Jump to content
  • Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eG Cook-Off #79: Resurrecting and Rethinking Summer Salads, Summer Food’s Unpopular Kid


Recommended Posts

One of our favorites in the summer when I was a kid was to get a bucket of "broasted" chicken at a local chicken shack with all the fixings.  This was back in the 1960s when KFC was cropping up around the country and the local shop was just like KFC but better.  They served a coleslaw with a buttermilk dressing very similar to KFC, but they shredded the cabbage fine rather than chopping it.  I adapted this recipe from the KFC recipe you can find online and added some more vegetables. The cabbage should be shredded very thin.  It's another great summer salad and of course far better and less expensive than buying coleslaw from a fast food shop or the grocery store.  

Tangy Buttermilk Coleslaw.JPG

 

Ingredients

1/2 cup light mayonnaise

2 tbsp. sugar

1/4 cup whole milk

1/4 cup buttermilk

3 tbsp. fresh lemon juice

1 1/2 tbsp. apple cider vinegar

1/2 tsp. salt

1/2 tsp. black pepper

8 cups shredded cabbage

1 cup shredded carrots

3/4 cup chopped green onions

1 tbsp. chopped chives for garnish

 

In a bowl combine the mayonnaise, sugar, milk, buttermilk, lemon juice, vinegar, salt and pepper and whisk to combine.  Add the cabbage, carrots and green onions and toss to combine. 

Refrigerate the coleslaw at least 3 hours before serving. As the coleslaw chills, the lemon juice and vinegar blend with the buttermilk giving the coleslaw a tangy flavor.

Garnish the coleslaw with chopped chives before serving.

  • Like 6
Link to post
Share on other sites

Cole slaw looks really good, @David Ross. How did you "shred" your cabbage and carrots? Did you use a knife, a box grater, a mandoline or a food processor? That recipe would probably be good with raw broccoli and/or cauliflower as well.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, David Ross said:

One of our favorites in the summer when I was a kid was to get a bucket of "broasted" chicken at a local chicken shack with all the fixings.  This was back in the 1960s when KFC was cropping up around the country and the local shop was just like KFC but better.  They served a coleslaw with a buttermilk dressing very similar to KFC, but they shredded the cabbage fine rather than chopping it.  I adapted this recipe from the KFC recipe you can find online and added some more vegetables. The cabbage should be shredded very thin.  It's another great summer salad and of course far better and less expensive than buying coleslaw from a fast food shop or the grocery store.  

Tangy Buttermilk Coleslaw.JPG

 

Ingredients

1/2 cup light mayonnaise

2 tbsp. sugar

1/4 cup whole milk

1/4 cup buttermilk

3 tbsp. fresh lemon juice

1 1/2 tbsp. apple cider vinegar

1/2 tsp. salt

1/2 tsp. black pepper

8 cups shredded cabbage

1 cup shredded carrots

3/4 cup chopped green onions

1 tbsp. chopped chives for garnish

 

In a bowl combine the mayonnaise, sugar, milk, buttermilk, lemon juice, vinegar, salt and pepper and whisk to combine.  Add the cabbage, carrots and green onions and toss to combine. 

Refrigerate the coleslaw at least 3 hours before serving. As the coleslaw chills, the lemon juice and vinegar blend with the buttermilk giving the coleslaw a tangy flavor.

Garnish the coleslaw with chopped chives before serving.

Broasted chicken used the same basic cooking technique that Colonel Sanders used.   Deep-frying chicken in a pressure cooker.   Years ago I had a pressure cooker I bought from a company that sold them for deep-frying, but it was pretty crude.  An old fashioned pressure cooker with just a rubber ring around the lid and the steam release on top.  They discontinued making it for safety reasons, but it sure makes moist and juice chicken.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, MokaPot said:

Cole slaw looks really good, @David Ross. How did you "shred" your cabbage and carrots? Did you use a knife, a box grater, a mandoline or a food processor? That recipe would probably be good with raw broccoli and/or cauliflower as well.

I use a mandonline to get it really thin.  This morning I was searching on Amazon and came across this Polish cabbage shredder and slicer that looks like it would do the job.

