• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Green Zone

weinoo

Officially opening this week. Congrats, Chris, aka @Hassouni!

City Paper has a nice story about it...

The former World Bank contractor, who is half Iraqi and well traveled in the region, assembled a menu of classic and original libations and bar snacks like falafel; mana'ish (flatbread) with a variety of toppings; chicken wings brightened by lemon and za'tar seasoning; and fries dusted in hot pepper, coriander, and garlic. Chef Gustavo Fuentes, who has a background in cooking Lebanese food, is leading the kitchen.

Watch out, Amsterdam Falafel!

• Like 17

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Chris- My nephew and his wife (my niece) just moved to D.C. I plan to tell them to visit your place!

Edited by Naftal (log)
  • Like 2

"As life's pleasures go, food is second only to sex.Except for salami and eggs...Now that's better than sex, but only if the salami is thickly sliced"--Alan King (1927-2004)

@chefmd and I met up at @Hassouni place today and enjoyed some wonderful cocktails and snacks! If you are in the area and like good cocktails, go visit. The bar snacks are also very tasty. @chefmd took a few more pictures so hopefully she will add them later. I had a picture of the menu that included our cocktails but it is too blurry to read!

most of the menu

IMG_35190-menu.jpg.0ff1e68b554818397d619792616e1f29.jpgIMG_3520-menu.jpg.823d4230f7cb3e9028f374eb2df3b859.jpgIMG_3521-menu.jpg.2fe57136584d075aea6a565c6677937f.jpgIMG_3522-menu.jpg.538838e15b644c599e2e32bd2c23a616.jpgIMG_3524-menu.jpg.179a5c5c98dfe47c2bcfe9e3cc056e15.jpg

the main bar

872890104_IMG_3525-mainbar.jpg.92ff677498de21c9a77c3a72f53966b9.jpg

our drinks

image.png.88dc9e5971f2d74720f85a4ff4709690.png image.png.df34f0e28911267a6ecbf7561a4d4210.png

IMG_3526-drinks.jpg.222d0b502b6819a6fab7ccc8e5465190.jpg

bar snacks: Hummus bi Tahina and Levantine Flatbread with Labneh

IMG_3528-hummus.jpg.8daaa9fd2357efdece7bb2d0a4f73993.jpgIMG_3529-labneh.jpg.2071d264182e0b684b1444e126372dd0.jpg

curls, chefmd, and Hassouni

1418346315_IMG_3527-curlsandchefmd.jpg.2c516a27bd32bb7a8e52430762f3aa15.jpgIMG_3531-hassouni.jpg.10ab2948d6aaba724ea320c60e7c1884.jpg

Edited by curls (log)
  • Like 15
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1

1 hour ago, curls said:

@weinoo you should swing by DC and try it out! Let me know if you do & we can get together for cocktails.

The "swing by" thing isn't exactly easy, since we live in NYC.  But if there's a conference coming up in DC, one at which my wife's attendance is required, it will undoubtedly be a stop.

As I mentioned, if we still had our apartment on Kalorama Road, this would be dangerous!

• Like 1

Tasty Travails - My Blog

16 hours ago, weinoo said:

The "swing by" thing isn't exactly easy, since we live in NYC.  But if there's a conference coming up in DC, one at which my wife's attendance is required, it will undoubtedly be a stop.

As I mentioned, if we still had our apartment on Kalorama Road, this would be dangerous!

Yes, located as we are at 18th & Kalorama!

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

As I told Mitch,  we will represent in his absence.  Ginny & I will be in D.C. next Friday (10/5) and intend to show up for drinks and food after we take advantage of the "1st Friday Dupont" event at various Dupont Circle area galleries from 6-8pm.  Although we are generally wine people and not expert cocktailians, we'll try our best to not embarrass NYC in general and the "weinoos" specifically.  Looking forward to it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Steve R. said:

As I told Mitch,  we will represent in his absence.  Ginny & I will be in D.C. next Friday (10/5) and intend to show up for drinks and food after we take advantage of the "1st Friday Dupont" event at various Dupont Circle area galleries from 6-8pm.  Although we are generally wine people and not expert cocktailians, we'll try our best to not embarrass NYC in general and the "weinoos" specifically.  Looking forward to it.

Thank you for posting.  1st Friday Dupont looks very interesting.  I see 9/7 schedule but not 10/5.  Do you have a link?

Glad we did.  It’s a great place & obviously well liked.  The hummus was very good, but I have to say that you’re putting out one of the best falafel sandwiches out there.  I’ve been eating them for over 50 years - Israeli, Syrian, Lebanese, Palestinian, Greek - none better than last night’s.  And that’s not just the one “F—k Trump Punch” talking.

Edited by Steve R. (log)
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, weinoo said:

If it's better than Amsterdam Falafel's, that's saying something!

Let me be diplomatic and say that A'dam's has changed from when you were regularly in DC, Mitch

Edited by Hassouni (log)
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, Hassouni said:

Let me be diplomatic and say that A'dam's has changed from when you were regularly in DC, Mitch

Yeah, it may have even been going downhill when we were still there!

I have a funny story about AF; I'll tell you sometime.  Suffice to say, major drunkenness may have played a part.  Remember when Bourbon first opened...it was good, and there was even a good bartender or two back then.  (and now I see that it's closing or closed?!)

Tasty Travails - My Blog

8 hours ago, weinoo said:

Remember when Bourbon first opened...it was good, and there was even a good bartender or two back then.  (and now I see that it's closing or closed?!)

Wow, didn’t know that Bourbon was closing! It has been a while since I went there but I really liked them the last few times I visited. Thanks for the information.

16 hours ago, Hassouni said:

Bourbon closing is actual fake news, according to most of my industry connections

Thanks for checking! I’m glad to hear they are still open. Great place for brunch & drinks in Adams Morgan if you want to sample a variety of bourbons.

• 3 years later...

Had a rare kid’s activity free Sunday and got very much overdue chance to try the Green Zone for brunch.   It was as good as reported.   Wife and the three little teeth had a super time (yes, we took the kids to a bar)

Now that the world is starting to open again, if egulleteers ever wanted to have a DC meet up, this would be a fantastic place.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Dr. Teeth said:

Had a rare kid’s activity free Sunday and got very much overdue chance to try the Green Zone for brunch.   It was as good as reported.   Wife and the three little teeth had a super time (yes, we took the kids to a bar)

Now that the world is starting to open again, if egulleteers ever wanted to have a DC meet up, this would be a fantastic place.

Do tell us what you had!