• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

New from Washington DC

Hi all! I am happy to have found eG, and I am excited to engage my curiosity and discuss all things food. I'm new in the pro kitchen, but my explorations are proceeded by a lifetime of cooking adventures dishes or family and friends...I simply outgrew what I could do at home and took the next step, an apprenticeship on Capitol Hill in DC. my skills burst forward, from there and my curiosity continues to grow. Friends advised me that eG is another opportunity for exposure to the I-mind of interested, engaged, and intellectual thought stream of kitchen professionals and enthusiasts, so I had to jump in. I am glad to have found this source and will do my best to keep up with the group.

My influences are J.Kenji Lopez-Alt, David Chang, Gabrielle Hamilton, Grant Achatz, Deborah Madison, Marcella Hazan, Douglas Alexander, Michael Ruhlman, Samin Nosrat, Stella Parks, and Julia Child. 

Have a fantastic day in the kitchen,

Kate "KJ" Phillips

Kate "KJ" Phillips

"Your body is not a temple, it's an amusement park. Enjoy the ride." - Anthony Bourdain

Hard working Apprentice, always ready to cook, taste, eat, or avoid sleeping to have fun with family or friends.

On 7/26/2018 at 7:01 AM, catdaddy said:

Welcome! Love the list of influences. I would also suggest Wolfgang Puck. He fits nicely in that list.

I would bet that Chef Puck and Chef Keller have had their influences in my cooking, but to date, I have not actually prepared any of their recipes first hand.

The French Laundry Cookbook arrived at the house on Friday, and finally had the opportunity to crack it open yesterday...it's so damn gorgeous. So, the menu planning for a Keller immersion (sous vide pun intended) in the coming weeks is underway! 

What would you recommend as the 1st step into Chef Puck's work?

Cheers,

KJ

Kate "KJ" Phillips

"Your body is not a temple, it's an amusement park. Enjoy the ride." - Anthony Bourdain

Hard working Apprentice, always ready to cook, taste, eat, or avoid sleeping to have fun with family or friends.