• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Steam duration for holding meats?

FeChef

I am experimenting with adding steam to long holding times at low tempurature. I am using a small oven that can hold temps as low as 150F. I am curious as i do not have a steam oven, nor can i afford one at least for home use, what duration do these specialized ovens steam for? I assume they do not constantly apply steam. They must be set on a timer to steam for a duration of time?

I know there are a lot of professional cooks on Eg that use these ovens on a daily basis, so any info would be greatly appreciated. 

Some tests:

After the initial 15 minutes(room temp reservior) it takes the steam generator to start steaming, it takes 1 minute (after 5 min shutoff) to 4 minutes (30 minute shut off) to produce steam again. This is at an ambient room temp of 70F. The timer i am using is an infinite loop. It can go as low as 1 second on, 1 second off.

Reservoir only last 1 hour if ran constant. A secondary gravity feed reservoir would need to be added if needed. But is not an issue.

56 minutes ago, gfweb said:

What's the set-up you are using?

I really don't want to disclose all the parts i am using just yet. But i am using a cheap Stainless Steel electric smoker to hold temps in the 150F range. When i can get some info on how long these steam ovens produce steam for, i will adjust my setup and post more info. I have a feeling im not going to get much info. 

FYI, i am not using this smoker to produce smoke. Its strictly for controlled low heat.

Edited by FeChef (log)

So far from pre heated steam, 10 minutes off and 3 minutes on, gives about 2 minutes worth of steam every 11 minutes. With the tank i am using that is roughly 35 hours worth of steam before the tank runs dry. 

1 hour ago, FeChef said:

112 members viewed . None have any valuable info. I think i am done here. I have a lot of tests. Google is your friend.

Buy a CSO.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Just now, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Buy a CSO.

No need. It cost me peanuts to build one. I was just hoping members that used these steam ovens would chime in with how long the actually steam. Its all good. My unit performed beyond my expectations.

1 minute ago, FeChef said:

No need. It cost me peanuts to build one. I was just hoping members that used these steam ovens would chime in with how long the actually steam. Its all good. My unit performed beyond my expectations.

How long are you wanting to hold the meat?

1 hour ago, FeChef said:

12 hours unintended. But I can leave it go for upwards of 30 to 35 hours without checking the tank.

Then forget the CSO.  How about sous vide?