• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

paulraphael

paulraphael

17 minutes ago, kayb said:

Pardon my ignorance, but if you don't ask, you don't know. What's the advantage of a magnetic stirring rod?

It would let you cook thicker fluids, or larger quantities of fluids while covered. Like for custards, or pasteurizing ice cream, or maybe even tempering chocolate. You need more precise temperature control (and for longer times) with these kinds of things than with most things that cook in a skillet. 

I've always wanted a lab hot plate with magnetic stirrer, but they're likewise overpriced, and usually are poorly designed for cooking.

paulraphael

paulraphael

4 minutes ago, kayb said:

Pardon my ignorance, but if you don't ask, you don't know. What's the advantage of a magnetic stirring rod?

It would let you cook thicker fluids, or larger quantities of fluids while covered. Like for custards, or pasteurizing ice cream, or maybe even tempering chocolate. You need more precise temperature control (and for longer times( with these kinds of things than with most things that cook in a skillet. 

I've always wanted a lab hot plate with magnetic stirrer, but they're likewise overpriced, and usually are poorly designed for cooking.