• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

PLANNING: eGullet Chocolate and Confectionery Workshop 2019

gfron1

17 hours ago, chocoera said:

do we have a rough outline of the day to day activities?  just when planning travel times etc.... (?)

The basic outline is:

Thursday - unofficial arrivals 

Friday - master classes from 9-12 and 1-4; chocolate social following informal dinner

Saturday - breakfast on site at 8 with workshop 9-3 or 4; dinner in evening

Sunday - breakfast on site at 8 with workshop 9-3

Full details should be posted any time now. The cold shut down both of the master class sites so I haven't heard back from them yet.

3 hours ago, gfron1 said:

The basic outline is:

Thursday - unofficial arrivals 

Friday - master classes from 9-12 and 1-4; chocolate social following informal dinner

Saturday - breakfast on site at 8 with workshop 9-3 or 4; dinner in evening

Sunday - breakfast on site at 8 with workshop 9-3

Full details should be posted any time now. The cold shut down both of the master class sites so I haven't heard back from them yet.

yikes- all the feels with this cold- we are suffering here for sure! arghh :)  that helps alot with travel plans, thanks rob :)

• Like 1

UPDATED to add Master Class Info.

----------------

Event Dates: May 18-19, 2019

St. Louis, MO Forest Park Community College Hospitality Building Hotel: Marriott Courtyard St Louis Downtown West, 2340 Market Street at Jefferson  St. Louis  MO  63103 

Book your group rate for Egullet Chocolate & Confection WorkshopGuests may also call Marriott Reservations @ 866.661.8954 and reference the Egullet Workshop group rate at Courtyard St. Louis Downtown West.

Airports: St. Louis Lambert (STL) is the major airport; The regional airport across the river is MidAmerica St. Louis (BLV) and is serviced by Allegient Airlines

Registration Links: Paypal.me link or Venmo link. To ensure your space in the workshop I will need your payment no later than April 12, 2019. 

Master Class: Friday, May 17 at Kakāō Chocolate in Maplewood. The morning session will focus on confections (Marshmallow, caramel, toffee and pate de fruit). The afternoon session will continue those sessions and add on 3-D molding (they do a brisk 3-D business). The shop is surrounded by great restaurants so we'll step out as a group for lunch with everyone covering their own meal. The full day of Master Class is $50 and will be limited to the first 15 to register. The owner, Brian Pelletier, will set up two or three stations for us to break into small groups and allow for intensive hands-on activity. This class will be great for anyone wanting to see a mid-sized operation that has been very successful. See their website for an idea of their work.

Official Dinner: Saturday, May 18 at The Chocolate Pig. As soon as I finalize payment details I will add it here.

*Note that details are subject to change. We have two key chocolatiers in town in the midst of major professional changes and so if either is able to participate we're going to grab them!

28 minutes ago, gfron1 said:

UPDATED to add Master Class Info.

----------------

St. Louis, MO Forest Park Community College Hospitality Building Hotel: Marriott Courtyard St Louis Downtown West, 2340 Market Street at Jefferson  St. Louis  MO  63103 

Book your group rate for Egullet Chocolate & Confection WorkshopGuests may also call Marriott Reservations @ 866.661.8954 and reference the Egullet Workshop group rate at Courtyard St. Louis Downtown West.

Airports: St. Louis Lambert (STL) is the major airport; The regional airport across the river is MidAmerica St. Louis (BLV) and is serviced by Allegient Airlines

Registration Links: Paypal.me link or Venmo link. To ensure your space in the workshop I will need your payment no later than April 12, 2019. 

Master Class: Friday, May 17 at Kakāō Chocolate in Maplewood. The morning session will focus on confections (Marshmallow, caramel, toffee and pate de fruit). The afternoon session will continue those sessions and add on 3-D molding (they do a brisk 3-D business). The shop is surrounded by great restaurants so we'll step out as a group for lunch with everyone covering their own meal. The full day of Master Class is $50 and will be limited to the first 15 to register. The owner, Brian Pelletier, will set up two or three stations for us to break into small groups and allow for intensive hands-on activity. This class will be great for anyone wanting to see a mid-sized operation that has been very successful. See their website for an idea of their work.

Official Dinner: Saturday, May 18 at The Chocolate Pig. As soon as I finalize payment details I will add it here.

*Note that details are subject to change. We have two key chocolatiers in town in the midst of major professional changes and so if either is able to participate we're going to grab them!

Do we register for the master class separately? Or do we just tack that on to the workshop payment?

