• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

New Toy: Breville/Polyscience Control Freak!

CanadianHomeChef

I just head out to a thrift store with a magnet in my purse and find a few pots that will work on induction. Watch for the magnetic ones with bottoms that aren't flat though - won't work.

1 minute ago, CanadianHomeChef said:

Smaller pots might overshoot. Happens to my tiny 1 quart. Might happen to thinner pots too. 

My 7ply barely overshoot, even on high. 

I have one little pot - it's an all clad saucier - half the time it's not recognized - other half it is. 

5 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

I just head out to a thrift store with a magnet in my purse and find a few pots that will work on induction. Watch for the magnetic ones with bottoms that aren't flat though - won't work.

Avoid calphalon then. Distinct lack of flatness in sauté pans. 

• Like 1

I found a truly beautiful pan - highly magnetic, right size, right shape, perfect finish. It had an intentional concave bottom. So disappointing when it wouldn’t sense it!

On 6/11/2019 at 12:56 PM, AngelicLiar said:

A question to the pros here - do you know what the firmware update status for European units is?

Also, what features are actually enabled by the firmware updates (=how hard should I try to get updates for my unit)?

Thanks!

Mine is running 5.27.  I checked with David at Polyscience at the beginning of the year and there weren't any updates.

if you really want to try.  Speak to https://www.sousvidetools.com/ who are the Master Distributor for the UK and most of Europe.

Edited by Snowpup (log)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

I wanted to share my excitement after using my shiny new Control Freak; for the first time in my life, I was able to replicate a Youtube recipe and get the exact same result (this was merely Polyscience's omelette recipe, but it's a start!), and also to get ten pancakes all at the exact same level of doneness!

I am super excited. Thank you all for your in-depth discussions here that helped drive me to buy this amazing device!

I'd also like to share my own contribution to this thread - I've converted Polyscience's temperature chart linked here a few times (lastly by @ocd in the previous post) to Celsius, for those of us metrically-inclined. I've made a few versions:

The same chart, but in Celsius

A "clean" chart, with some unnecessary text removed (mostly marketing text eg. "Temp control as low as 86" - we know! We already bought the thing!)

I've also made an "enhanced" chart with extra temps (converted to Celsius!) from @CanadianHomeChef's precision cooking site, and with your permission I can post that as well!

Edited by AngelicLiar (log)
  • Like 1

On 7/2/2019 at 4:36 PM, ElsieD said:

@CanadianHomeChef  These are great charts, thanks for posting them.  If you are looking for inspiration, try a custard based ice cream.

Funny. I just made chocolate ice cream the other day. So silky. 

Sizzle and Sear

Owner/Editor

https://www.sizzleandsear.com/

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, how'd I miss this forum/thread!   Another CF owner here.   CanadianHomeChef when I read your posts here I thought I could be reading posts from my doppelganger!   I bought my first CF in January 2018 and my second around August.   It's a fantastic device and I find that most people can't grasp just how capable it is or how much it can change the way we cook.   Many of the examples I see here mirror my experiences so closely, like cooking eggs benedict to making stock.   Being about to set a temp and turn and walk away is something you couldn't do with any other device.

I think it's likely I'll remove the stove from my new house and install an oven only, still debating.  I haven't used the burners on the range in over a year.   I've also found that I'm spending a lot of money on cookware now... this thing has infected me with the kitchen expansion bug.   I'll have to post some pictures of my pots and pans collection sometime.   

I find that I don't use the probe a whole lot as I haven't ventured into recipes where liquid temperature is critical enough to require it.  I find that things like Hollander sauce, soups, stocks even melting chocolate work just fine with the pan sensor since the main issue in those cases is not going over temp rather than having an exact temp.   That said if I do venture into more dishes I may find a need but so far I haven't used it much.

I also have a Vollrath Mirage Pro which sits on a shelf as a backup unit since once I bought the first CF the Vollrath hasn't been used.  It's temperature control is so far off compared to the CF that I see it more as a hot plate conceptually than as a precision cooking device.

Anyway just thought I'd say hello to my fellow CF converts.   Cheers!

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, SantiagoDraco said:

Wow, how'd I miss this forum/thread!   Another CF owner here.   CanadianHomeChef when I read your posts here I thought I could be reading posts from my doppelganger!   I bought my first CF in January 2018 and my second around August.   It's a fantastic device and I find that most people can't grasp just how capable it is or how much it can change the way we cook.   Many of the examples I see here mirror my experiences so closely, like cooking eggs benedict to making stock.   Being about to set a temp and turn and walk away is something you couldn't do with any other device.

I think it's likely I'll remove the stove from my new house and install an oven only, still debating.  I haven't used the burners on the range in over a year.   I've also found that I'm spending a lot of money on cookware now... this thing has infected me with the kitchen expansion bug.   I'll have to post some pictures of my pots and pans collection sometime.   