Cabbage Shredder and Slicer from Poland.jpg

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

My old cabbage shredder got "miss-placed". Loved it! Curious why light mayo. I have not used a brand I like and since I don't use it often I just go "whole hog" I  also like add in other vegetables. I like it with cucumber, grapes, and apple - not all at once. And on occasion craisins. 

 

Oh and you reminded me of the cabbage salad the neighborhood boys adored. Basically Napa cabbage, thick Chinese egg noodles, grapes, touch of Dijon, green onion, and a "Chinese chicken salad dressing", splash of vinegar if needed. I could make my own but often used Girard's - don't think made anymore. Keeps well and super for buffet events. 

Edited by heidih (log)
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, heidih said:

My old cabbage shredder got "miss-placed". Loved it! Curious why light mayo. I have not used a brand I like and since I don't use it often I just go "whole hog" I  also like add in other vegetables. I like it with cucumber, grapes, and apple - not all at once. And on occasion craisins. 

 

Oh and you reminded me of the cabbage salad the neighborhood boys adored. Basically Napa cabbage, thick Chinese egg noodles, grapes, touch of Dijon, green onion, and a "Chinese chicken salad dressing", splash of vinegar if needed. I could make my own but often used Girard's - don't think made anymore. Keeps well and super for buffet events. 

 

Wow the Napa cabbage with egg noodles sounds good. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, David Ross said:

Wow the Napa cabbage with egg noodles sounds good. 

 

The chewy ones from the Chinese market so you get a nice texture contrast. Actually I think I thought  :egg"(cuz I usually type before I think properly) - they are yellow but that could be coloring. Anyway - a chewy noodle. I used to boil them in water using soy sauce as "the salt" - makes  difference.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, David Ross said:

I use a mandonline to get it really thin.  This morning I was searching on Amazon and came across this Polish cabbage shredder and slicer that looks like it would do the job.

Cabbage Shredder and Slicer from Poland.jpg

 

I have one similar to that, but I need to play with it a bit before I use it again because it tends to jam mid-stroke. Bought it after making the previous year's kraut, then didn't get to make any last autumn, so this year will be the first good test of it.

  • Like 1

“What is called sound economics is very often what mirrors the needs of the respectably affluent.” - John Kenneth Galbraith

 

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, chromedome said:

 

I have one similar to that, but I need to play with it a bit before I use it again because it tends to jam mid-stroke. Bought it after making the previous year's kraut, then didn't get to make any last autumn, so this year will be the first good test of it.

I'll be interested in how it goes.  The mandoline just has one blade so seeing the three blades in this one I'm wondering if that causes the cabbage to get jammed.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/10/2018 at 9:44 AM, David Ross said:

Well yesterday the plan was to make my summer version of a potato salad.  I've been making this potato salad for about 15 years.  I created it by accident really when some some friends were planning a big summer outdoor party.  I remember thinking potato salad but how could I do it different?  It's just small potatoes, red, fingerling or baby Yukon golds that I boil until tender and chill.  Then I make homemade mayonnaise using a Greek olive oil because it has a peppery flavor and is more fragrant than other olive oils and the mayonnaise has this vibrant yellow color.  Then in goes some diced red pepper, Kalamata or other good olive, (sometimes I use little French nicoise olives or dry-cured black olives), chives or green onions, capers and little haricot vert green beans.  We don't usually see fresh haricot vert in the markets so the frozen ones work pretty well. 

 

But then I started thinking, what about using those little baby Yukon Golds that I roasted under a chicken the night  before?  I know, it doesn't sound right to roast a chicken in the oven when it's 103 outside, but I was craving roast chicken and potatoes.  I had a lot of roasted potatoes left over and they had roasted in all those delicious chicken juices and fat.

And instead of making homemade mayonnaise, (or using bottled mayonnaise), I thought I might try the leftover Caesar Salad dressing from the Grilled Caesar I did a few days back.  Oh and some of the oregano I have growing out of control in a planter on the back porch.  So to be trendy I'll call it a Roast Potato Summer Salad.  Much different from the traditional potato salad but a delicious alternative.

Roasted Potato Caesar Salad.JPG

 

 

This is an updated photo of this salad that I posted when we launched the cook-off.  It's the same basic recipe using homemade mayonnaise and instead of leftover roast potatoes I used fresh potatoes.  I love the salty flavor of the olives and sometimes some mashed anchovies are blended into the mayonnaise. 

