• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chicken breast recipes for those who don't like breast meat

TdeV

I've been researching chicken produced by massive farms, and the results aren't pretty. How prevalent are these dangerous chicken practises? I.e. are these practises of "most" large chicken farms, or "occasional" chicken farms?

So, my neighhbourhood farmer has free range whole chickens which have large breasts and small legs (breed choice). Presumably if I can commit to buying chickens from him, he might breed some with with small breasts and larger legs.

In the meantime, I need something to do with chicken breast (which I normally find dry and tasteless).

Should I pound it thin then stuff it? Stuff it without pounding it thin? Suggestions?

The poach method where you bring it to temperature in seasoned liquid and then let it rest can result in an edible enjoyable product.as well, exploring Chinese velveting techniques is worth it.

Edited by heidih (log)
  • Like 2

Butterfly it, pound it thin, dredge in flour, then dip in a milk/egg mixture, then dredge again in panko. Fry in a medium hot skillet. Wonderful schnitzel.

I also like to take those pounded thin filets, spread them with fresh ricotta mixed with a  little basil pesto, roll them up and bake them in the CSO. Then I let them cool, slice them, and layer them with sliced tomatoes. Caprese-ish entree for a hot day.

Or poach it and make chicken salad.

• Like 2

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

There are so many ways to go. Almost all "dry and tasteless" complaints are problems with technique. Skewer it. I've never had bad yakitori or souvlaki. Or deep fry it. Or cut it into thin strips and stir-fry it. Or get creative with the pound+stuff method. In any case, brine it (or use a marinade that includes salt). And don't overcook it. If you do overcook it, make a pan sauce. 

• Like 4