• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

New Toy: Breville/Polyscience Control Freak!

CanadianHomeChef

On 10/3/2022 at 1:08 PM, CanadianHomeChef said:

Just a heads up, Breville is offering 20% off the Control Freak until October 17th; the 20% off seems to include Amazon as well.  Good deal for those waiting to pull the trigger.

It looks like the Control Freak is back on sale at 20% off in the U.S.  JB Prince sent me an email saying that the sale runs from December 1st through December 14th.

Breville, Amazon and several other resellers are currently offering the Control Freak (US model) for ~$1200.

Breville PolyScience Control Freak (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)

Aargh, do I really need a third unit? 😭

Edited by afs
Breville and Amazon are now offering this sale price (log)
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

I've been doing a lot of cooking on my Control Freak using the probe lately.  When I heat up liquids (like when scalding milk), I'd really like to do it with a lid on the pans so that I don't have to stir much/at all.

Has anyone found good pot lids which have a hole for a temperature probe--and which work well with the Control Freak's probe?  I'm mostly using 24cm Falk induction-compatible pans, so that's the size I'm looking for more than any other.

My backup option is a Dremel and some small-diameter rubber food-safe gaskets.  But I would really rather not drill holes in stainless steel lids.

Does anyone have tips on Control Freak probe-compatible lids?

I would probably hit thrift stores armed with a tape measure and the probe. That's how I find particular lids for particular pots. Not sure how big the hole is on most glass lids but those are probably the ones I'd be drawn to. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

I would probably hit thrift stores armed with a tape measure and the probe. That's how I find particular lids for particular pots. Not sure how big the hole is on most glass lids but those are probably the ones I'd be drawn to. 

I had not thought of that.  That's a good idea 😄

I searched and searched online, but couldn't find any measurements on hole sizes.

I'm looking to do the same thing that Hamilton Beach does with their slow cooker--but with my Control Freak.  I would have just bought the lid from Hamilton Beach and hoped that the hole was the right size, but the lid is of course not the right shape and size. 😢

Hamilton Beach 6-Quart Slow Cooker w/ Probe (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)

NOTE: the "Defrost Setting, Temperature Probe" (silver) version of that slow cooker has an extra-nice solution, with the dedicated white hole for the probe (which I presume has an insulated gasket).

Edited by afs
Added note on silver variant's probe insertion gasket (log)

• 2 months later...

IMG_5372.thumb.JPG.baaa8c01bf024870922289615951417c.JPG

IMG_5373.thumb.JPG.007d3101fd97d646192e9ec403fbb186.JPGIMG_5373.thumb.JPG.007d3101fd97d646192e9ec403fbb186.JPG

IMG_5375.thumb.JPG.f68a425adf7a9099bf0923b3abc2ddfd.JPG

This should be interesting - looks like I have a couple of gallons of sap - might get a little jar of syrup when I'm done. Got a little chunk of cocoa butter to throw in if it foams up - but I suspect the Control Freak will prevent that from happening. 

I'll move over to the probe in a smaller pan when the time comes. Heading for around 104º C (66 Brix).

• Like 9

3 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

IMG_5373.thumb.JPG.007d3101fd97d646192e9ec403fbb186.JPGIMG_5373.thumb.JPG.007d3101fd97d646192e9ec403fbb186.JPG

This should be interesting - looks like I have a couple of gallons of sap - might get a little jar of syrup when I'm done. Got a little chunk of cocoa butter to throw in if it foams up - but I suspect the Control Freak will prevent that from happening. 

I'll move over to the probe in a smaller pan when the time comes. Heading for around 104º C (66 Brix).

It's gonna get nice and steamy in there!

• 1 month later...
On 3/12/2023 at 9:15 AM, Kerry Beal said:

This is an awesome use case for the Control Freak! Do you find that you can set the target temp and walk away, and still maintain the desired brix level no matter how long you let it cook at the target temperature?

• 3 weeks later...
10 minutes ago, TheAvidHomeChef said:

I'm thinking about getting a second Control Freak. I heard some of you were able to get it for $800USD. How did you find the discounts? Or were they just used ones?

The lowest I've seen them new in the box is $1,199 + tax.  Thats what I paid, I've noticed they have sales a few times per year at this price, you just have to keep your eye out.

