• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

PLANNING: eGullet Chocolate and Confectionery Workshop 2019

gfron1

I have nothing to do with this topic at all -- but vicariously speaking, if I were attending my choice would be Bulrush.

• Like 2

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

13 hours ago, Pastrypastmidnight said:

I’m just along for the ride—I’m happy with whatever. 

Also, I’d love some direction on the chocolate trade as well. Do I bring enough of one or two things for everyone? Or just an assortment of stuff?

We typically bring plenty for the group.  It’s an opportunity to try new things people have been working on, share ideas, and to meet and mingle, meeting new friends and spending time with others.  Try and bring enough for everyone to try.  It’s purely social and a wonderful evening.  Take a look at the previous years “reports” for a good idea of the kinds of things that have happened....

I recall Tikidoc stole  the evening a few times but, one of the most memorable was that awesome dragon chocolate.....

• Like 2

So how much room will Bulrush have for a chocolate exchange/display area? The last couple of pre-workshop show & tells have filled up a ton of space. May want to trim down the amounts or number of offerings to fit the available space.

28 minutes ago, YetiChocolates said:

I say bring what you want. We’ll figure out a way to make it work 

We will borrow a couple of the golf tee tables so we can multi-level!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Don't stress out about what to bring. In the past, there has been plenty. Also, it is a time to experiment. I know I have brought less than beautiful because what I tried didn't work. I think we stress because you think everyone is judging you:). Just bring what you want and don't worry.

• Like 3

Ruth Kendrick

Chocolot
Artisan Chocolates and Toffees
www.chocolot.com

1 minute ago, Chocolot said:

Don't stress out about what to bring. In the past, there has been plenty. Also, it is a time to experiment. I know I have brought less than beautiful because what I tried didn't work. I think we stress because you think everyone is judging you:). Just bring what you want and don't worry.

Indeed - I usually like to try something new each time - sometimes I succeed - sometimes I don't!  

Maybe I should do something with the Ruby this year.

Starting to think about what I'm going to need to pack for this trip. I'll bring an EZtemper for the group to use, but wonder if there is anyone coming who is planning to take an EZtemper home so I can determine how big a suitcase I'm going to need.

I'll bring some dipping forks. 

58 minutes ago, jbates said:

I recently purchased a ControlFreak, which I can bring if anyone wants to play with it?

Good idea. Lots of things we could use it for. 

I remember from a few posts back that Forest Park Community College Hospitality Building has a Selmi and enrobing line. @gfron1 does the college also have a confectionary guitar that we may use?

Will there be polycarbonate chocolate moulds that we can use or should be bring our own?

Edited by curls (log)

40 minutes ago, YetiChocolates said:

What is a ControlFreak?

It’s a professional precision induction cooker that’s accurate to 1°F over its entire temperature range. Everything from tempering chocolate to oil frying.

Edited by jbates (log)

On my end:

EZ Temper

GastroVac

Spinzall

Small melter

Tilting melanger

California Air compressor

Tabletop compressor

*I won't bring anything unless someone wants it. I'm happy to deliver, but don't want to bring things that will just sit unused.

Shipped to me from others, to bring:

Fuji

Vacuform

(I know I have more boxes than that but can't remember what they are)

On 5/7/2019 at 10:38 AM, curls said:

So how much room will Bulrush have for a chocolate exchange/display area? The last couple of pre-workshop show & tells have filled up a ton of space. May want to trim down the amounts or number of offerings to fit the available space.

We'll make it work. I have lots of room to spill out, and as long as the group is welcoming to curious customers we can take as much space as needed, but certainly our 3 two top tables and half the bar. 

4 hours ago, gfron1 said:

On my end:

EZ Temper

GastroVac

Spinzall

Small melter

Tilting melanger

California Air compressor

Tabletop compressor

*I won't bring anything unless someone wants it. I'm happy to deliver, but don't want to bring things that will just sit unused.

Shipped to me from others, to bring:

Fuji

Vacuform

(I know I have more boxes than that but can't remember what they are)

We'll make it work. I have lots of room to spill out, and as long as the group is welcoming to curious customers we can take as much space as needed, but certainly our 3 two top tables and half the bar. 

You also have door prizes from Chocolat-Choclat. I am awaiting things from Design and Realization that are being sent to me to bring.

2 hours ago, gfron1 said:

Here we go - final details:

eGullet Chocolate Itinerary.docx

The most pressing thing is dinner confirmations/payment for Saturday night at the Chocolate Pig. 

Pyament Links: Paypal.me link or Venmo link

I'm in - money on it's way.

On 3/15/2019 at 12:30 PM, gfron1 said:

Very excited to announce that Jon Schmuke has agreed to offer a hard candy demo and workshop on Saturday morning. Jon will do ribbon candies, drop candies and filled. He'll be a great fit for this group because he's also a confectionary history geek who had refurbished a number of antique candy dyes (dies?). As he and I were scheduling we also learned that Saturday, May 18th is National Hard Candy Day (who knew?!), and that Vincent Price's family were candy monarchy here in St. Louis - read short story HERE. Jon and I are going to work on locally sourced flavors using traditional methods prior to the weekend in hopes of being able to share that information as well.

This is included in the price of registration!

Just checking since you did not mention this in the word doc of conference notes... will Jon Schmuke be coming Saturday to do the hard candy demo? I hope he is still part of the agenda.

1 hour ago, curls said:

Just checking since you did not mention this in the word doc of conference notes... will Jon Schmuke be coming Saturday to do the hard candy demo? I hope he is still part of the agenda.

What's internet for "Well for f&*(ks sake!" I did have it in there, and sure enough when I went to save the document the program crashed. Yes, Jon is all set and looking forward to hanging out all weekend after his workshop.

• Like 1

This will be my first workshop and I'm wondering a few things.  How will the workshop days go and what do I need to bring/be prepared for?  Since I'm flying in and space is limited, I wanted to be sure I am clear about what to expect.  I know to bring chocolates for the social, but I'm confused about the self-directed portions. 

1 hour ago, Haley said:

This will be my first workshop and I'm wondering a few things.  How will the workshop days go and what do I need to bring/be prepared for?  Since I'm flying in and space is limited, I wanted to be sure I am clear about what to expect.  I know to bring chocolates for the social, but I'm confused about the self-directed portions. 

Hello Haley! For the workshop there will be a demo in the morning on Saturday and then after it’s over people generally start working on things, either individually or in groups. Others will do some basic instructing for new comers or those who are looking for some basic chocolate skills. Then on Sunday we generally finish up things we worked on the day before and do a show and share (sort of) at the end. 

As for things to bring - I would say bring tools you prefer to work with (i.e. scrapers/spatulas, dipping forks, thermometer), maybe a mold or 2 if you have room. 

Also if you want to experiment with a new recipe, bring it along. I know my first workshop I attended I didn’t have anything to work on as I just wanted to observe what others were doing, which is entirely acceptable - though expect others to hound you about doing something 😉

It’s a very laid back, friendly group of people who enjoying getting together every year to nerd out with other chocolatiers and pass along their knowledge. 

I hope this helps!

Edited by YetiChocolates (log)
  • Like 1