• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

New Toy: Breville/Polyscience Control Freak!

CanadianHomeChef

5 hours ago, eugenep said:

My memory of Modernist Cuisine book, was that french fries won't be oily because the water leaves the potato as it gets soaked in hot oil. As long as water is pushing out the oil can't have a chance to get in. So the fries won't be oily if you take it out before it loses  the water. 

I also read that oil based marinades don't really work on proteins that well because the water in the protein will keep oil out. 

Because water and oil do not mix and if there is water in the fish protein, then the oil won't enter the fish and oil poaching might work  (my guess?)

Sounds reasonable but like I say I am not an expert and haven't educated myself on the science of it.    My point is that when Teonzo implied you can sous vide food directly in oil that is not true.  The fish example is a specific technique and is not "sous vide".

On 11/3/2019 at 12:02 PM, PositiveMD said:

I wanted to post an update. Earlier this year, I had some issues with the control freak constantly tripping my circuit. 

I moved to a new place and I'm happy to report I haven't had any issues with any of my induction hobs tripping the circuit. 

I have another thing I wanted to ask y'all. How have you been cleaning your control freak? I have this white circle on mine and I'm not sure what the best way to clean it.

I've been using my Control Freaks for a couple years now (one since Jan 2018 and the second from mid 2019) and I just using either Windex or a general spray cleaner.  I've had no issues and they look pretty much brand new.

One of the key things is to be sure to not put a pan on if there's any moisture on the surface (or other gunk) or it will be harder to clean.  However even when grease/oil splatters and makes it's way under it's pretty easy to clean the surface.  Just don't let it go through a bunch of cook cycles without being clean.  I clean thoroughly after every cook.

• Like 1

Cooks Illustrated just reviewed induction plates and said that most are flawed, but liked the control freak and the Max Burton.

In their tests they said that they were pretty much equivalent in every day tasks.

5 minutes ago, gfweb said:

Cooks Illustrated just reviewed induction plates and said that most are flawed, but liked the control freak and the Max Burton.

In their tests they said that they were pretty much equivalent in every day tasks.

Are they saying that they considered the Max Burton and the Control Freak to be equivalent in every day tasks? Or are they saying that all induction plates are pretty much equivalent? I’m probably just being dense. 

Edited by Anna N
Because I didn’t have my brain plugged in (log)

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, Anna N said:

Are they saying that they considered the Max Burton and the Control Freak to be equivalent in every day tasks? Or are they saying that all induction plates are pretty much equivalent? I’m probably just being dense. 

They said that these two were equivalent and the rest were flawed.

(Heavy paraphrasing)

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, gfweb said:

(Heavy paraphrasing)

I note they made no mention of the Paragon.

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

10 hours ago, gfweb said:

(Heavy paraphrasing)

I just read the article and don't see where they said they were equivalent.  They said the MB can hold "consistent" temperatures but my reading of that is that they are not talking at all about precision but rather a general range.   I did not read the paywall parts of the article but the write up was completely available for free.

They also stated that only the Breville could do "sous vide" which essentially tells you the MB doesn't compare to the CF in terms of temperature control.  That said it's likely a great cooktop for the money.

27 minutes ago, SantiagoDraco said:

I just read the article and don't see where they said they were equivalent.  They said the MB can hold "consistent" temperatures but my reading of that is that they are not talking at all about precision but rather a general range.   I did not read the paywall parts of the article but the write up was completely available for free.

They also stated that only the Breville could do "sous vide" which essentially tells you the MB doesn't compare to the CF in terms of temperature control.  That said it's likely a great cooktop for the money.

So you read part of the article. 
My paraphrase was accurate.   
OF COURSE they got it wrong. 
Duh. 

• 2 weeks later...

Any recommendations for a "walk away no worries" toasting nuts and seeds using The Control Freak in order to avoid burning? There is a video from Polyscience online about toasting spices and not having any risk of burning. I guess I'm wondering if the same technique would apply to nuts.

Edited by CameronL (log)

18 hours ago, CameronL said:

Any recommendations for a "walk away no worries" toasting nuts and seeds using The Control Freak in order to avoid burning? There is a video from Polyscience online about toasting spices and not having any risk of burning. I guess I'm wondering if the same technique would apply to nuts.

https://thecontrolfreak.breville.com/ recommends 140°C the same as it suggests for spices.

However, https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0561/0929/files/CMC850_Temperature_Chart_original-rev-1.pdf suggests 160°C for nuts, vs 120-150°C for spices.  (There is a centigrade version of this chart somewhere online.)

Edited by Snowpup (log)

I've seen a "general" rule from NIH suggesting roasting temperatures of 125-150°C for 10 min, won't negatively affect the nut and/or oil.  There is also a ton of literature out there on roasting temperatures for optimizing cold press (non-solvent) oil extraction yield, color and flavor (mostly from the maillard reaction?) for specific families of nuts.  ex.  Peanuts 20min @ 140°C, Pistachios 30min @ 100°C, Almonds 10min @ 135°C.

