• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

jaw

jaw

34 minutes ago, CanadianHomeChef said:

Thanks for the insights!

If the vollrath doesn't compensation, wouldn't it make sense to set it at a lower temperature, not a higher temperature? Like let's say you wanted to heat it to 300. If you set it to 300, it would wait until the sensor was 300? Surely the pan would be hotter than 300 at this point as it needs to travel through the glass? IF you set it at 290,  the pan should be closer to 300... no? 

yes, i think you're right. i quickly paraphrased what the guy told me without thinking, so i assume he just made a mistake and meant to say "set it to ~140°F if you want 150°F".

edit: to be clear, it's not just a time lag thing. of course there is one because heat takes time to transfer, but at steady state, there will always be a temperature difference. even if the pan temp is stable at 300°F or whatever for an hour, the temperature below the glass where the sensor is will always be lower than the pan temp. the temperature at the pan and below the glass will never be the same. that's why compensation is needed, either in your brain or via software.

jaw

jaw

31 minutes ago, CanadianHomeChef said:

Thanks for the insights!

If the vollrath doesn't compensation, wouldn't it make sense to set it at a lower temperature, not a higher temperature? Like let's say you wanted to heat it to 300. If you set it to 300, it would wait until the sensor was 300? Surely the pan would be hotter than 300 at this point as it needs to travel through the glass? IF you set it at 290,  the pan should be closer to 300... no? 

yes, i think you're right. i quickly paraphrased what the guy told me without thinking, so i assume he just made a mistake and meant to say "set it to ~140°F if you want 150°F".

jaw

jaw

31 minutes ago, CanadianHomeChef said:

Thanks for the insights!

yes, that's correct. i quickly paraphrased what the guy told me without thinking, so i assume he just made a mistake and meant to say "set it to ~140°F if you want 150°F".

jaw

jaw

27 minutes ago, CanadianHomeChef said:

Thanks for the insights!

yes, that's correct. i just quickly paraphrased what the guy told me without thinking, so i assume he just made a mistake and meant to say "set it to ~140°F if you want 150°F".