• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

New Toy: Breville/Polyscience Control Freak!

CanadianHomeChef

On 1/27/2020 at 6:48 PM, bpwhistler said:

Thanks.  I will return my 3 Misen pans of the same size if I can find that set!  The 12" doesn't wobble empty, and the 10" doesn't wobble with a single egg.  The 8" requires a reasonable amount of weight.  I purchased it as an egg pan for 1-2 eggs.  It still wobbles considerably with a few eggs in it.

Yep, you won't regret it.   The Analon's are especially good for Induction as they have a copper core in the base which further enhances heat distribution.   Fantastic pans.

On 1/26/2020 at 10:43 AM, Anna N said:

But it does!  There are two ways of controlling the Paragon the mat or the probe and they are two separate items. 

I think the Paragon surface probe is likely shorter and maybe has less upward pressure/resistance.  Also the mat on the Paragon likely helps reduce tipping by keeping the pan from sliding relative to the probe.  To tip there needs to be some minute movement across the surface.

Now if we are talking about tipping due to the weight of a handle being too much in relation to the pan that would be a different story.  I have pans that tip on any surface.   Not sure why they would even build them this way :)

7 hours ago, SantiagoDraco said:

I think the Paragon surface probe is likely shorter and maybe has less upward pressure/resistance.  Also the mat on the Paragon likely helps reduce tipping by keeping the pan from sliding relative to the probe.  To tip there needs to be some minute movement across the surface.

Now if we are talking about tipping due to the weight of a handle being too much in relation to the pan that would be a different story.  I have pans that tip on any surface.   Not sure why they would even build them this way :)

Indeed, I have a Cuisinart pan that tips from the handle weight on any surface, even with stuff in it.  Why would they do this?

Has anyone tried the Falk induction copper pans on the Breville or on any other induction cooking surface?

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

• 2 weeks later...

So how's everyone enjoying their Control Freaks?   I'm curious how they've worked for those that have used them for some time.   My experience has been pretty stellar I have to say and I haven't used my gas range but maybe a few times in a couple of years as a result.

I bought my first unit in 2018 and it's still going strong with daily use.   Second unit bought a bit over a year ago.

Other than great experiences so far if I had anything that I found to be an issue it would be that I had difficulty using it with one of the T-Fal nonstick thermospot 12" pans since the pan is not flat and is even less flat when heated.  This caused the surface to "lift" far enough up in the middle that the probe did not have good contact and the pan would not heat.   Gave the pan to a friend and have been using my Anolon and All-clad pans ever since then.

For liquids I find I don't use the probe much with the possible exception of frying.   I'm currently thinking about ways to make a lid that will have a slot for the probe to fit, maybe some kind of semi-rigid silicon lid that I can cut a slot in for the probe.    For deep frying it's not an issue of course.

Overall I think the CF has had the biggest impact on my cooking experiences than any other tool I've used.   

• Like 2

smeared nostrils on windows aside, i want to know why they aren't coming down in price and why a renowned competitor isn't seeing a margin, in bones or clams or whatever you call them?   

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

i'm thinking of getting this set: https://anolon.com/collections/nouvelle-copper-cookware/products/nouvelle-copper-luxe-hard-anodized-nonstick-frying-pan-set

Nouvelle Copper Luxe Frying Pan Set -- 8.5" & 10"

(matching lids are here)

does anyone have that smaller 8.5" pan? i'm wondering if it tips when empty on the CF. the handle looks kinda beefy, so that's why i ask.

i apologize if someone already answered this question, but i scanned this thread and didn't see it.

edit: you can get 10% off on anolon.com with code WELCOME10 (maybe only for first time customers?)

Edited by jaw
added coupon code (log)

20 hours ago, jaw said:

i'm thinking of getting this set: https://anolon.com/collections/nouvelle-copper-cookware/products/nouvelle-copper-luxe-hard-anodized-nonstick-frying-pan-set

does anyone have that smaller 8.5" pan? i'm wondering if it tips when empty on the CF. the handle looks kinda beefy, so that's why i ask.

i apologize if someone already answered this question, but i scanned this thread and didn't see it.

I got what I believe is the same set (based on the above recommendation):

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002QB9TPS

and the smaller one works fine.

If it's exactly centered on the sensor then it'll lift up on the far side by just a millimeter or so (1/32 of an inch), but if you move the handle closer to the sensor by an extra centimeter or so (½ inch) it balances perfectly.

Edited by jbates (log)
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/20/2020 at 12:32 AM, jaw said:

(matching lids are here)

edit: you can get 10% off on anolon.com with code WELCOME10 (maybe only for first time customers?)

That is the set.  I have it myself and it's super.  I don't have any issues with tipping.

