• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

CanadianHomeChef

New Toy: Breville/Polyscience Control Freak!

@ocd That's correct. I imagine the company recommends using at a lower setting because plug adapters are notoriously cheap pieces of crap (even the expensive ones) amongst those in the industry and running high amounts of current through them for extended periods of time tend to make them melt.  That, coupled with the liability that a NEMA 5-15 15A outlet should be used with a 15A breaker, which at 1800W for an extended time could cause older breakers to trip.

The American version is 1800 watts and has a 15 amp plug... so I'm thinking it's just overkill Canadian standards. Looks like they got over them though, as Canada is getting a 15 amp plug model according to TesTek, that's why they are clearing out their old stock.

My model is currently plugged into a 20amp outlet, but I had it in a 15 amp outlet for a couple months in BC, and had no problem with it tripping the breaker.