New Potato Salad.JPG

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, David Ross said:

This is an updated photo of this salad that I posted when we launched the cook-off.  It's the same basic recipe using homemade mayonnaise and instead of leftover roast potatoes I used fresh potatoes.  I love the salty flavor of the olives and sometimes some mashed anchovies are blended into the mayonnaise. 

 

 

As I have stated I don't believe in rules so I think that is great use of your potatoes. Those tubers are such an adaptable base for many strong flavors

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Regarding the Cole Slaw, our local grocery stores sell "Angel Hair"-sliced cabbage in their produce sections. Like the similarly named pasta, it's finely cut. I much prefer it over the regular slaw sliced cabbage they sell. Less chewy.

Sounds like it would be perfect for your slaw. Thanks, David!

  • Like 2

 

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

 

Tim Oliver

Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Toliver said:

Regarding the Cole Slaw, our local grocery stores sell "Angel Hair"-sliced cabbage in their produce sections. Like the similarly named pasta, it's finely cut. I much prefer it over the regular slaw sliced cabbage they sell. Less chewy.

Sounds like it would be perfect for your slaw. Thanks, David!

 

My problem with all the bagged types is that taste seems to be pretty dull. But I am picky. Good in a pinch

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, David Ross said:

I'll be interested in how it goes.  The mandoline just has one blade so seeing the three blades in this one I'm wondering if that causes the cabbage to get jammed.  

It's not the cabbage that gets jammed, it's the sliding hopper/hand protector thingie. The frame is bowed just slightly, so I need to sand it a bit.

  • Like 1

“What is called sound economics is very often what mirrors the needs of the respectably affluent.” - John Kenneth Galbraith

 

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Rather than a salad "bowl", we frequently have a salad "plate".     Including some items briefly cooked stovetop, like poached egg, sauted potato or portobello'.  A handful of examples:

Brandade

843966008_ScreenShot2020-08-13at9_03_37AM.thumb.png.b2e8d77d8cb33aa0f1a4db551af75089.png 

Fast seared Viet barbeque pork, noodles, nuoc cham

1964827193_ScreenShot2020-08-13at9_04_16AM.thumb.png.23b54d697d099540121e7b2d16c71cc4.png

 

Poached egg, cold steak, fried potato, balsamic dressing

205037426_ScreenShot2020-08-13at9_05_35AM.thumb.png.fff5d9747433b56b36ea644019954bc1.png

 

Poached egg and veg, tomato/basil dressing

 631521558_ScreenShot2020-08-13at9_02_19AM.thumb.png.1698d9cfcb692a1763434b12a05b8530.png

 

All the same, all different.    Great vehicle for leftovers.

 

Edited by Margaret Pilgrim (log)
  • Like 4
  • Delicious 1

eGullet member #80.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, heidih said:

This peach with anchovy dressing sparked my interest today. I can't get to farmers market and refuse to get stone fruit from Kroger by delivery but if anyone else is brave I'd love to know for future.  https://food52.com/recipes/83649-peach-salad-anchovy-vinaigrette-recipe

 

At your service....nothing like a little anchovy to wake up the tastebuds in the morning!

4BF5CDA1-3193-493A-A09E-0CCC3D517196_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.c40b92afa051c25c2d52f393b6f5b1d6.jpeg

 

Beautifully ripe Z Lady Peaches from Tenerelli Orchards at my local farmers market. If one wishes to pay the premium, Tenerelli is now shipping their peaches.   Seems pricey, but their peaches are stellar

 

  • Like 5
  • Delicious 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

 

At your service....nothing like a little anchovy to wake up the tastebuds in the morning!

Beautifully ripe Z Lady Peaches from Tenerelli Orchards at my local farmers market. If one wishes to pay the premium, Tenerelli is now shipping their peaches.   Seems pricey, but their peaches are stellar

 

 

Thank you! I take it you enjoyed the combo. I am good with anchovy in the morning :) 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, heidih said:

 

Thank you! I take it you enjoyed the combo. I am good with anchovy in the morning :) 

 

Yes, absolutely!  Thanks for sharing it.  It gave me a lot of ideas for other things to try but was also an excellent reminder that perfect summer fruit doesn't need to be gussied up. 

