• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

PLANNING: eGullet Chocolate and Confectionery Workshop 2019

gfron1

I’m really looking forward to this.  Just to second some others comments, I’m really interested in learning more about balancing recipes, adjusting water activity for shelf life, panning, using and sourcing natural colors, managing inventory, 3-D molding, using dairy and sugar alternatives, and new painting techniques.    

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
7 hours ago, TandemChocoPC said:

If anyone is interested I have a Friday master class registration available for sale. Unfortunately I'm not going to be able to arrive until Friday evening. 

I’m interested in buying your spot, as long as I don’t have to be a “master” in order to do the master class.  This will be my first workshop so I have no idea what to expect.

10 minutes ago, Haley said:

I’m interested in buying your spot, as long as I don’t have to be a “master” in order to do the master class.  This will be my first workshop so I have no idea what to expect.

Seeing your work - I think you'll do just fine!

• Like 2

Event Dates: May 18-19, 2019

St. Louis, MO Forest Park Community College Hospitality Building Hotel: Marriott Courtyard St Louis Downtown West, 2340 Market Street at Jefferson  St. Louis  MO  63103 

Book your group rate for Egullet Chocolate & Confection WorkshopGuests may also call Marriott Reservations @ 866.661.8954 and reference the Egullet Workshop group rate at Courtyard St. Louis Downtown West.

Airports: St. Louis Lambert (STL) is the major airport; The regional airport across the river is MidAmerica St. Louis (BLV) and is serviced by Allegient Airlines

Registration Links: Paypal.me link or Venmo link. To ensure your space in the workshop I will need your payment no later than April 12, 2019. 

Master Class: Friday, May 17 at Kakāō Chocolate in Maplewood. The morning session will focus on confections (Marshmallow, caramel, toffee and pate de fruit). The afternoon session will continue those sessions and add on 3-D molding (they do a brisk 3-D business). The shop is surrounded by great restaurants so we'll step out as a group for lunch with everyone covering their own meal. The full day of Master Class is $50 and will be limited to the first 15 to register. The owner, Brian Pelletier, will set up two or three stations for us to break into small groups and allow for intensive hands-on activity. This class will be great for anyone wanting to see a mid-sized operation that has been very successful. See their website for an idea of their work.

Official Dinner: Saturday, May 18 at The Chocolate Pig. As soon as I finalize payment details I will add it here.

*Note that details are subject to change. We have two key chocolatiers in town in the midst of major professional changes and so if either is able to participate we're going to grab them!

I wanted to come to this so badly, but it looks like this year is out. We've got some mental health issues with one of our kids that hasn't been resolved like we'd hoped, and end of the school year means stress will be even higher. It would be a lousy time for me to be gone. 

Have a ton of fun, folks! 

Hey gang - I have a guy nearby who was recommended by Midwest Airbrush Supply as being an expert on maintaining, cleaning, and modifying airbrushes. He does professional workshops. I've talked to him and his rates a bit high for us, but I want to gauge your interest before I try to negotiate a better price. HERE is his website.

I’m rather sure I’m in the minority, no airbrush in my shop and not planning to get one. So no interest in airbrush maintenance but sounds like a great idea for everyone who is airbrushing.

2 hours ago, gfron1 said:

Hey gang - I have a guy nearby who was recommended by Midwest Airbrush Supply as being an expert on maintaining, cleaning, and modifying airbrushes. He does professional workshops. I've talked to him and his rates a bit high for us, but I want to gauge your interest before I try to negotiate a better price. HERE is his website.

I would be very interested - I’d like to learn more about stencils

• Like 1

Hmm...well, based on the conversation here and on FB I may have misjudged interest. This guy is paint only and so the artistry side may or may not be applicable. I was thinking people (based on the repeated questions in this forum) had more need for maintenance and cleaning of the airbrush. He is too costly if there's not more consensus. 

Here is our menu for dinner at the Chocolate Pig on Saturday night. Just FYI.

Shareables to Start
Ham and Pimiento Cheese Deviled Eggs

Beet Ceviche

Chicken Fried Brussel Sprouts

Second Course

Arugula with Lemon and Pancetta Salad
Lemon Puree, Toasted Pine Nuts, Crispy Pancetta and Idiziabal Crisp

Third Course
Pre-Selected
Grilled Bone-In Pork Chop
Miso Mustard, Candied Sweet Potatoes and Braised Collard Greens Cauliflower Fried Rice
Sweet Soy, Local Vegetables, Fermented Ramps, Pickled Jalapeños and Fried Egg
Pan Roasted Halibut
Succotash of Purple Eyed Peas, Roasted Mushrooms, Pickled Sweet Peppers, and Tomato with a Sweet
Corn Butter Sauce

Roast chicken with farro and morels

Non-chocolate dessert

• Like 3
  • Delicious 1

I have a question - Friday night's chocolate trade social. I have a few options that are very low key. I want to offer the bar area of my restaurant which would be more public than the other options, and food and drink would cost (v. BYOB). We've done it all sorts of ways in the past and I don't want anyone feeling obligated since its my restaurant. Part of my motivation is that I want to be there, and I won't be able to if its anywhere else. Seriously, no feelings will be hurt - what do you prefer a private space where you can BYOB or my place which drinks and food would cost (I can certainly put a discount on eG purchases.

I’m also fine with Bulrush, especially since I won’t be able to make it to the Thursday night dinner.  Can you explain how the chocolate trade social usually goes?  Do I just bring a bunch of chocolates to share?

• Like 1