• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

CanadianHomeChef

CanadianHomeChef

On 6/27/2020 at 3:46 AM, EsaK said:

Thanks @CanadianHomeChef! So the rim (or is there not a rim at all, hard to see from any video/photo?) as pointed out in the below screenshot, shouldn't be an issue? I mean if a pan goes beyond the rim, it should still get contact and heat? 

Quickly checking Modernist Cuisine, I suppose GN pans aren't the greatest conductors with their relative thinness, when comparing to for example regular frying pans. Would be curious to hear still if anyone has used GN pans on their Control Freak. 

Screenshot 2020-06-27 at 12.40.39.png

There's nothing to stop you from overhanging the black square on top. I'd avoid doing it at the front as the heat may transfer to the controls.... but on the other hand, I've had hot oil overflow on me and cover the entire control freak. Didn't damage anything. It's built well and you can see it getting abused in a commercial kitchen and coming out fine. Weight also shouldn't be an issue --- I frequently heat up a 12 qt pot of water to get a head start on sous vide. I think technically it's over the limit stated in the manual; however, there was a promo video PolyScience produced that advocated using the CF to simmer a full 12 or 16 qt stock pot of soup overnight.

Not sure about GN pans. I use Anolon Novell Copper for my nonstick, All-Clad -Triply stainless most days for stockpots, saucepans, and skillets. I have a 10", 12" All Clad D7 Skillet  and a D7 Saute Pan for when heat distribution really matters. I also use a large Le-Creuset Dutch Oven on it no problem.

CanadianHomeChef

CanadianHomeChef

Thanks @CanadianHomeChef! So the rim (or is there not a rim at all, hard to see from any video/photo?) as pointed out in the below screenshot, shouldn't be an issue? I mean if a pan goes beyond the rim, it should still get contact and heat? 

Quickly checking Modernist Cuisine, I suppose GN pans aren't the greatest conductors with their relative thinness, when comparing to for example regular frying pans. Would be curious to hear still if anyone has used GN pans on their Control Freak. 

There's nothing to stop you from overhanging the black square on top. I'd avoid doing it at the front as the heat may transfer to the controls.... but on the other hand, I've had hot oil overflow on me and cover the entire control freak. Didn't damage anything. It's built well and you can see it getting abused in a commercial kitchen and coming out fine. Weight also shouldn't be an issue --- I frequently heat up a 12 qt pot of water to get a head start on sous vide. I think technically it's over the limit stated in the manual; however, there was a promo video PolyScience produced that advocated using the CF for this exact purpose. 

Not sure about GN pans. I use Anolon Novell Copper for my nonstick, All-Clad -Triply stainless most days for stockpots, saucepans, and skillets. I have a 10", 12" All Clad D7 Skillet  and a D7 Saute Pan for when heat distribution really matters. I also use a large Le-Creuset Dutch Oven on it no problem.

CanadianHomeChef

CanadianHomeChef

There's nothing to stop you from overhanging the black square on top. I'd avoid doing it at the front as the heat may transfer to the controls.... but on the other hand, I've had oil overflow on me and cover the entire control freak. Didn't damage anything. It's built well. Weight also shouldn't be an issue --- I frequently heat up a 12 qt pot of water to get a head start on sous vide. I think technically it's over the limit stated in the manual; however, there was a promo video PolyScience produced that advocated using the CF for this exact purpose.