• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

New Toy: Breville/Polyscience Control Freak!

CanadianHomeChef

2 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

I just printed out the chart and wow!  Temperatures for tempering chocolate, dark milk and white.  That is one of the things I was hoping to do with it, especially since it will hold the chocolate in temper.  Also given are temperatures for making caramel which will simplify making my salted caramel ice cream.  Etc. Etc. Etc.  Thank you so much!

No problem. The sweating garlic temp seems to be spot on at 230. I think one of the temps on that chart I found a little off, but it's a good starting point :) A bit difficult to read some of the stuff, but overall good.

I've tempered chocolate on the control freak for Brownies and found it very good. Caramel sauces and simple syrups were also a snap :)

• Like 1

Sizzle and Sear

Owner/Editor

https://www.sizzleandsear.com/

Eggs Benedict. Hollandaise and poached eggs flawlessly done on the Control Freak. Bread toasted and bacon browned the old fashion way.

I’ve made Eggs Benedict 3 times in my life. It’s one of my favourite dishes but every time I make it, I remember how much easier it is to just order it at a restaurant. Not anymore. The hollandaise sauce was so easy to make and could be held at temp. Poached eggs are also cool proof. When I get my second unit next week, it’ll be even easier :) (third unit crossed my mind while making this dish 😂, but if I really want to make it easy, I’ll take out the tasty one top for poaching or just learn how to do it the old fashion way since I don’t think I need so much precision)

C17E7D1A-42F3-4288-93B5-46DC90AC6431.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Delicious 1

Sizzle and Sear

Owner/Editor

2 hours ago, CanadianHomeChef said:

Eggs Benedict. Hollandaise and poached eggs flawlessly done on the Control Freak. Bread toasted and bacon browned the old fashion way.

I’ve made Eggs Benedict 3 times in my life. It’s one of my favourite dishes but every time I make it, I remember how much easier it is to just order it at a restaurant. Not anymore. The hollandaise sauce was so easy to make and could be held at temp. Poached eggs are also cool proof. When I get my second unit next week, it’ll be even easier :) (third unit crossed my mind while making this dish 😂, but if I really want to make it easy, I’ll take out the tasty one top for poaching or just learn how to do it the old fashion way since I don’t think I need so much precision)

C17E7D1A-42F3-4288-93B5-46DC90AC6431.jpeg

Did you scale the hollandaise recipe down? There are just the two of us and that recipe makes a lot.

I did use the recipe you gave me! I scaled it in half and there was more than enough for 2 full English muffins (4 halfs). The only thing is I’d use a small sauce pan since it was pretty shallow for the probe. And actually next time I will try pan control to get then contents to the right temperature, as I found the probe got in the way for whisking. Maybe have it on the slow setting to avoid scorching (I use pan control for caramel and tempering chocolate, as it controls the temperature just as well, just have to double check the content temps (never hotter than the pan though) 

Sizzle and Sear

Owner/Editor

Hopefully I will be picking it up tomorrow.  A lot of the city does not yet have power, and that might well still include Purolator.    We don't have power yet either but if I can I will pick it up, unwrap it, put it on the counter  and at least admire it.  

• Sad 1

24 minutes ago, Okanagancook said:

I really need to stop reading this thread 🤑 based on my experience with the CSO, Instapot.....and many other Egullet inspired purchases. 😫

Come on over to the dark side.  You know you want to.😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Okanagancook said:

I really need to stop reading this thread 🤑 based on my experience with the CSO, Instapot.....and many other Egullet inspired purchases. 😫

I keep looking at the price. It helps to quell the yearning. 

And who has extra counter space?????

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, gfweb said:

I keep looking at the price. It helps to quell the yearning. 

And who has extra counter space?????

Well my regular induction range hasn't seen much use since I bought one of these. Maybe use the surface of that as extra counter space? haha

• Like 2

Sizzle and Sear

Owner/Editor

It's here!  Thanks to our power outage, I have a dozen eggs we can't eat and I will use them to practice poached eggs.  @CanadianHomeChef what temperature and time did you use?  The chart you linked to has a range of 145 to 178.  What doesn't make sense to me is that 145 is for a tight white while 178 is for a loose white.  I would have thought it should be the other way around.  I like a set white, none of that loose yucky stuff but a runny yolk.  

For a change, I will read the booklets that came with it before I do anything.

20180924_161926.jpg

• Like 5

3 hours ago, ElsieD said:

It's here!  Thanks to our power outage, I have a dozen eggs we can't eat and I will use them to practice poached eggs.  @CanadianHomeChef what temperature and time did you use?  The chart you linked to has a range of 145 to 178.  What doesn't make sense to me is that 145 is for a tight white while 178 is for a loose white.  I would have thought it should be the other way around.  I like a set white, none of that loose yucky stuff but a runny yolk.  

For a change, I will read the booklets that came with it before I do anything.

20180924_161926.jpg

Nice!

I think 145 refers to the temp that the tight white (the one closest to the egg) will set. Where 178 is when the outer white, or loose white, will set. Might want to double check other Sous Vide egg charts to see if that’s right. 

Sizzle and Sear

Owner/Editor

2 minutes ago, CanadianHomeChef said:

Nice!

I think 145 refers to the temp that the tight white (the one closest to the egg) will set. Where 178 is when the outer white, or loose white, will set. Might want to double check other Sous Vide egg charts to see if that’s right. 

Will do.  Although when I poach eggs just in a pot on the stove, the outside white is usually set while the white closest to the yolk is the icky part.

I did not do much with the CF today as I was feeling a bit under the weather.  I did fool around with it enough to learn how to use the probe and the temperature of the pot contents, in this case water, was exactly the same as the reading I got on my thermopan.  I also watched a bunch of videos and made some notes on what temperature to cook what at.  I also need to go through this thread again and make relevant notes.  That, and work on my poached eggs.  Lots of fun coming up.  

5 hours ago, rotuts said:

however there are now copper / stainless steel pans

These look to be deBuyer Prima Matera.  If so, they are only 1.8mm copper foil.  I had one, and was unimpressed.

If you want induction-compatible copper, better to consider Mazzetti.  But it is tin-lined.

7 hours ago, ElsieD said:

@Kerry Beal and/or @ChocoMom can you look at the above video on tempering chocolate and tell me what you think?  I'd value your opinion before I go out and spend a small fortune on chocolate.  The video is not very long.

I can't see if they turned down the temperature after adding the seed - but it looks like it's worked. Start with some cheap chocolate for your trials.