29 minutes ago, Pastrypastmidnight said:

Do we register for the master class separately? Or do we just tack that on to the workshop payment?

It can be the same or different. I'll be able to recognize your intention by the dollar amount.

178913760_ScreenShot2019-02-02at1_05_16PM.png.4a4ae3e13e3b485cc6e4bfb3ccd0b7d0.png

Please remember that the Master Class is limited to 15 to ensure that we have intensive hands-on time. Half of those spots are already paid for. Early bird gets the worm! The main workshop will accommodate many more than that so less of a rush there.

Edited by gfron1 (log)

1 minute ago, gfron1 said:

178913760_ScreenShot2019-02-02at1_05_16PM.png.4a4ae3e13e3b485cc6e4bfb3ccd0b7d0.png

Please remember that the Master Class is limited to 15 to ensure that we have intensive hands-on time. Half of those spots are already paid for. Early bird gets the worm! The main workshop will accommodate many more than that so less of a rush there.

That's why I decided to jump on it, since I knew folks would sign up for the masters class quickly!

The Master Class is sold out. There are plenty of spots for the regular workshop. As in the past, and as has been previously stated here - we're not professional event planners, so there are no refunds. If you need to cancel, please post here and find someone to buy your spot. It happens every year and almost always there is someone who wants to sign up at the last minute. I'll keep you updated to all the developments! Thanks!

1586570261_ScreenShot2019-02-02at10_26_55PM.png.0f0adf2cccc7f5e9ecc151ad46979e9d.png

• Like 2

Just joining Egullet. The wonderful Jessica Washburn (PastriesPastMidnight) brought me here. I would have loved to join all the classes but we were traveling over the weekend/week and I missed her message. I am here now and would like to find out if there is a limit on the workshop space? 

I looked back on some of the Forum and found the price is $175 for the workshop, is that correct? 

1 hour ago, tmdrahota said:

Just joining Egullet. The wonderful Jessica Washburn (PastriesPastMidnight) brought me here. I would have loved to join all the classes but we were traveling over the weekend/week and I missed her message. I am here now and would like to find out if there is a limit on the workshop space? 

I looked back on some of the Forum and found the price is $175 for the workshop, is that correct? 

Yes, we have another 15-20 spots for the main workshop, and it iw $175 for the weekend. 

Now that y'all are past Valentines and switching over to Easter, its time to get some dialogue going about what folks want to do at the workshop. We're three months away and you'll want to get your room booked. Here's all the details:

----------------

St. Louis, MO Forest Park Community College Hospitality Building 

Hotel: Marriott Courtyard St Louis Downtown West, 2340 Market Street at Jefferson  St. Louis  MO  63103 

Master Class SOLD OUT: Friday, May 17 at Kakāō Chocolate in Maplewood. The morning session will focus on confections (Marshmallow, caramel, toffee and pate de fruit). The afternoon session will continue those sessions and add on 3-D molding (they do a brisk 3-D business). The shop is surrounded by great restaurants so we'll step out as a group for lunch with everyone covering their own meal. The full day of Master Class is $50 and will be limited to the first 15 to register. The owner, Brian Pelletier, will set up two or three stations for us to break into small groups and allow for intensive hands-on activity. This class will be great for anyone wanting to see a mid-sized operation that has been very successful. See their website for an idea of their work.

Official Dinner: Saturday, May 18 at The Chocolate Pig. As soon as I finalize payment details I will add it here.

• Like 1

hey you guys, truffly was asked to be a sponsor for the conference, and instead of straight up donating a door prize or something similar, they offered some of the silicones at a discounted rate.  they would sell $49 instead of $69 per silicone.  they wanted me to pre-buy a bunch, bring them, sell them, then send back the ones we dont use.  but i was hoping i could just sell them here  (pay me via paypal)(for those that wanted them) and put in the order to them and they could be mailed to the conference site, and i'd bring the paid orders and sort when we are there.  is there anyone here that is interested in that?  i'd like to get an order to them by thursday if possible.  otherwise i'll say thanks, but no thanks, not enough interest etc.  https://www.trufflymade.com/

i use these in my production, so i'll be taking them up on that discount....just fyi  :)

• Like 2

Sadly, I'm not going to make it this year.

Steve Lebowitz

Doer of All Things

Steven Howard Confections

Slicing a warm slab of bacon is a lot like giving a ferret a shave. No matter how careful you are, somebody's going to get hurt - Alton Brown, "Good Eats"