I bought one of these and took delivery last week. It's a UK model, badged "Sage Commercial" and it has an extra power setting, Max, which delivers 2400 watts.

Given that you can buy an induction hob on Amazon UK for £45 I would never have spent 20 times as much but it was a present and the giver specifically wanted me to have something extravagant.

This device stands or falls on the ability to measure and maintain temperature with great accuracy and to a lesser extent to deliver consistent power without pulsing.

While experimenting I found some strange behaviour - in some situations it seemed to get hotter than I would expect - I could see oil shimmering when the temperature was set to 130C for example.

So I did an experiment, first with water in a saucepan, when I used Pan Control but also had the probe in. I'd previously checked the probe against a separate thermometer and they were very close. I set a target temperature of 90C. What I expected to see is for both temperatures to rise, with the water temperature lagging behind the pan temperature, and equalising or nearly so at the end.

That's what I saw at first but while the pan temperature reached 90C and stayed there, the water temperature continued to rise until it reached 93C.

I tried the same thing with a cast iron frying pan and this time the water reached 100C and boiled fiercely so the pan must have been over 100C, yet the display said 90C.

Today I repeated the experiment with oil to remove the limiting caused by  the boiling point of water.

Here's what I saw:

IMG_20191230_122648.thumb.jpg.0ac207f875149023d9236c57d24637d7.jpg

This was at the peak of the overshoot. I waited 20 minutes until a steady state was reached and though the pan temperature was 90C the oil temperature was 98C.

I tried again on Slow and this time it wasn't so pronounced. This was after waiting 20 minutes for a steady state:

IMG_20191230_141509.thumb.jpg.e40fb785759fd8075e34dc2aef4123ba.jpg

Unless I've totally misunderstood the laws of physics, something is wrong here. The liquid can't be hotter than the container which is heating it.

Since I've checked the probe and I know it's accurate, the only answer that I can come up with is that the pan sensor is significantly under-reading the pan temperature, and by an amount which depends on the pan construction.

This is rather alarming. If I was shallow frying, such as making an omelette, there's no way I would be able to check the pan temperature was correct - I don't have an IR thermometer.

I'd be interested to know if anyone else has seen this as right now it's hard to see a reason not to return it.

• Confused 1

On 12/30/2019 at 8:21 AM, Max Q said:

I bought one of these and took delivery last week. It's a UK model, badged "Sage Commercial" and it has an extra power setting, Max, which delivers 2400 watts.

Given that you can buy an induction hob on Amazon UK for £45 I would never have spent 20 times as much but it was a present and the giver specifically wanted me to have something extravagant.

This device stands or falls on the ability to measure and maintain temperature with great accuracy and to a lesser extent to deliver consistent power without pulsing.

While experimenting I found some strange behaviour - in some situations it seemed to get hotter than I would expect - I could see oil shimmering when the temperature was set to 130C for example.

So I did an experiment, first with water in a saucepan, when I used Pan Control but also had the probe in. I'd previously checked the probe against a separate thermometer and they were very close. I set a target temperature of 90C. What I expected to see is for both temperatures to rise, with the water temperature lagging behind the pan temperature, and equalising or nearly so at the end.

That's what I saw at first but while the pan temperature reached 90C and stayed there, the water temperature continued to rise until it reached 93C.

I tried the same thing with a cast iron frying pan and this time the water reached 100C and boiled fiercely so the pan must have been over 100C, yet the display said 90C.

Today I repeated the experiment with oil to remove the limiting caused by  the boiling point of water.

Here's what I saw:

IMG_20191230_122648.thumb.jpg.0ac207f875149023d9236c57d24637d7.jpg

This was at the peak of the overshoot. I waited 20 minutes until a steady state was reached and though the pan temperature was 90C the oil temperature was 98C.

I tried again on Slow and this time it wasn't so pronounced. This was after waiting 20 minutes for a steady state:

IMG_20191230_141509.thumb.jpg.e40fb785759fd8075e34dc2aef4123ba.jpg

Unless I've totally misunderstood the laws of physics, something is wrong here. The liquid can't be hotter than the container which is heating it.

Since I've checked the probe and I know it's accurate, the only answer that I can come up with is that the pan sensor is significantly under-reading the pan temperature, and by an amount which depends on the pan construction.

This is rather alarming. If I was shallow frying, such as making an omelette, there's no way I would be able to check the pan temperature was correct - I don't have an IR thermometer.

I'd be interested to know if anyone else has seen this as right now it's hard to see a reason not to return it.

This is unusual behaviour. I have two USA models and have never seen the content temperature rise above the pan temperature. Of course if you turn down the heat there will be a period of time when your contents will be hotter, but that doesn't seem to be the case for you. I'd exchange the item. 