I used a late harvest Sauvignon blanc vinegar from Katz that's delicious, so that helped, too.

I spooned it over greens (baby kale, chard & spinach) in part because I figured it would look pretty but I very much enjoyed the slight bitterness they added. 

Very enjoyable.  I'll make it or some variation again and wouldn't hesitate to serve it to guests. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Similar Content

    • By Chris Amirault
      Every now and then since December 2004, a good number of us have been getting together at the eGullet Recipe Cook-Off. Click here for the Cook-Off index.
      For our sixth Cook-Off, we're going to be making pad thai. You've surely eaten this Thai restaurant staple dozens of times, marvelling at the sweet, sour, hot, and salty marriage on your plate. There are lots of variations of pad thai floating around the internet, including one by mamster at the eGCI Thai Cooking course. While there is one ingredient -- rice noodles -- that may be hard for some to find, most ingredients or substitutes are available at your local grocer. And, if you're new to Thai cooking, isn't now a good time to get your first bottle of fish sauce or block of tamarind?
      In addition to the course, here are a few threads to get us started:
      The excellent Thai cooking at home thread discusses pad thai in several spots.
      A brief thread on making pad thai, and one on vegetarian pad thai.
      For the adventurous, here is a thread on making fresh rice noodles.
      Finally, a few folks mention pad thai in the "Culinary Nemesis" thread. Fifi, snowangel, and Susan in FL all mention in the fried chicken thread that pad thai is also a culinary nemesis of theirs. So, in true cook-off style, hopefully we can all share some tips, insights, recipes, and photos of the results!
      I'll start by asking: does anyone know any good mail-order purveyors for folks who can't purchase rice noodles at their local Asian food store?
    • By Chris Amirault
      Every now and then since December 2004, a good number of us have been getting together at the eGullet Recipe Cook-Off. Click here for the Cook-Off index.
      For our thirteenth Cook-Off, we're making fresh and stuffed Italian pastas, including gnocchi. I would take a bit here and try to say some intelligent things about pasta in general, but I'm very happy to defer to my betters in the eGullet Society's Culinary Institute! Check out Adam Balic's Pasta around the Mediterranean course here, and click here for and the associated Q&A thread. In addition, Moby Pomerance has three eGCI courses: the first on stuffed pastas in general (Q&A here), and the other two on Tortelli, Ravioli & Cappelletti and Pansotti, Tortelloni and Raviolo.
      Of course, there are also lots of other related threads, including several on gnocchi like this one, this one, and this one; a few fresh pasta threads here, here and here; and a thread on pasta machines.
      So break out your Atlas hand-cranked machine (or, if you're like me, start to justify buying that KitchenAid mixer pasta attachment!), dice up a few heirloom tomatoes, and start cooking! No machine? Then you're on tap for gnocchi, my friend!
    • By Chris Amirault
      Welcome to eGullet Cook-Off XLIV! Click here for the Cook-Off index.
      We've just devoted a Cook-Off to braised brisket, and we're turning again to moist, well-cooked proteins for our next adventure: ossobuco. You will see it spelled a number of different ways out there, but Marcella Hazan refers to it as one word in her definitive Essentials of Classic Italian Cooking, so I'm going with that spelling. No reason to argue with Marcella, after all.
      Ossobuco is braised veal shank, named after the "bone with a hole" that used to be attached to the hind shank of a calf. (Let's all agree to stick to veal, and not have, say, halibut ossobuco. ) The classic Milanese version includes vegetables, tomatoes, wine, and broth, and is served with risotto alla milanese, perfumed with saffron, and with gremolada.
      Some of the versions out there are a bit wacky. In particular, The Silver Spoon Cookbook simmers the 2" thick shanks for 30 minutes atop the stove. Given that Hazan has 1 1/2" shanks in a 350F oven for two hours, I'm pretty sure the SSC is a waste of good veal. Indeed, I'd think that a much lower oven for longer would work wonders.
      There are more things to talk about here than just braising temps and times! For example, many other versions of ossobuco depart from the Milanese approach. In her out-of-print More Classic Italian Cooking, Hazan provides the recipe for Ossobuchi in Bianco, the white referring to a sauce lacking tomato. In The Fine Art of Italian Cooking, Giuliano Bugialli offers ossobuco Florentine style, with peas and pancetta, and Lynne Rossetto Kasper's Italian Country Table offers a home-style version with mushrooms, favas or snap peas, and more intense flavors such as anchovy, sage, and rosemary.
