• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

PLANNING: eGullet Chocolate and Confectionery Workshop 2019

gfron1

52 minutes ago, gfron1 said:

Yeah, I would just call. Our contract calls for 5 king rooms and 15 doubles.

Nope - they only have one room type - they seem to have lost the 15 doubles and suggested that you will need to contact the group coordinator.

Doesn't bode well for the hotel!

Edited by Kerry Beal (log)

18 hours ago, ptw1953 said:

How I wish I were taking part in the Workshop, and meeting you all. Oh well...

Photos are definitely wished for.

Envious, that is what I am...😊

You and I will need to commiserate. The Monday after the workshop, I should be flying to...Edinburgh!

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

I was told that the rooms will be corrected this afternoon. What happened is that there are two Marriott Courtyards right across the street from each other. They originally wanted us in the other, but I wanted us to get the free parking of the one we ended up with. In that switch the room break down got missed. Like I said, should be correct shortly.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, gfron1 said:

I was told that the rooms will be corrected this afternoon. What happened is that there are two Marriott Courtyards right across the street from each other. They originally wanted us in the other, but I wanted us to get the free parking of the one we ended up with. In that switch the room break down got missed. Like I said, should be correct shortly.

Thanks Rob. 

1 hour ago, gfron1 said:

Interesting thing that moving to the other for free parking - right up front your egullet rate says $10/night for parking.

3 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

Interesting thing that moving to the other for free parking - right up front your egullet rate says $10/night for parking.

Feel free to DM any questions to me. No need to do this publicly. I've sent them a note with the contract attached.

17 minutes ago, gfron1 said:

Feel free to DM any questions to me. No need to do this publicly. I've sent them a note with the contract attached.

noted

Event Dates: May 18-19, 2019

St. Louis, MO Forest Park Community College Hospitality Building 

Master Class: May 17

Hotel: Marriott Courtyard St Louis Downtown West, 2340 Market Street at Jefferson  St. Louis  MO  63103 

Book your group rate for Egullet Chocolate & Confection WorkshopGuests may also call Marriott Reservations @ 866.661.8954 and reference the Egullet Workshop group rate at Courtyard St. Louis Downtown West.

Airports: St. Louis Lambert (STL) is the major airport; The regional airport across the river is MidAmerica St. Louis (BLV) and is serviced by Allegient Airlines

Registration Links: Paypal.me link or Venmo link. To ensure your space in the workshop I will need your payment no later than April 12, 2019. 

I believe everything is up to date, links have been corrected, parking is free although it will show $10 on the website, and double beds available while they last. A previous post listed alternative hotels as well.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, gfron1 said:

Floating an idea for the Master Class - anyone interested in 3D molding? I know Bissingers does quite a bit of this. Still exploring a few other ideas as well.

I think that would be a good one.

14 hours ago, gfron1 said:

Floating an idea for the Master Class - anyone interested in 3D molding? I know Bissingers does quite a bit of this. Still exploring a few other ideas as well.

Regular filling of 3D chocolate moulds or do they have some unusual techniques to share?

This morning I met with the head chocolate dude at Bissingers to explore the Master Class, and specifically I wanted to talk about 3D molding. What we ended up focusing on was this:

-1 hr more or less on 3D which would be hands on

-2-3 hours of professional level tour of their production plant, but with a very advanced focus meaning, as he and I walked around he was willing to share experience on numerous tempering machines, packaging supplies, shipping materials, staffing, r&d, one-shots, they only use natural colorants, he has a temper meter...very cool, and on and on, panning equipment, caramel kitchen, etc...

This got me to thinking about our group and how almost all started as hobbyists, and have expanded to various degrees. What I am envisioning is two sessions - in the morning visiting a mid-sized chocolate company and have them hands-on their specialty, and then in the afternoon going to Bissingers to see a large operation (not factory level). This would be a great opportunity to see two scales of ramp-up with experienced professionals who will cover the full spectrum of operations with us, and have a little hands on play time. Does this hold any interest for folks? I have confirmed that Rick Jordan can NOT do a class - he has a new project that is demanding all of his time.

Edited by gfron1 (log)
  • Like 1

On 12/5/2018 at 12:01 PM, gfron1 said:

This morning I met with the head chocolate dude at Bissingers to explore the Master Class, and specifically I wanted to talk about 3D molding. What we ended up focusing on was this:

-1 hr more or less on 3D which would be hands on

-2-3 hours of professional level tour of their production plant, but with a very advanced focus meaning, as he and I walked around he was willing to share experience on numerous tempering machines, packaging supplies, shipping materials, staffing, r&d, one-shots, they only use natural colorants, he has a temper meter...very cool, and on and on, panning equipment, caramel kitchen, etc...

This got me to thinking about our group and how almost all started as hobbyists, and have expanded to various degrees. What I am envisioning is two sessions - in the morning visiting a mid-sized chocolate company and have them hands-on their specialty, and then in the afternoon going to Bissingers to see a large operation (not factory level). This would be a great opportunity to see two scales of ramp-up with experienced professionals who will cover the full spectrum of operations with us, and have a little hands on play time. Does this hold any interest for folks? I have confirmed that Rick Jordan can NOT do a class - he has a new project that is demanding all of his time.

It would interest me - but behind the scenes has always held me in thrall.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

We are confirmed for Saturday night's dinner at a new place called The Chocolate Pig. A buddy of mine is the pastry chef, and he's been on some Food Network pastry competition shows. I like the menu because its reasonably priced, and a diverse enough menu that everyone should find something they can enjoy. They'll let us order off menu ahead of time so the kitchen will be prepared for us.

---------------

Hotel: Marriott Courtyard St Louis Downtown West, 2340 Market Street at Jefferson  St. Louis  MO  63103 

Book your group rate for Egullet Chocolate & Confection WorkshopGuests may also call Marriott Reservations @ 866.661.8954 and reference the Egullet Workshop group rate at Courtyard St. Louis Downtown West.

Airports: St. Louis Lambert (STL) is the major airport; The regional airport across the river is MidAmerica St. Louis (BLV) and is serviced by Allegient Airlines

Registration Links: Paypal.me link or Venmo link. To ensure your space in the workshop I will need your payment no later than April 12, 2019. 

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/29/2018 at 7:49 PM, gfron1 said:

I believe everything is up to date, links have been corrected, parking is free although it will show $10 on the website, and double beds available while they last. A previous post listed alternative hotels as well.

How much will the workshop cost?  

I’d love to learn some recipe formulas, 3D molding, and advanced painting techniques.  

2 hours ago, Anniebakes said:

How much will the workshop cost?  

I’d love to learn some recipe formulas, 3D molding, and advanced painting techniques.  

Same as last year ($175). The registration links have the details.

16 hours ago, Pastrypastmidnight said:

@gfron1, if I’m planning on attending but will most likely want to do the master class, etc., do register now and then pay for the addition items later or should I wait and pay the full fee at once? 

At this point in the calendar you can sit tight. If you follow this thread you'll know when momentum is building. I'm still trying to lock in the 2nd master class...I really want a skill-based workshop, and when I do that's when I think most people will jump in and start registering. You can split the registration up however....but again I don't expect to have many until March or even April.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/20/2019 at 3:35 PM, SchiehallionHandmade said:

Well I'm up on Skye :) have you ever been down to Cocoa Black in Peebles? I've done 2 courses there with Ruth Hinks. 

My niece was named after Skye.  Her father (my nephew) was named after Arran.