Edited by CanadianHomeChef (log)

Sizzle and Sear

Owner/Editor

https://www.sizzleandsear.com/

1 hour ago, CanadianHomeChef said:

I've used a 12 inch and it works good. There is obviously going to be some gradiation, but it's kept minimal if the pan is made out of good material (I use All Clad D7 and Anolon Copper Nouvelle for nonstick) 

Thanks! I have Demeyere Atlantis cookware so should be good. The only issue I have with my induction range is that I’m limited by only having one 11” hob. So the other day I had to make risotto first, then keep it warm and make the duck breasts. Only problem with induction compared to gas. Figure another cooktop could eliminate that. 

On 1/6/2020 at 8:30 PM, Robenco15 said:

What’s the largest pan diameter you can successfully use on the control freak? 11”? 

I've successfully used my Kuhn Rikon 11" hotel pressure cooker, rock steady pressure at 122°C.

• Like 2

I’ve been following and lusting after the CF since they were first announced and not even available. The sticker shock always held me back. I’m embarrassed to admit that I found this thread, read it through in one sitting, and immediately ordered my CF. Then I started thinking how nice 2 would be! I restrained myself. That was yesterday. Waiting to get notification of shipping. Super excited. 

• Like 6

On 1/7/2020 at 3:34 PM, CanadianHomeChef said:

I've used a 12 inch and it works good. There is obviously going to be some gradiation, but it's kept minimal if the pan is made out of good material (I use All Clad D7 and Anolon Copper Nouvelle for nonstick) 

I'm interested in the D7 line, solely as it relates to the Control Freak. I have some Caphalon, Cuisinart, All-Clad Copper Core, a Staub ceramic coated dutch oven, and a cast iron skillet.  When D7 first came out, I was salivating over it.  Sort of like the Control °Freak.  I was waiting to see if they came out with a larger selection.  They started to...but then they discontinued it! What the heck!!  Do you like your D7? Overpriced?  I've read that D5 is just as good and not as heavy?  I can still get a set on Amazon for $799.  Should I just stick with my hodge podge collection to use with the Control Freak? If D7 had ever expanded into a full set...I'd be all over it!

Edited by Smithy
Clarified purpose at request of poster (log)

Received my CF today.  I was super excited.  Unpacked it. Was looking at it lovingly.  Then noticed something odd.  The plug was NOT USA standard.  I flipped the CF over. 220/240 V.  They sent me a European version! Crap.  I called them up.  She was nice.  I was nice.  She sent me a shipping label and said as soon as they receive mine and process it they'll ship out a correct version.  LOL   I guess I won't be playing with my CF quite as soon as I thought I would.

• Sad 3

10 hours ago, bpwhistler said:

Received my CF today.  I was super excited.  Unpacked it. Was looking at it lovingly.  Then noticed something odd.  The plug was NOT USA standard.  I flipped the CF over. 220/240 V.  They sent me a European version! Crap.  I called them up.  She was nice.  I was nice.  She sent me a shipping label and said as soon as they receive mine and process it they'll ship out a correct version.  LOL   I guess I won't be playing with my CF quite as soon as I thought I would.

Just plug it in where the washer/dryer or stove goes*

*do not do this

• Haha 3

On 1/9/2020 at 4:36 PM, bpwhistler said:

I'm interested in the D7 line, solely as it relates to the Control Freak. I have some Caphalon, Cuisinart, All-Clad Copper Core, a Staub ceramic coated dutch oven, and a cast iron skillet.  When D7 first came out, I was salivating over it.  Sort of like the Control °Freak.  I was waiting to see if they came out with a larger selection.  They started to...but then they discontinued it! What the heck!!  Do you like your D7? Overpriced?  I've read that D5 is just as good and not as heavy?  I can still get a set on Amazon for $799.  Should I just stick with my hodge podge collection to use with the Control Freak? If D7 had ever expanded into a full set...I'd be all over it!

I have several AC and Demeyere pans and they all work great.  I have no D5.  The D5 isn't as good as either the D3 or the D7 for heat distribution due to it having thinner AL layers than the other two.  At least that's what I understand has been found in testing.  This is more important for induction since the induction ring is not as big as the pan itself so heat conductivity is critical for even heat distribution.

I have a 12" D7 frying pan, one of the best pans for high heat frying I've used.   I also have the D7 dutch oven which is great if not using my La Creuset.  But yeah too bad they discontinued it.  If you can find a 12" D7 fry pan I'd recommend grabbing one.  Otherwise I'd go D3 or if your budget is higher Demeyere.

As for sets.... my recommendation is to never buy a set.  Buy the pieces you need as you can afford them.   Sets almost always have half of what you need and half of what you don't.   I'd suggest waiting for the next All-Clad VIP sale on homeandcooksales.com where you can get some great deals on All Clad.    I also highly recommend the Demeyere "Silver 7" line which is exclusive at Sur La Table.   I love the conical saucier and saute pans.   

• Like 1