• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

CanadianHomeChef

New Toy: Breville/Polyscience Control Freak!

@ocd That's correct. I imagine the company recommends using at a lower setting because plug adapters are notoriously cheap pieces of crap (even the expensive ones) amongst those in the industry and running high amounts of current through them for extended periods of time tend to make them melt.  That, coupled with the liability that a NEMA 5-15 15A outlet should be used with a 15A breaker, which at 1800W for an extended time could cause older breakers to trip.

The American version is 1800 watts and has a 15 amp plug... so I'm thinking it's just overkill Canadian standards. Looks like they got over them though, as Canada is getting a 15 amp plug model according to TesTek, that's why they are clearing out their old stock.

My model is currently plugged into a 20amp outlet, but I had it in a 15 amp outlet for a couple months in BC, and had no problem with it tripping the breaker.

Made a couple of French omelettes last weekend - thanks so much @CanadianHomeChef for sharing the recipe! Watching this video also helped, especially with the plating technique (covering frying pan with a plate then flipping it).

What I've learned:

- the key is not to get too greedy with the fillings or it becomes difficult to wrap it up (I used basil, tomato, ham and cheese for fillings)

- 228F works really well

- it took me a little longer than 2 minutes, more like 3-4 minutes (probably due to difference in frying pan induction characteristics)

omelette.jpg

• Like 4

Made some Hollandaise sauce this weekend - recipe courtesy of @CanadianHomeChef (also found a similar recipe on PolyScience Culinary website along with their YouTube video by one of their chefs, David Pietranczyk). Turned out great (despite the fact that I forgot to switch to probe control at first), maybe a little too lemon'ey for our taste (will try to use less lemon juice in the future). I really liked how simple it was - just throw it all in at the same time, no need for a vinegar reduction or bain marie or anything like that.

IMG_0186.jpg

IMG_0188.jpg

• Like 5

Has anyone had any issues with their control freak tripping their circuit? I'm based in the US and I'm noticing that even if it's the only thing plugged in, it tends to trip the circuit when I lift the pan.

Got one a couple of weeks ago ($1499 from JB Prince, via Amazon), but haven't had any spare time to use it yet 😢. So I'm taking it with me to the eGullet Chocolate and Confectionery Workshop this weekend for everyone to play with.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, PositiveMD said:

Has anyone had any issues with their control freak tripping their circuit? I'm based in the US and I'm noticing that even if it's the only thing plugged in, it tends to trip the circuit when I lift the pan.

No trouble. I run it on a 20 amp circuit though. I only ever had issues when I brought it to a friends house who had aluminum wires. Plugged it into the outlet connected to the stove solved that problem. 

So far I've used mine in hotel rooms more than anywhere - haven't had any circuit issues. 

I think my circuit is set to trip at 16ish amps so I may be out of luck until I move to another apartment. I'm guessing I should look for places that have 20 amp circuits then?

Pays to have a hubby that can rewire stuff!