• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

blue_dolphin

blue_dolphin

27 minutes ago, CanadianHomeChef said:

I think there's some miscommunication as I used the word "probe" to describe the through the glass sensor on the Control Freak that measures the bottom surface temperature of the cooking vessel. That protrudes from the surface on the Control Freak. On the Paragon, the temperature mat is all flat and wouldn't cause tipping on lighter weight smaller pans. 

I put my Paragon by the window in hopes of illustrating this.   Without the mat, the surface is perfectly smooth:

IMG_1814.thumb.jpeg.064d684b7c9356126b04749160793cfb.jpeg

The mat is flexible and hopefully, you can see that the sensor in the middle does actually sit just slightly proud of the surface when there is no pan to press it down:

IMG_1816.thumb.jpeg.f5baabb16312c75ab806f79a6e00608a.jpeg

My 1 qt All Clad saucier, which has a fairly heavy handle can be a little tippy on this surface when empty. As I've used it more, this seems to be less of an issue.  Maybe the mat has gotten less stiff than when brand new? I dunno. 

Edited to add:  @CanadianHomeChef, thanks for all your contributions to this thread and the table of temps you linked to in the first post.  I can't afford a Control Freak but am just delving into this topic for tips I can use with my bargain Paragon and appreciate your input!

blue_dolphin

blue_dolphin

13 minutes ago, CanadianHomeChef said:

I think there's some miscommunication as I used the word "probe" to describe the through the glass sensor on the Control Freak that measures the bottom surface temperature of the cooking vessel. That protrudes from the surface on the Control Freak. On the Paragon, the temperature mat is all flat and wouldn't cause tipping on lighter weight smaller pans. 

I put my Paragon by the window in hopes of illustrating this.   Without the mat, the surface is perfectly smooth:

IMG_1814.thumb.jpeg.064d684b7c9356126b04749160793cfb.jpeg

The mat is flexible and hopefully, you can see that the sensor in the middle does actually sit just slightly proud of the surface when there is no pan to press it down:

IMG_1816.thumb.jpeg.f5baabb16312c75ab806f79a6e00608a.jpeg

My 1 qt All Clad saucier, which has a fairly heavy handle can be a little tippy on this surface when empty. As I've used it more, this seems to be less of an issue.  Maybe the mat has gotten less stiff than when brand new? I dunno.