it's hard to see a reason not to return it.

I'm not sure if @Max Q is actively on eGullet, but I got the same UK model this week and experienced exact same thing. For example heating water to 60C on whichever speed setting on pan temp control. Pan temp reads 60C, while probe (which I checked with Thermapen) said 68-69C. Software version is 5 27 in mine, same as someone else had in this thread. I wonder if anyone else had to return theirs and what was the end result of that?