• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

New Toy: Breville/Polyscience Control Freak!

CanadianHomeChef

6 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I have to wonder why the Control Freak has this problem and the Paragon mat does not.

But aren’t they talking about using the temperature probe?

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

22 hours ago, bpwhistler said:

I have some smaller non-stick egg and omelet pans.  When I put them on the CF, the spring loaded sensor pushes up against them so they don't sit flat against the glass.  Suggestions?

I’ve only experienced tipping on very small pans. For example, a half quart all clad butter warner, which ended up being returned due to the control freak not always detecting it (it was too small). 

I have a 1 quart Calphalon that kind of tips (no where near as pronounced) but it fixes itself as soon as it has contents. 

No problem with 10 or 8 inch frying pans, but mine are very heavy. 

Edited by CanadianHomeChef (log)
  • Like 1

Sizzle and Sear

Owner/Editor

https://www.sizzleandsear.com/

13 hours ago, SantiagoDraco said:

To be honest?   You probably need to replace the pans.

I use the Anolon Nouvelle Copper Hard Anodized Nonstick skillets.   Super pans for induction (or other).   I also have a pair of All-Clad non stick skillets (8 and 10") and like them both.  The smaller pan is a bit lighter and can tip slightly when empty.

The only real solution to the problem you describe is a different pan.   The Anolon Nouvelle are really great pans for the money.

I second Anolon Copper Nouvelle for nonstick. Great heat distribution that complements the precision of the Control Freak nicely. 

• Like 1

Sizzle and Sear

Owner/Editor

11 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I have to wonder why the Control Freak has this problem and the Paragon mat does not.

Paragon doesn’t have a protruding probe from what I can tell. It’s all contained inside the silicone mat. 

Sizzle and Sear

Owner/Editor

40 minutes ago, CanadianHomeChef said:

Paragon doesn’t have a protruding probe from what I can tell. It’s all contained inside the silicone mat. 

But it does!  There are two ways of controlling the Paragon the mat or the probe and they are two separate items. 

Edited by Anna N
Further clarification. (log)
  • Like 1

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, Anna N said:

But it does!  There are two ways of controlling the Paragon the mat or the probe and they are two separate items. 

Does the Paragon probe go in the pan or underneath it?  From my understanding, one of the things that makes the CF unique is that it has a probe built into the surface of the unit (that the pan sits on) which directly measures the temperature of the pan itself, not the pan contents.

Edit: Sorry - I just found info on the mat (I didn't see previously) that shows the mat's purpose - to measure the pan temperature....

Edited by KennethT (log)
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Anna N said:

That mat doesn't protude, does it though? That sensor is built into the mat, from my understanding. 

Sizzle and Sear

Owner/Editor

2 hours ago, CanadianHomeChef said:

I second Anolon Copper Nouvelle for nonstick. Great heat distribution that complements the precision of the Control Freak nicely. 

Which ACN do you like?  Looks like there's 2 versions for induction - the stainless and luxe which has an anodized alum interior...

42 minutes ago, CanadianHomeChef said:

That mat doesn't protude, does it though? That sensor is built into the mat, from my understanding. 

I am not sure what you mean by protrude.

This shows the set up of both the mat and the probe. They are used independently.

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

2 minutes ago, Anna N said:

I think there's some miscommunication as I used the word "probe" to describe the through the glass sensor on the Control Freak that measures the bottom surface temperature of the cooking vessel. That protrudes from the surface on the Control Freak. On the Paragon, the temperature mat is all flat and wouldn't cause tipping on lighter weight smaller pans. 

Sizzle and Sear

Owner/Editor

29 minutes ago, KennethT said:

Which ACN do you like?  Looks like there's 2 versions for induction - the stainless and luxe which has an anodized alum interior...

Stainless, I think. It's got stainless on the bottom that's got copper sandwiched in.

From the description of the luxe, I don't think it would work on induction. 

Edited by CanadianHomeChef (log)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sizzle and Sear

Owner/Editor

1 minute ago, CanadianHomeChef said:

I think there's some miscommunication as I used the word "probe" to describe the through the glass sensor on the Control Freak that measures the bottom surface temperature of the cooking vessel. That protrudes from the surface on the Control Freak. On the Paragon, the temperature mat is all flat and wouldn't cause tipping on lighter weight smaller pans. 

Thanks for that explanation. I have actually seen the Control Freak in action but I’ve never noticed any issues such as are being discussed.  And the temperature probe of the Paragon will definitely tip a pan if the pan is not heavy enough and/or deep enough.

My 2004 eG Blog

7 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Thanks for that explanation. I have actually seen the Control Freak in action but I’ve never noticed any issues such as are being discussed.  And the temperature probe of the Paragon will definitely tip a pan if the pan is not heavy enough and/or deep enough.

