• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

gfron1

gfron1

This morning I met with the head chocolate dude at Bissingers to explore the Master Class, and specifically I wanted to talk about 3D molding. What we ended up focusing on was this:

-1 hr more or less on 3D which would be hands on

-2-3 hours of professional level tour of their production plant, but with a very advanced focus meaning, as he and I walked around he was willing to share experience on numerous tempering machines, packaging supplies, shipping materials, staffing, r&d, one-shots, they only use natural colorants, he has a temper meter...very cool, and on and on, panning equipment, caramel kitchen, etc...

This got me to thinking about our group and how almost all started as hobbyists, and have expanded to various degrees. What I am envisioning is two sessions - in the morning visiting a mid-sized chocolate company and have them hands-on their specialty, and then in the afternoon going to Bissingers to see a large operation (not factory level). This would be a great opportunity to see two scales of ramp-up with experienced professionals who will cover the full spectrum of operations with us, and have a little hands on play time. Does this hold any interest for folks? I have confirmed that Rick Jordan can NOT do a class - he has a new project that is demanding all of his time.

gfron1

gfron1

A couple more updates. 

I have us booked at The Chocolate Pig for our group dinner. Still working out details, but it is a great fit for a bunch of reasons. They just opened a month ago, and are an offshoot of Bissingers Chocolates. Diverse and fun menu that is price appropriately, and so everyone should be able to find something they'll enjoy. Like I said, still working out details of things like set menu with options v. everyone orders on their own v. order on your on but ahead of time. Will keep you posted.

This morning I met with the head chocolate dude at Bissingers to explore the Master Class, and specifically I wanted to talk about 3D molding. What we ended up focusing on was this:

-1 hr more or less on 3D which would be hands on

-2-3 hours of professional level tour of their production plant, but with a very advanced focus meaning, as he and I walked around he was willing to share experience on numerous tempering machines, packaging supplies, shipping materials, staffing, r&d, one-shots, they only use natural colorants, he has a temper meter...very cool, and on and on, panning equipment, caramel kitchen, etc...

This got me to thinking about our group and how almost all started as hobbyists, and have expanded to various degrees. What I am envisioning is two sessions - in the morning visiting a mid-sized chocolate company and have them hands-on their specialty, and then in the afternoon going to Bissingers to see a large operation (not factory level). This would be a great opportunity to see two scales of ramp-up with experienced professionals who will cover the full spectrum of operations with us, and have a little hands on play time. Does this hold any interest for folks? I have confirmed that Rick Jordan can NOT do a class - he has a new project that is demanding all of his time.