      We have one short discussion of ossobuco here, and an even shorter one on wine pairings here. Indeed, as is often the case with Italian food, the best discussion is the one shepherded by Kevin72, the Cooking and Cuisine of Lombardia, which muses on on the dish's origins and execution throughout.
      I'm wondering a few things myself. Some folks say that braised veal cannot be reheated, unlike other dishes that benefit from a night in the fridge. I'm also wondering what other sorts of sides -- polenta, say, or the Italian mashed potatoes that Hazan suggests for the ossobuchi in bianco -- would work and/or are traditional.
      So who wants to welcome the new year with some bones with holes?
    • By Chris Amirault
      Every now and then since December 2004, a good number of us have been getting together at the eGullet Recipe Cook-Off. Click here for the Cook-Off index.
      For our third Cook-Off, we've chosen Indian lamb curry. Yes, it's true: that's a huge category for a cook-off, and saying "Indian" is about as stupidly broad as saying "American." However, like gumbo, there are some basic elements to most of the many, many permutations of this dish, and several cook-off participants wanted to start cooking Indian at home with several options.
      So, instead of choosing a specific lamb curry, I thought that having a conversation about those different permutations (like the gumbo okra/roux discussion, say) would be interesting and fun. I also wanted to avoid too particular ingredients that some of our cook-off pals can't get in certain places.
      A few things that we can discuss, photograph, and share include:
      -- the spice mixture: If you've never toasted your own spices, then you have a world of aromatic wonder ahead. I'm sure many people can share their ingredients, ratios, and toasting tips for curry powders that will blow away the garbage in your grocery's "spice" aisle. We can also have the ground vs. whole debate, if there are takers!
      -- the paste: many curry dishes involve frying a blended paste of onion, garlic, and/or ginger, along with the spices, in oil or ghee (clarified butter). I found that learning how to cook that paste -- which requires the same sort of patience demanded by roux -- was the key to making a deep, rich curry.
      -- accompaniments: rice dishes or bread (I have a pretty good naan recipe that I'd be glad to try out again).
      Here are a couple of related eGullet threads:
      lamb kangari
      a lamb and goat thread
      If anyone finds more, post 'em!
      So: find yourself a leg of lamb to bone, sharpen your knives, and get ready to update your spice drawer!
    • By Chris Amirault
      Welcome to this second anniversary eGullet Recipe Cook-Off! Click here for the Cook-Off index.
      A click on that index shows that, while the Cook-Offs have ventured throughout the globe, but they've never stopped in Africa. One could say we've passed through -- gumbo, for example, is widely acknowledged to have roots in Africa, among other places. So, for the first Cook-Off rooted in African cuisine, we'll be cooking up mafé, otherwise known as peanut or groundnut stew.
      Mafé is a traditional west African dish that can be found in the kitchens of Senegal and Mali. It's often served with a starch of some sort (rice, most often) to soak up the nutty stew juices, or, alternately, the starch is part of the stew itself, resulting in a drier braise. While there are a few mentions of mafé in eG Forums, there are no discussions of actually preparing it that I can find except this brief post by yours truly. There are a few recipes elsewhere, including this stew-like one and this more braise-y one, both of which are from the Food Network.
      Mafé is a forgiving cold-weather dish, and one that, like most stews, benefits from reheating (read: swell as leftovers). I'm convinced that mafé is one of the great one-pot dishes in global cuisine, built on a solid base of sautéed onions, peanut-thickened stock, and hearty meat. Like other classics such as gumbo, cassoulet, and bibimbap, it affords tremendous variation within those guides; it would be hard to find very many vegetables that haven't made an appearance in a mafé pot somewhere, and there are lots of possibilities concerning herbs and spices. (I like to increase the heat quite a bit with cayenne, which I think plays off the silk of the nut oil just perfectly, for example.)
      Finally, it's a pleasant surprise if you've never had a savory peanut dish before, and kids in particular tend to think it is the bee's knees. The kitchen fills with a heady aroma -- browned onion, ground peanuts -- that's hard to describe and resist.
      So: who's up for mafé?
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...