• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

eugenep

eugenep

50 minutes ago, KennethT said:

I don't think meat would brown at 140F, no matter how long it sits there.  Plus, it would take a lot longer to cook through this way since you're only getting heat from 1 side, as opposed to SV where the contact is on all surfaces.  As the penetration time goes by the square of the thickness, heating from one side only would take 4 times as long to penetrate all the way to the top side - I think it would be really dried out by that point, as well as spend an inordinate amount of time in the danger zone, bacterially speaking.

I was thinking though - what if we just cut the chicken breast or fish thin so that the heat doesn't have to penetrate a thick cut - thereby reducing the pan frying time ? 

If we could saute the meat without creating a water bath (sous vide) every time we do delicate meats on the CF it would be a lot quicker. 

I use the precision saute pan heat for sauces - holandaise - and caramel (like 320 degrees?) and it's very precise, uniform heat that never ruins my sauce or burns my caramel and it's fast but I'm thinking the heat is always through a liquid medium (so heat transfer is fast) 

***Lastly, I think Americans are used to a long braise but not a long saute frying. If the temp is kept low at 140-150F the meat would not dry out owing to a long cooking time (just like how we sous vide meat at low temp without drying it out). It might be possible to do a lengthy pan-fry (saute) just like a long braise but I think Americans aren't used to the concept - like something so foreign or alien to how we cook (with saute being fast and braise being long) that it's just mere custom, habit that's preventing us from doing this method - of a braise style pan fry. 

eugenep

eugenep

36 minutes ago, KennethT said:

I don't think meat would brown at 140F, no matter how long it sits there.  Plus, it would take a lot longer to cook through this way since you're only getting heat from 1 side, as opposed to SV where the contact is on all surfaces.  As the penetration time goes by the square of the thickness, heating from one side only would take 4 times as long to penetrate all the way to the top side - I think it would be really dried out by that point, as well as spend an inordinate amount of time in the danger zone, bacterially speaking.

I was thinking though - what if we just cut the chicken breast or fish thin so that the heat doesn't have to penetrate a thick cut - thereby reducing the pan frying time ? 

If we could saute the meat without creating a water bath (sous vide) every time we do delicate meats on the CF a lot quicker. 

I use the precision saute pan heat for sauces - holandaise - and caramel (like 320 degrees?) and it's very precise, uniform heat that never ruins my sauce or burns my caramel and it's fast but I'm thinking the heat is always through a liquid medium (so heat transfer is fast)