• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

PLANNING: eGullet Chocolate and Confectionery Workshop 2019

gfron1

Rob,

Thank you in advance for already finding a wonderful location and venue for the workshop.  I'll be driving from AR if I can help in any way.  Like others mentioned, there was a shortage of tools/equipment at the last workshop so good to know the venue has enough AND the Selmi/enrober.  I actually do like having someone with a well thought out instructive class be it the MC or whatever.  Doubt Elbow would make it, but he would be fantastic to learn from. 

• Like 1

David Smith

9 hours ago, lambrecht gourmet said:

Rob,

Thank you in advance for already finding a wonderful location and venue for the workshop.  I'll be driving from AR if I can help in any way.  Like others mentioned, there was a shortage of tools/equipment at the last workshop so good to know the venue has enough AND the Selmi/enrober.  I actually do like having someone with a well thought out instructive class be it the MC or whatever.  Doubt Elbow would make it, but he would be fantastic to learn from. 

I second the Elbow as instructor, it would be awesome to get some instruction from him. 

Also this venue area looks amazing Rob! 

10 hours ago, jrshaul said:

For the plebes in the audience, what should I know to get up to speed for this?

Thanks for speaking up for us. ☺️

I've never been to one of these and am a mostly one-person operation, so my preferences for classes are probably not close to the "norm" for attendees. I would love a workshop on recipe development and/or chemistry of various ingredients, particularly when trying to avoid artificial ingredients. Or chemistry/recipe development for vegan confections? 

Other than that, I'm just looking forward to meeting other folks in the industry. As a lifetime introvert with major anxiety issues, networking is just not in my toolbox... it would be nice to have a structured event to work on that. 😏

• Like 1

10 hours ago, jrshaul said:

For the plebes in the audience, what should I know to get up to speed for this?

Most important thing to know is that these are very casual and friendly, and there is a wide, wide range of skills levels and areas of expertise or interest. Every year we have people who are more skilled at eating chocolates and confections than making them.

Beyond that the formal program is Saturday and Sunday where we have a mix of peer-led instruction and more formal workshops. You can go to any or none. We also hold a Master Class on Friday for more experienced folks. Depending on what the topic is and where it is held, that will determine how many people and what skill level are required. We hold tours on Thursday for folks wanting to come in early, and/or we hold them on Friday for people not in the Master Class. We also do social gatherings Friday night and Saturday nights including a 'bring your creations' sharing event. Think of this as adult show-and-tell with souped up instruction. Long-timers, did I miss anything crucial?

Edited by gfron1 (log)
  • Like 1

It would be great if we could get demos from Rick Jordan and/or Nathaniel Reid. I would also be interested in behind the scenes tours of the local chocolate shops. Don't know if anyone else is interested but I would appreciate a demo/hands on workshop about sugarwork.

• Like 4

Just now, curls said:

It would be great if we could get demos from Rick Jordan and/or Nathaniel Reid. I would also be interested in behind the scenes tours of the local chocolate shops. Don't know if anyone else is interested but I would appreciate a demo/hands on workshop about sugarwork.

I second both of those ideas!  I'm having trouble visualizing my "next" phase of business, and if there are any artisan scale sized shops to see "behind the scenes" that would be fantastic

57 minutes ago, Gwbyls said:

Rob, if someone can tutor me on sponsorship requests etc, I can take this on. Let me know!

In the past we had a file of contacts. Hopefully that still exists. The companies all know us and it should be part of their regular offerings. @Kerry Beal @chocolat  - does someone have that file?

I don't - Ruth might. I know that when we've been in the US there are always a crapload more sponsors - I believe you were the one who brought a lot of them to us!

12 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

I don't - Ruth might. I know that when we've been in the US there are always a crapload more sponsors - I believe you were the one who brought a lot of them to us!

I created (so I probably still have) a database of sponsors from the last Vegas workshop. Maybe I can share the old one with you and others to get it updated.

I'm putting this on my calendar now! I can't wait to meet everyone and learn from real live people! So far I've been self-taught and I've been wanting to find classes that are above novice level, but also not super intimidating and this sounds like a great fit.  I'm interested in learning to formulate new ganache and filling recipes, working with colored cocoa butter, and understanding the different flavors and accents in different couvertures and finding their best uses (ganache, molding, dipping, etc.) and flavor combinations that work well with specific chocolates.  Mostly I just want to get tips and ideas and help from anyone else who is familiar with this niche market we are in!

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, RobertM said:

Rob, I seem to recall you, Kerry and Jim recently completed a decoration class.....it would be awesome to be able to pick your brain(s) about some new and different techniques.....

But if we show you - we'll have to kill you!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, RobertM said:

Rob, I seem to recall you, Kerry and Jim recently completed a decoration class.....it would be awesome to be able to pick your brain(s) about some new and different techniques.....

But its also others who've taken classes. I know I'm doing a Melissa class next week. That's one of the funs of this event is we come together once and year and share what we've learned.

I would love to learn from any of the chocolatiers mentioned—moving to KC and discovering Christopher Elbow is what turned me on to chocolate in the first place, and I’ve been dying to make it to Nathaniel Reid or Rick Jordan and have just never been able to. 

I would also really love to try out the enrober, seeing how it works, the settings, etc. We enrobed at MC, but she set it all up—we just loaded pieces on the belt or applied decor. I would love to get a deeper understanding of proper enrobing. 

11 hours ago, gfron1 said:

I know I'm doing a Melissa class next week.

Rob, I'm not seeing a class on her website for next week... what is the class and who will be teaching it? Hope you have a great time. As you already know, she is a great instructor and has an amazing classroom/workshop.

1 hour ago, curls said:

Rob, I'm not seeing a class on her website for next week... what is the class and who will be teaching it? Hope you have a great time. As you already know, she is a great instructor and has an amazing classroom/workshop.

You just gave me a heart attack! HERE You're looking at the guest instructor section. This is a Melissa class.

Sorry Rob I sure didn’t mean to scare you! Thanks for the link. Looks like a great class! I was wondering if you were going to take the Hasnoot class (it’s the following week). Someday I hope to take a high end pastry class — I should start playing with the pastry books I have! 😉

• Like 1

On 9/12/2018 at 8:29 PM, Kerry Beal said:

Don't think I can do the sponsor organizing thing from here - but I'll take take of Canadian requests. 

Hopefully workshop choices will come out of what people identify as wanting to learn. Are you thinking workshops we teach or outside talent?

I would suggest reaching out to Nathaniel Reed.  He's an extraordinary talent and a good teacher.

Steve Lebowitz

Doer of All Things

Steven Howard Confections

Slicing a warm slab of bacon is a lot like giving a ferret a shave. No matter how careful you are, somebody's going to get hurt - Alton Brown, "Good Eats"

Just had another thought.  Susan Notter became a brand ambassador for Felchlin this year.  Perhaps AUI/Felchlin would be willing to sponsor her to teach a master class.  

• Like 2

Steve Lebowitz

Doer of All Things

Steven Howard Confections

Slicing a warm slab of bacon is a lot like giving a ferret a shave. No matter how careful you are, somebody's going to get hurt - Alton Brown, "Good Eats"

39 minutes ago, lebowits said:

I would suggest reaching out to Nathaniel Reed.  He's an extraordinary talent and a good teacher.

He would certainly be easy to work with. We've chatted many times. As long as wedding season doesn't tie him down. The question would be how best to use his knowledge.