Yeah, I guess it would make sense that the in-pot probe could tip something light.

The through-the-glass tipping problem I've only seen with the smallest of pans. 

Sizzle and Sear

Owner/Editor

27 minutes ago, CanadianHomeChef said:

I put my Paragon by the window in hopes of illustrating this.   Without the mat, the surface is perfectly smooth:

IMG_1814.thumb.jpeg.064d684b7c9356126b04749160793cfb.jpeg

The mat is flexible and hopefully, you can see that the sensor in the middle does actually sit just slightly proud of the surface when there is no pan to press it down:

IMG_1816.thumb.jpeg.f5baabb16312c75ab806f79a6e00608a.jpeg

My 1 qt All Clad saucier, which has a fairly heavy handle can be a little tippy on this surface when empty. As I've used it more, this seems to be less of an issue.  Maybe the mat has gotten less stiff than when brand new? I dunno. 

Edited to add:  @CanadianHomeChef, thanks for all your contributions to this thread and the table of temps you linked to in the first post.  I can't afford a Control Freak but am just delving into this topic for tips I can use with my bargain Paragon and appreciate your input!

Edited by blue_dolphin (log)
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

I put my Paragon by the window in hopes of illustrating this.   Without the mat, the surface is perfectly smooth:

IMG_1814.thumb.jpeg.064d684b7c9356126b04749160793cfb.jpeg

The mat is flexible and hopefully, you can see that the sensor in the middle does actually sit just slightly proud of the surface when there is no pan to press it down:

IMG_1816.thumb.jpeg.f5baabb16312c75ab806f79a6e00608a.jpeg

My 1 qt All Clad saucier, which has a fairly heavy handle can be a little tippy on this surface when empty. As I've used it more, this seems to be less of an issue.  Maybe the mat has gotten less stiff than when brand new? I dunno. 

Edited to add:  @CanadianHomeChef, thanks for all your contributions to this thread and the table of temps you linked to in the first post.  I can't afford a Control Freak but am just delving into this topic for tips I can use with my bargain Paragon and appreciate your input!

Thanks! I was wrong about their not being a protruding sensor. Never looked at it that closely. 

• Like 1

Sizzle and Sear

Owner/Editor

8 hours ago, Anna N said:

But aren’t they talking about using the temperature probe?

I didn't think so but I see my comment has caused untold confusion.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

56 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I didn't think so but I see my comment has caused untold confusion.

My fault. 

My 2004 eG Blog

11 hours ago, CanadianHomeChef said:

What’s the smallest diameter fryer from Nouvelle have you used without tipping issues?  With just a few eggs in it perhaps. 

I bought a set of three. I believe they are roughly 8.5", 10", and 12.5". An empty 8.5 has a slight wobble that's barely noticeable (I had to go and check, as I couldn't even remember, and I use it everyday)... once you have an egg in it, it no longer wobbles. 

• Like 1

Sizzle and Sear

Owner/Editor

On 1/25/2020 at 10:44 AM, CanadianHomeChef said:

I use these: https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/vileda-glass-ceramic-scrunge-4-pk-0427675p.0427675.html?gclid=CjwKCAiA66_xBRBhEiwAhrMuLU0iocUxAjPyAMsQr_K5Nxc_AKXZ7YxAO8O2xhvhxPcKGikSFRfoaxoC_14QAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Some people say that it might be a little harsh on the glass top, but it works on removing everything. After using my pair of control freaks everyday for the last 1.5 years, light scratches have been inevitable. Does not detract from the performance.

I ended up trying some gel toothpaste and a soft bristled toothbrush.  It came right up.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, CanadianHomeChef said:

I bought a set of three. I believe they are roughly 8.5", 10", and 12.5". An empty 8.5 has a slight wobble that's barely noticeable (I had to go and check, as I couldn't even remember, and I use it everyday)... once you have an egg in it, it no longer wobbles. 

Thanks.  I will return my 3 Misen pans of the same size if I can find that set!  The 12" doesn't wobble empty, and the 10" doesn't wobble with a single egg.  The 8" requires a reasonable amount of weight.  I purchased it as an egg pan for 1-2 eggs.  It still wobbles considerably with a few eggs in it.

On 1/25/2020 at 10:25 PM, JoNorvelleWalker said:

If referring to the tipping issue it's due to the temperature sensor that protrudes from the glass top of the Breville.   It has some resistance to it (it drops down as you put a pan on it) so that it remains in constant contact with the pan it is sensing the temperature of.   Very light pans, or pans with an ungainly handle weight (in relation to the pan itself) can wobble.   This would likely be somewhat of an issue on any surface for those pans but the sensor adds a bit of pressure that can be enough to cause the tipping.