• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Guanciale--what would you do with it?

Joy

At Babbo in NYC it is served chopped up, sauteed with mushrooms and peas and served over fresh pasta.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

I think the best way to highlight it would be carbonara.

A carbonara in the traditional fashion, you mean, not the cream-laced one. A raw egg/romano based sauce with parsley, lots of pepper and the crispy sauteed guanciale. Spaghetti or fettucine.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Strangely enough I have found guanciale to be exceptional in Chinese dishes. Also, if you are able to slice it very thin, then it is good served simply on quality bread. And I would consider using it where you would normally use salt pork in American recipes.

v

I think it's essential to the classic pasta all' amatriciana (Amatrice style)- a sauce made of olive oil, onions, guanciale, tomatoes, peperoncino and generally tossed with bucatini or spaghetti.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Biba Caggiano's "Trattoria Cooking" has a recipe for "Amatriciana Bianco" - basically a standard Amatriciana without the tomatoes. This might be a great way to showcase the guanciale without burying it under too many other flavors (it's conceptually similar to the bucatini with guanciale dish currently on the menu at Lupa).

Where did you find guanciale?

Biba Caggiano's "Trattoria Cooking" has a recipe for "Amatriciana Bianco"

I think this is often called Pasta alla Gricia.

There's a recipe in the Babbo Cookbook for pasta with sauteed parsnips and pancetta. It would be awesome with some good guanciale.

Sigh, Ninth Avenue is what I miss more about New York than anything else.

Matthew Amster-Burton, aka "mamster"

Author, Hungry Monkey, coming in May

Sara, welcome to eGullet.

I'd say a traditional carbonara.

But a half pound isn't very much. So I'd make bacon and crostini and a chunky rustic tomato sauce. Put a bit of guanciale on the crostini. Dip in the sauce. Eat. Repeat.

Buy some more, then do carbonara.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM