• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Green Tea Powder

Schielke

Leave out the tofu, white chocolate, and egg whites.

Make sweet green tea and set it with gelatin (follow instructions on the packet). Foam it using a foamer or whisk with a stick blender or electric whisk when half set. Fold in the whipped cream and allow to set fully.

I can't tell the difference between the two forms of gelatines, but sheet is easier to control and portion. Gelatine comes in different grades and strengths, so follow what is says on your packet.

• 4 weeks later...

OK, will share results so far, with mild embarassment, since i have not had an unqualified success yet hehe... :smile:

BATCH #1: was about a cup of really strong green tea, maybe 3 tblsp sugar dissolved in tea, gelatine/water mix, and about 1/2 cup 15% cream (the "a l'ancienne/champetre" kind that's really thick). chill, whisk, chill, whisk. as suggested by Jackal10 (thanks!), but no whipped cream.

PROBLEM WITH BATCH #1: it tasted fine, even close-to-great, but was like a semi-solid cup of creamy iced green tea. good, but wouldn't serve to guests. texture a bit "wrong" as i haven't had a lot of experience with gelatin. skipping 35% whipped cream folded in was my error.

BATCH #2: same as batch #1, but an extra envelope of gelatin, icing sugar instead of granulated, this time 35% cream whipped, folded, when mousse got to egg white stage.

PROBLEM WITH BATCH#2: nothing really *wrong* with it, per se, it just wasn't what i had imagined. looking for something both airy and unctuous at the same time.

am thinking i am going to have to haul out the white chocolate, for that velvetiness, and cut the sugar. getting closer...

Edited by gus_tatory (log)

"The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the ocean."

--Isak Dinesen

Gus

Thanks for posting back!

I just did a (very) quick search for matcha mousse (on Yahoo Japan) and most of them seem to use milk and about 90% of them did use cream as well. Always added before the egg whites if that would make a difference.

I also noticed the matcha tended to be dissolved in a very small amount of water (30- 50 ml) and the milk made up the rest of the liquid.

Maybe I will give it a try too! :biggrin:

here is the most stunning examples I came across:

http://www.mikashiho.ac.jp/kasirecipe15.htm

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

• 3 months later...
Kellog's (Japan) has just come out with a matcha flavored cereal:

http://www.kellogg.co.jp/whatsnew.html

Heh. I'd be willing to try that. With soy milk, perhaps.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

It actually sounds good to me too, I looked for it at the supermarket yesterday but they didn't have it, they did have the nwe Mickey Mouse cereal (pictured just below the matcha one) with marshmallows and despite my 2 year olds whines it didn't make it into the basket. :shock:

• 7 months later...

I just ran across this interesting web site (all in English) about green tea and it has quite a large section on recipes using green tea.

http://www.o-cha.net/english/kitchen/index.html

I have had many a dessert made with green tea and even things like matcha (green tea)-shio (salt) that is great for dipping tempura into, but I have never really thought about its uses in savory dishes.

Does anyone cook with gren tea?

I am an all-time green-tea lover, but somehow I am not thrilled by hardly any green-tea dishes. I remember I once made green tea tsukudani with used tea leaves (leaves left after the drawing of tea), but it tasted awful and I just had to throw it away.

The only dish I'd like to try if I can get fresh green tea leaves is green tea tempura.

incidentally, there is a new book on the same very subject just published by Kodansha: New Tastes in Green Tea: Novel Flavor For Familiar Drinks, Dishes, And Deserts.

I just looked at the link and that book was written by the same woman who did all the recipes at the link I gave! :biggrin:

I have had many a dessert made with green tea and even things like matcha (green tea)-shio (salt) that is great for dipping tempura into, but I have never really thought about its uses in savory dishes.

Speaking of matcha shio...I went to party for one of the sumo stables (in which my family is very involved) to celebrate the end of a pretty good grand summer tournement...what should appear at the party but ayu tempura with matcha shio?!

Bonus!!!...it's always nice when you go to a party not sure what to expect and encounter perfectly cooked ayu.

Jim

Jim Jones

London, England

Never teach a pig to sing. It only wastes your time and frustrates the pig.

Bonus!!!...it's always nice when you go to a party not sure what to expect and encounter perfectly cooked ayu.

I just got goosebumps....

is there anything better than perfectly cooked ayu??

• 2 weeks later...

I just got goosebumps....

is there anything better than perfectly cooked ayu??

Perfectly uncooked ayu?!?!

Jim

Jim Jones

London, England

Never teach a pig to sing. It only wastes your time and frustrates the pig.

interesting link torakris; thanks.

I haven't cooked much with green tea but do really like green tea desserts--like ice cream, etc.

On a side note: Peets Coffee out here in the Bay Area used to have a green tea smoothie drink I loved (discontinued b/c not enough sales). I think it was made from double or triple strength green tea, then blended with milk and ice. It was incredibly refreshing. This thread reminded me of it; I need to try it at home...

I've eaten an interesting savory dish though-- burmese salad made from fermented green tea leaves. It had a very interesting, slightly smokey flavor. Here is a bried description:

burmese green tea salad

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

• 4 months later...

I bought some high-quality macha in Osaka, after falling in love with it during my trip to Japan this summer. I tasted low and high quality and the former is very bitter while the latter is amazing: round texture and sweet, vegetal flavor.

gallery_7453_323_1099607667.jpg

Macha-making implements.

gallery_7453_323_1099607698.jpg

Made frothy by using that delicate bamboo brush.

JJ Goode

Co-author of Serious Barbecue, which is in stores now!

www.jjgoode.com

"For those of you following along, JJ is one of these hummingbird-metabolism types. He weighs something like eleven pounds but he can eat more than me and Jason put together..." -Fat Guy

I tasted low and high quality and the former is very bitter while the latter is amazing: round texture and sweet, vegetal flavor.

Great post and great photos, jogoode.

I couldn't agree with you more. This goes for sencha too. Sencha, especially gyokuro, can be astonishingly mild and sweet if properly made.

• 2 weeks later...

Does matcha have a season?

I have been noticing an abundance of matcha flavored items in the stores recently, I mean really an unusual number. So it got me thinking, does matcha have a shun (season)?

I also found this:

Matcha is grown primarily in the Uji area, southwest of Kyoto. The young tea leaves are picked in early May and lightly steamed to prevent any fermentation. This allows the tea to retain its beautiful green color. Then the tea leaves are dried. Traditionally, at this point, the leaves would be stored in chatsubo/tea jars and allowed to season until November, at which time they can be stone-ground as needed.

http://www.matchaandmore.com/whatismatcha.htm

So is it matcha season?

Traditionally, at this point, the leaves would be stored in chatsubo/tea jars and allowed to season until November, at which time they can be stone-ground as needed.

http://www.matchaandmore.com/whatismatcha.htm

So is it matcha season?

Good to know that. Thank you for the link. From another source, I have learned that tea leaves mature. I'm beginning to think that I have to give matcha a try.

As for the matcha season, I think it's only that we are in a matcha boom. Have you ever seen this product of Calpis, Matcha to (= and) Calpis ?

http://www.calpis.co.jp/kigyou/n/nr0407_48.html

While searching for a good source of matcha, I found this site:

http://www.maccha.co.jp/index2.html

English version:

http://www.maccha.co.jp/english/index2.html

Seems like a good source. Does anyone know of any other good source?

Edited by Hiroyuki (log)