• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

PLANNING: eGullet Chocolate and Confectionery Workshop 2019

gfron1

1 hour ago, Haley said:

This will be my first workshop and I'm wondering a few things.  How will the workshop days go and what do I need to bring/be prepared for?  Since I'm flying in and space is limited, I wanted to be sure I am clear about what to expect.  I know to bring chocolates for the social, but I'm confused about the self-directed portions. 

The only other thing I'd add is apron, comfortable shoes. If there is anything you've been really wanting to learn that you haven't already stated share it here. Many of us do workshops throughout the year and look forward to sharing what we've learned amongst our eG friends. I don't know how much time I"ll actually be able to be on site but I really hope to share ganache balancing and that damn eye technique.

• Like 2

As well as the ControlFreak, I’ll have enough spare room to bring my small MiniChoc melter and some spare molds.

Haley, if your space is limited let me know and we can work out something.

Thanks for the input!  It is all very helpful.  I’m a big planner so when I saw the words “self directed” on the outline I had a little moment of anxiety.  I feel better now 😅.

• Like 1

Yinz are making me really jealous that I'll be getting ready to take a group of students to Scotland over the weekend, instead of hanging out with you and the chocolate.

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

@gfron1 is breakfast and/or lunch included for Saturday and Sunday? Otherwise, can you recommend somewhere near the Courtyard by Mariott to purchase breakfast sandwiches/burritos and simple lunch items. I'm ok with picking up provisions at a grocery store if that is easier than a cafe/deli/restaurant. Thank you!

11 hours ago, Haley said:

This will be my first workshop and I'm wondering a few things.  How will the workshop days go and what do I need to bring/be prepared for?  Since I'm flying in and space is limited, I wanted to be sure I am clear about what to expect.  I know to bring chocolates for the social, but I'm confused about the self-directed portions. 

From the pictures Rob posted towards the beginning of this topic, it looks like there is a lot of equipement that we can use at the culinary school. But like someone else mentioned, if you have room, bring the items that you like to work with:  recipes, thermometer, scrapers, moulds. If you don't want to bring anything with you, there should be plenty there and this group will figure out a way to make it all work out.

Things that have been at past workshops for everyone to use:

dark, milk, and white chocolate

cream

glucose syrup

sugar

cocoa butter

colored cocoa butters

transfer sheets

herbs

spices

salt

nuts

fruit purees

gelatin

ingredients for making pate de fruit

and usually much, much, more than I mentioned

If you look at some of the past workshop reports, you might get a better feel for it. Here are some links (we took a lot more photos at the earlier workshops):

https://forums.egullet.org/topic/156688-report-egullet-chocolate-and-confectionery-workshop-2018/ (Niagara on the Lake, ON)

https://forums.egullet.org/topic/154960-report-egullet-chocolate-and-confectionary-workshop-2017/ (Las Vegas, NV)

https://forums.egullet.org/topic/153231-report-eg-chocolate-and-confectionery-workshop-2016/ (Toronto)

https://forums.egullet.org/topic/151277-report-eg-chocolate-and-confectionery-workshop-2015/  (Fairfax/Merrifield, VA)

https://forums.egullet.org/topic/148418-report-eg-chocolate-and-confectionery-workshop-2014/ (Las Vegas, NV)

https://forums.egullet.org/topic/144916-report-eg-chocolate-and-confectionery-workshop-2013/ (Niagara on the Lake, ON)

REPORT: 2012 Candy and Confection Conference (Woodbridge, VA)
2011 conference (Niagara on the Lake, ON)
2010 conference (Gaithersburg, MD)
2009 conference (Niagara on the Lake, ON)

Edited by curls (log)
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, Jim D. said:

Does this mean you have mastered the eye technique?  I suppose next you'll be charging us $700 to teach us how to do it!  🤩

Hardly on either account. And besides, that technique is so 2018.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

16 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

Is anyone bringing a small compressor to which I could attach my little paasche?

I never use mine and I think I have all the various connectors. We should fit your gun on Thursday night.

11 hours ago, curls said:

@gfron1 is breakfast and/or lunch included for Saturday and Sunday? Otherwise, can you recommend somewhere near the Courtyard by Mariott to purchase breakfast sandwiches/burritos and simple lunch items. I'm ok with picking up provisions at a grocery store if that is easier than a cafe/deli/restaurant. Thank you!

Lunch is, breakfast is not. I can provide options next week but there's ample options en route.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, gfron1 said:

Hardly on either account. And besides, that technique is so 2018.

We need to show them the fractiles. Adding golf tees to my list to bring 

• Like 2

Here are the answers to our equipment questions from the Casey the chef/host:

Selmi - is that something we'll be able to use? Absolutely. It has milk chocolate in it.

Guitar cutter Have it.

Melters  I have two.

Enrobing line  You may use – hooks to Selmi.

Cooling table – I have three marble tables in the room – no water-cooled tables

versus

Marbles large enough for tempering

Thermomix - no

What else might they want to know you have so they don't bring?

I have many polycarbonate molds

I have induction burners, 12 qt mixer, and 6 qt kitchenaid mixer on every station

I have hardening cabinets that hold frozen at -27ºF

Unfortunately, I don’t have many simple hand tools like rubber spatulas, hand whisks, etc – they tend to “walk off” with students, so we make our students bring them in their knife kits.

I have 12 gas burners at the front of the classroom, and induction on every station.

I don’t have kettles.

I have marble tables, not water-cooled

• Like 3

There is a HIGH likelihood of mistakes on the spreadsheet, so please gently let me know so I can fix them. These are the folks that show paid for each of the paid activities (The Thursday dinner is ala carte and not paid in advance. We're in the midst of a madhouse here at Bulrush so tomorrow on my day off I'll be going through emails and messages and such to find anything that I might have overlooked. For example, I know David posted a comment that makes me think he's in the Masters Class which we certainly can accommodate. Thanks and I'm looking forward to seeing everyone next week for at least a bit of time before my prep days get racing.

image.png.54374cc952c06c75b5ac75c9756bd4af.png

• Like 3

Thanks for the quick responses everyone. The issue was translating screen names to business names to real names to emails, but I think I have that all sorted out now. Please lay eyes one more time. Also, there are a few people who have not paid for the Saturday dinner and I don't want to assume that you aren't interested...so speak now or forever...

1502181246_ScreenShot2019-05-13at7_25_50PM.png.ce6539d8eea6d6ba072723a95e20e7b6.png

• Like 2

.....And then there were 17......

or, how I lost them while foraging....

the new Whodoneit by amazing James Beard Chef, Author and the creative genius behind Bullrish STL and now mystery writer:  Rob “Gfron” Connoley 

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, RobertM said:

.....And then there were 17......

or, how I lost them while foraging....

the new Whodoneit by amazing James Beard Chef, Author and the creative genius behind Bullrish STL and now mystery writer:  Rob “Gfron” Connoley 

we'll see how many make it back from StL

• Haha 2

NOOOO! Was so looking forward to chatting with both Robyn and Phylis!

Rob, please change the Lulubee Artisanal Chocolate to read: 0 for Thursday dinner. 1na Saturday night. Thanks!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Gwbyls said:

Rob, please change the Lulubee Artisanal Chocolate to read: 0 for Thursday dinner. 1na Saturday night. Thanks!

I've taken you off Thursday and will offer that to Annie. Saturday is pre-pay at $75 for na. Thanks.

• Like 1