• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

dtremit

dtremit

Removed redundant post and replaced with relevant one

On 7/17/2020 at 1:26 PM, SantiagoDraco said:

Just saw this.  Interesting but not sure why anyone would pay those prices for the Vollrath over the Control Freak which to me seems to be a much more capable (and certainly better looking) product.  I'm sure the Vollrath is rugged and all but the CF has it all, including an actual physical probe for the pan (very important for accurate temps) vs the under glass probe of the Vollrath.

The list prices on the Vollrath website seem to bear no relation to reality. Street price on the MPI4-1800S (wattage equivalent to the Control Freak) is ~$825.

The much more interesting Vollrath (to me) is the 3800W 240v model, which retails for about $1550.

dtremit

dtremit

On 6/24/2020 at 6:02 PM, JoNorvelleWalker said:

My Paragon was $69.97...and it has a spring loaded pan sensor.  Setting a pan temperature is great for pressure cookers.

Late to this thread (didn't realize there was Paragon discussion here too!) 

What pan temperature do you use for your PC on the Paragon?

(Edit: nevermind -- see you covered that elsewhere.)

dtremit

dtremit

On 6/24/2020 at 6:02 PM, JoNorvelleWalker said:

My Paragon was $69.97...and it has a spring loaded pan sensor.  Setting a pan temperature is great for pressure cookers.

Late to this thread (didn't realize there was Paragon discussion here too!) 

What pan temperature do you use for your PC on the Paragon?