• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

where to eat on the drive between Oklahoma and NOLA

cyalexa

I'm driving to a meeting in NOLA from Oklahoma. I am looking for good food options on the drive. I'll probably drive home thru Dallas but am thinking of making Shreveport my overnight stop on the way south. I have some flexibility and may take 3 days instead of 2 on one leg of the trip -  the food orientated version of the scenic route.  I'm reading the threads in this forum and am planning on Restaurant Rebirth and Cochon in NOLA. Thanks in advance.

• 1 month later...
On 7/22/2018 at 2:23 PM, cyalexa said:

I'm driving to a meeting in NOLA from Oklahoma. I am looking for good food options on the drive. I'll probably drive home thru Dallas but am thinking of making Shreveport my overnight stop on the way south. I have some flexibility and may take 3 days instead of 2 on one leg of the trip -  the food orientated version of the scenic route.  I'm reading the threads in this forum and am planning on Restaurant Rebirth and Cochon in NOLA. Thanks in advance.

Sorry I am so late seeing this.  Shreveport,  for dinner, the Lucky Palace in Bossier City is the best.  Really good Chinese.  Nothing like most.  Don't be put off by the motel it is located in.  The food is so worth it and Lim has created an incredible wine selection.  Depending on what time your driving Natchitoches for meat pies.  If you go all the way down to Lafayette to get on I-10 lots of good cajun choices.  If you take US90 through Baton Rouge, find Stinky's Fish Camp.  It just opened.  I still remember Chef Jim Richards (Ree-chard) gumbo from when I dined at his place down in Santa Rosa Beach, FL.  Make sure you fill the gas tank before leaving S'port, not to many stations on l-49

t

• Like 1

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

Thanks for the reply. I had a great trip - one of my best eating trips ever and that is saying a lot! I had Lucky's on my list but didn't make it. 

I haven't been on egullet for the last year and a half because I have a new more than full-time volunteer job - political activist and community organizer. I still cook dinner from scratch pretty much every night and bake all our bread but have probably only tried 2 or 3 new recipes in all that time.  I noticed your new tag line regarding steaks. I spent $40 on a "Wagyu" rib eye at the farmers' market a couple weeks ago. It looked the part with the extreme marbling and I was pleased with the cook (blazing hot GrillGrate plancha)  but it did not taste appreciably better than a good grocery store choice steak. The vendor is my neighbor and I try to buy from him every couple weeks but I think I will stick to his grass fed less expensive cuts in the future. His grass fed round steak did make some kick-ass chicken-fry.   

• Like 1