• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Need help replacing vintage mold

ChrisZ

Hoping for some help.  I accidentally melted an old mould that is very important to us and I've had no luck searching around for a replacement.  

If anyone knows where I could buy one - or even has one to spare they would be willing to sell - please send me a message.

The mould (label attached below) was originally labelled as "Easy as ABC gelatin mould", although we just call it the alphabet mould.  Yes there are lots of alphabet moulds around, including new silicone ones, but we need the specific designs on this one to replace the one I damaged.  Depending on the cost, I would consider paying for postage internationally (to Australia).

Thanks in advance!

ABC_AlphabetMould_Smaller.jpg

Thank you so much!  Not only for spotting the auction (I have been checking Ebay myself but stuff comes and goes...) but thanks to your link, I realised that the plastic mold I've been using is most probably a cheap rip-off of a cast-iron cookie mold design by John Wright...

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=JOHN+WRIGHT+CAST+IRON+ALPHABET&_sacat=0

...and there are loads of these available!  I really had no idea...

You have made my day 🙂  Thanks again.

• Like 2

@ChrisZ,

I'm very happy you found your replacement mold! (mould?)

When this thread first popped up I thought you might be talking about some of the tin molds for gelatin or mousse that are plated with copper that were popular back in the 60's and 70's here in the US. As part of my retro country kitch decor in my large kitchen, that I love a lot, I have five of these molds hung on the walls. There is an elaborate heart (smaller) and larger ones of a swimming fish, a leaping fish, a lobster and a rooster. They are all quite detailed with feathers on the rooster and scales on the fish. I have never used then to mold anything, but I just love them anyway.

I was hoping I would have something you like that I could send you, but such is not the case, so I'm very glad you found what you wanted.

> ^ . . ^ <