I see them on eBay a lot but they're still proved high, sometimes higher than retail and I see no benefit to buying a used one to save a couple hundo

• Like 2

On 5/15/2023 at 4:44 PM, TheAvidHomeChef said:

I'm thinking about getting a second Control Freak. I heard some of you were able to get it for $800USD. How did you find the discounts? Or were they just used ones?

I got lucky and got both of mine for $800 off eBay. They were listed as "demo" units but came in the box with all the packaging perfectly intact. I was able to get both of them by placing a "offer" that was lower than the asking price...   

I haven't seen anything close to that price since. 

• Like 2

Sizzle and Sear

Owner/Editor

https://www.sizzleandsear.com/

12 hours ago, CanadianHomeChef said:

I got lucky and got both of mine for $800 off eBay. They were listed as "demo" units but came in the box with all the packaging perfectly intact. I was able to get both of them by placing a "offer" that was lower than the asking price...   

I haven't seen anything close to that price since. 

thats great, that was $800 each right?

11 hours ago, gfweb said:

@Kerry Beal how did the syrup come out?

Came out well - flavour wasn't as complex as I would have liked but apparently sap can change throughout the season. 

• Like 1

On 5/21/2023 at 7:08 AM, yimyammer said:

thats great, that was $800 each right?

Yes, each. Now that being said, I'd pay full price in a heart beat to replace them if anything were to ever happen to them. It's my most use piece of equipment in the kitchen other than the pots and pans that I use with it. 

Edited by CanadianHomeChef (log)
  • Like 3

Sizzle and Sear

Owner/Editor

Well, it's been a while since I last posted here.  probably 3 years.   I'm going on 4+ years for my 2 Control Freaks and both work like they did when they were brand new and look brand new as well.   Probably the best purchase I've made for kitchen equipment ever.  Well worth the price.

How are you other old timers doing with your units?

• Like 1

14 hours ago, SantiagoDraco said:

Well, it's been a while since I last posted here.  probably 3 years.   I'm going on 4+ years for my 2 Control Freaks and both work like they did when they were brand new and look brand new as well.   Probably the best purchase I've made for kitchen equipment ever.  Well worth the price.

I love it but dont feel like I use it as much as I should

What are you favorite uses?

Why do you have 2?

23 minutes ago, yimyammer said:

I love it but dont feel like I use it as much as I should

What are you favorite uses?

Why do you have 2?

Because 2 is better than 1!

I use 1 daily, the second is more for when I'm cooking something in big batches where I may need to brown a lot of meat (say Green Chili Pork Stew, or Beef Stew, etc), or cooking multi-part recipes in parallel.   I cook a lot of omelets and sauces.  

The second unit is also the one I take with me camping or for parties or events with friends.

Overkill quite likely :)

• Thanks 1

On 5/28/2023 at 7:03 PM, SantiagoDraco said:

Ditto here. Both of mine work as if they are new and get daily use. 

Sizzle and Sear

Owner/Editor

• 2 weeks later...

image.thumb.png.f21c218d1f62c8be79221ed972d9ed4f.png

Found this online. It's called "the Prodigy"( Breville knows how to name things). Heard it got cancelled...what a shame. Would you guys get one if it wasn't cancelled and which new functions do you think is very useful?

I'd definitely go with this recipe programming ability, much better than the current USB one which I never use.

image.thumb.png.939fff1807dfb028f46b4cb19c4722a4.png

• Like 2

On 5/29/2023 at 11:03 AM, SantiagoDraco said:

Because 2 is better than 1!

I use 1 daily, the second is more for when I'm cooking something in big batches where I may need to brown a lot of meat (say Green Chili Pork Stew, or Beef Stew, etc), or cooking multi-part recipes in parallel.   I cook a lot of omelets and sauces.  

The second unit is also the one I take with me camping or for parties or events with friends.

Overkill quite likely :)

I'm curious what are you using to power it when you are camping? I'd love to take it out for picnic/BBQ in parks. But I don't have a RV or vehicle with outlet to plug in.

3 minutes ago, yimyammer said:

sounds awesome, I'd buy

any idea why to was scrapped?

I wish they'd come up with a residential induction cooktop with 4+ burners, I'd replace my gas cooktop if that were an option

No one knows why it was scrapped!

My guess is they don't know the position of the product. It seems like they were still trying to market it as a commercial kitchen product. But their screen and UI looks a lot more like it's for home cooks.

I'd consider buying one as well but need a bit more info.

It seems like everyone with Control Freaks also all have stovetops at home. Hmm...wonder why Breville hasn't thought about that.