• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Need recommendations, Philadelphia, 1 fine dining, 1 casual

Elrushbo

Parc is a French bistro on Rittenhouse Sq very popular and not bad

Zinc is a great little French place near Jefferson hosp.  about at 9th st or so.....Beware...there are two restaurants with this name in Phila.

Osteria is up on Broad St and is a great contemp Italian.  Pasta is great as is roasted meats. Get the roasted veg appetizer for the table

Vernick is contemp fine dining. Very hard to get in, but you can eat at the bar

Zahav is Israeli and great.

If you need more, just ask.

I'd choose Zinc and Osteria if it were me.

• Thanks 1

Plenty of places that serve French and Italian food in centre city. I suggest Cucina Forte, Amis, Bistro la Minette, Beau Monde, Cafe Lutecia, Cafe Clave, Bibou, Patisserie Creme Brulee, J'aime Patisserie, Frangelli's, Gran Caffe L'Aquila, La Maude Cafe, Le Virtu, Melograno, Monsu, Res Ipsa, Victor Cafe. You can Google each of these for more information. Feel free to send me messages. I live in centre city and am very familar with the dining scene here.

Edited by Howard Serlick-Noble-Napier (log)
  • Thanks 1

Yours aye,

The MacNapier

We recently stayed at the Alexander Inn (12th & Spruce) and really liked it.  

Of the places you listed, we ate at Le Virtu.  It was absolutely not what we expected.  The web site & friends' recommendations had us thinking that this would be a darkish old school type place with an upscale wine list and tablecloths.  Nope.  A bright, airy place with informal, friendly service and both a server & a middle aged S. Philly (50s? 60s?) owner who spent time talking about Italy & the neighborhood with us.  This was the most Brooklyn type place for us & we really enjoyed it.  A bottle of Aglianico ($45 - reasonable) and a Sunday fixed price meal ($35pp) that included 3 courses (anything on the menu -- each course smaller than would be served off the regular menu) plus cookies.  Cheese/egg meatless "meatballs", mixed fried vegetables as apps were both excellent.  The pastas were exceptional & the highlights of the meal.  As is usually the case with multi-course Italian means, the protein course was okay - I had lamb, Ginny had pork, both were good but nothing to write effusive statements about.  We'd definitely return.

We also went to Mr. Martino's Trattoria.   This place is hard to summarize.  It's very good home cooking and we'd go back if it was near our home.  The owner went out of his way when we arrived and sat down to make sure we knew that it was "nothing fancy" & that his wife was doing all the cooking to order.  Good self assessment.  We decided to eat at the bar area (BYOB place - no alcohol license so this was a "bar" in name only) and had nice chats with the owner, the waitstaff and a customer or two.  From the baked ricotta w/dried sausage, to the veal tortelloni w/gorgonzola tomato sauce, to the lemon tart -- all was very nicely done & portioned well (medium sized, but enough).  The place was charming, with things like a rotary dial phone, old fans, photos and antique store decor.  Everyone was friendly, the room full of regular customers.  Its more than worth going & we're glad we did, but only if you're looking for a locals informal place & not an upscale setting/meal.  Cash only & very reasonable, partially due to the BYOB.

• Like 1

I’m going down in a week and a half to see James Taylor and the Eagles. If anyone recommends a better way to get to Citizens Bank than an Uber, I’d appreciate it. 

I like the Good Dog Bar as its been a  favorite of mine for a while. Nice bartenders. 

I’m a Scarpetta fan so i can’t not recommend it. 

House of Prime Rib is decent. 

Edited by MetsFan5 (log)
  • Like 1

@MetsFan5, the “best” way to Citizens Bank Park is the subway (Septa Broad St line). It stops close by, short walk, don’t have to deal with the traffic backing up in/out of the parking lot. But if you aren’t comfortable with that...Uber it is.

• Thanks 1

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

When we've been to shows there (at one of the arenas - I've vowed never to see another show at Citizens Bank Park) and stayed downtown, we've always used the subway.

At other times, we have driven down and drove back home post show...but I was younger then.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

5 hours ago, MetsFan5 said:

I’m going down in a week and a half to see James Taylor and the Eagles. If anyone recommends a better way to get to Citizens Bank than an Uber, I’d appreciate it. 

I like the Good Dog Bar as its been a  favorite of mine for a while. Nice bartenders. 

I’m a Scarpetta fan so i can’t not recommend it. 

House of Prime Rib is decent. 

Coming from a hotel in Philly or are you in NJ?

• 2 weeks later...

We ate at The Prime Rib. The food was good and they have a 2004 Duckhorn Merlot on sale for $75. Sold. 

Unfortunately the ‘gentleman’ next to me paid for his date as well as their meal and I was close enough to them to lose my appetite. 

Last time we went down a year ago we ate at Scarpetta at 9pm on a Sunday. The food was excellent. The table next to us all wore sunglasses (it was dark out and the restaurant is dimly lit), cursed in ways I’ve only done in a blind rage while one of the couples feral child ran around taking down chairs, glassware and anything else within reach while the parents did nothing. 

I don’t think Philly is my scene. 

Edited by MetsFan5 (log)
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, MetsFan5 said:

I don’t think Philly is my scene. 

I'm sorry to hear that.  Terrible, but you have had an atypical experience.  This isn't typical Philly.

Probably they were New Yorkers.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

It's a quirky thing, I know, but there was a period of time when I was in Philly three or four times a year, and I always, always went to the Austrian Village in Huntingdon Valley. I dearly love that place. I have never tasted a red cabbage that can come up with theirs.

We would occasionally go to a little place called Bridget's, not too far from the art museum. And Lafayette's Tavern, in another one of the 'burbs (I forget which one). I never got to Le Bec Fin before it closed. But we'd also go to Budakhan, which I enjoyed, downtown. Oh, and Villa di Roma, in the Italian market district. Best ravioli and meatballs I believe I have ever had.

• Like 2

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com