• 1 month later...

do you guys ever have issues with cookware not being detected?

i've got some >30yr old stainless stuff -- various 'amway queen' pots and saucepans:

DQlGJE3.jpg

and while they weren't designed with induction in mind, a magnet will stick to them, and they clearly work on induction.

sometimes, my CF will recognize them, and i can use them without issue for hours on end.

other times, it just refuses to recognize them or just stops recognizing them mid cook.

sometimes power cycling the unit fixes it, sometimes not. it sucks :(

the thought occurred to me that something could be wrong with my unit, but i doubt it since all modern 'induction ready' cookware has worked flawlessly.

clearly, there is some programmed coupling threshold for detecting cookware. i wish there were a debug mode where you could adjust that coupling constant!

maybe someday, someone will reverse engineer the firmware and release a custom one with such a debug menu. a guy can dream.

but hm, this thing is under warranty. i wonder if they would be able and willing to tweak that for me to make it more tolerant of cookware?

(and upgrade my firmware while they're at it, lol)

Edited by jaw (log)

Hi everyone.  Just finished all 21 pages, thanks to all who contributed.

I ordered a Freak yesterday and it should be here in @ 2 weeks.

I’ve been using a low cost induction cooker for several years and it is

fairly loud in our quiet rural home.  Can anyone comment on the noise

level of the Freak.

How can you govern a country which has 246 varieties of cheese?

Charles De Gaulle, in "Les Mots du General", 1962

17 minutes ago, md8232 said:

Hi everyone.  Just finished all 21 pages, thanks to all who contributed.

I ordered a Freak yesterday and it should be here in @ 2 weeks.

level of the Freak.

It is very, very quiet.  I doubt you will be able to hear it.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, md8232 said:

level of the Freak.

you can hear the fans running, and depending on the type of cookware used and its positioning, you can hear various high-frequency noises like ringing or buzzing.

however, i would not say it's loud.

There's a 15% off offer on the Control Freak if you are a member of the ChefSteps Studio Pass subscription.   Probably a small target population, but just putting it out there in case there's a possible match to desire.

From the email:

Members of Studio Pass in the United States receive a 15% discount on this incredible device. This deal lasts only 48 hours, so if you have been thinking of joining Studio Pass, now is the time. The discount is worth more than the cost of a year of Studio Pass, so you would be getting the subscription more or less for free. That's smart. 

Edited by lemniscate (log)

Are they still offering a discount for people that had chefsteps premium previously?

Dang, this is a little tempting, but I already have a control freak and getting another one would mean replacing the mirage pro that I have.

3 minutes ago, PositiveMD said:

Are they still offering a discount for people that had chefsteps premium previously?

Dang, this is a little tempting, but I already have a control freak and getting another one would mean replacing the mirage pro that I have.

It said 48 hours in the email I got a 4pm PDT, so not sure exactly how long that is since there's no end time on my info.   Just Studio Pass subs, but I think there's a prorated upgrade from Premium to Studio Pass, or at least there was recently.

Edited by lemniscate (log)

1 hour ago, lemniscate said:

It said 48 hours in the email I got a 4pm PDT, so not sure exactly how long that is since there's no end time on my info.   Just Studio Pass subs, but I think there's a prorated upgrade from Premium to Studio Pass, or at least there was recently.

Any idea what the price is with the discount?  I tried looking without success. 

How can you govern a country which has 246 varieties of cheese?

Charles De Gaulle, in "Les Mots du General", 1962

21 hours ago, KennethT said:

Does anyone know the optimum temperature to fry onions for really crispy onions?  I'd assume it's around 250F but I wouldn't swear to it

Are you asking about onions or onion rings? I know you said onions but all I can think of is crispy shallots as used in various cuisines. So I’m just wondering. 

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

51 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Are you asking about onions or onion rings? I know you said onions but all I can think of is crispy shallots as used in various cuisines. So I’m just wondering. 

Sorry - you had it exactly - crispy shallots used in Thai and Indian (among others) cuisines - sliced very thinly.

1 hour ago, KennethT said:

Sorry - you had it exactly - crispy shallots used in Thai and Indian (among others) cuisines - sliced very thinly.

OK. I have been making crispy onions and crispy shallots for many years. The crispy onions appear in my Danish dishes. I found the best way is thinly sliced, placed in a pot and covered with oil and then heated on medium, stirring often until they are just a few shade short of where you would like them to be. Lift out with a slotted spoon or other implement that will allow the oil to drain from them, scatter them on paper towels, sprinkle with salt and Bob’s your uncle.  They will keep for days at room temperature. Well actually they won’t because I’ll usually eat them up in very short order. 
Keep the oil it can be used in salad dressings and for various other frying jobs  where the flavour will be a complement. 

• Like 4

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

@Anna N That's exactly what I did, and they turned out well (just not enough of them, but then again, is there ever?) but I was just curious if there was a magic perfect temperature that the freak could hold so I wouldn't have to stand over it for 20-30 minutes....

8 hours ago, KennethT said:

@Anna N That's exactly what I did, and they turned out well (just not enough of them, but then again, is there ever?) but I was just curious if there was a magic perfect temperature that the freak could hold so I wouldn't have to stand over it for 20-30 minutes....

Understood. I can be slow sometimes. 😂

• Haha 1

My 2004 eG Blog