I find that I don't use the probe a whole lot as I haven't ventured into recipes where liquid temperature is critical enough to require it.  I find that things like Hollander sauce, soups, stocks even melting chocolate work just fine with the pan sensor since the main issue in those cases is not going over temp rather than having an exact temp.   That said if I do venture into more dishes I may find a need but so far I haven't used it much.

I also have a Vollrath Mirage Pro which sits on a shelf as a backup unit since once I bought the first CF the Vollrath hasn't been used.  It's temperature control is so far off compared to the CF that I see it more as a hot plate conceptually than as a precision cooking device.

Welcome Draco - looks like you'll fit right in here. Careful though - we are all enablers and you might end up with even more stuff. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

Made some Bibimbap using cast iron dolsots I bought over a year ago. Worked perfectly on the Control Freak as I could dial into 450 to crisp the rice without worrying about it going over. The dolsots were sizzling at the table 😋 

02FCF2A5-1E37-4497-B13B-29F369224A64.jpeg

• Like 2

Sizzle and Sear

Owner/Editor

1 hour ago, SantiagoDraco said:

Hah. I upgraded my pots too after getting the CF. I went with All Clad D7 for stainless and Anolon Copper Nouvelle for nonstick. Would have gone with Demeyere Proline but I got the D7 on the cheap off eBay. 

I actually have found pan control more useful than probe control for liquid custards. The reason being is that probe control will allow the pan to get hotter than the target temperature. So unless you are constantly stirring to circulate the ingredients, parts of it will get too hot. I tend to use pan control to start a custard. And then switch over to probe towards the end, minimizing the need to constantly stir :)

• Like 2

Sizzle and Sear

Owner/Editor

On 7/12/2019 at 9:27 PM, CanadianHomeChef said:

Hah. I upgraded my pots too after getting the CF. I went with All Clad D7 for stainless and Anolon Copper Nouvelle for nonstick. Would have gone with Demeyere Proline but I got the D7 on the cheap off eBay. 

I actually have found pan control more useful than probe control for liquid custards. The reason being is that probe control will allow the pan to get hotter than the target temperature. So unless you are constantly stirring to circulate the ingredients, parts of it will get too hot. I tend to use pan control to start a custard. And then switch over to probe towards the end, minimizing the need to constantly stir :)

Too funny, I picked up the D7 and the Anolon 8 and 10" as well.   However I've bought a bunch of All-Clad and Demeyer as well, pans and pots.   I'll post some photos at some point.

I laughed when I saw the Youtube videos by Binging with Babish and Jon Favreau (there are two videos, one on BB channel and one on the Netflix "Chef" show).    They use the CF but obviously have no clue HOW to use it.  They melt chocolate....using a double boiler.... boggle.   They have no clue about the temperature control, obviously.

So for some reason my local Sobey's is clearing out their selection of Ghiradeli chocolate chips :( These are my favorite kind of chocolate, and unfortunately I've never been able to locate the baking bars in Canada, so I rely on the chocolate chips. The chips were initially 50% off, and then they marked them down another 50%. So $1.40 a bag! I cleared out what they had on the shelf (just 8 bags). I'll be returning later to see if they restock the shelves. I tried other Sobeys and unfortunately they've only marked them 50% (and not the additional 50%). 

Needless to say I'll be doing lots of melting and tempering on the CF :D

Also utilized my Vaccum chamber I bought a couple months ago. Vaccuum sealed in mason jars and put in the freezer.

2019-07-17_22-48-44_051.jpeg

• Like 2

Sizzle and Sear

Owner/Editor

Nice find on the chocolate.   I haven't really done much with it on the CF yet but soon.

Here's the kitchen with one of the CF in use (the second one is in it's case until needed) and the pots/pans/etc that I "had" to buy after buying the first CF.    Yeah I just had to.

20190720_163012 - smaller.jpg

20190720_163027 smaller.jpg

• Like 8

Nice! I just recently put away my second control freak for counter top space. Plan is to only take it out when needed.... bet I'll have them both out by the end of next week :P

You're kitchen is oddly familiar. I just recently bought one of those giant wire shelves and put a bunch of pans and appliances on it. I also see you have a VacMaster, a Le Creuset bimaterial ladle, and a Breville Smart Grill :P I'm actually getting rid of my grill. Packed it away when I got the control freak as I find a large frying pan or grill pan works even better on it :) Just haven't sold it yet. 

Sizzle and Sear

Owner/Editor

1 hour ago, SantiagoDraco said:

Here's the kitchen with one of the CF in use (the second one is in it's case until needed) and the pots/pans/etc that I "had" to buy after buying the first CF.    Yeah I just had to.

Welcome, SD. I venture to guess that you'll fit right in... :)

• Like 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning