• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

cheese slicers

lindag

Slicing the cheese for my occasional grilled cheese sandwich has been a bit of a struggle lately.  My wire slicer (shown) and my small knife don’t work very well.

i found this slicer on Amazon and I'm pretty impressed with it.

It's. A bit bigger than I expected and it reminds me of a guillotine.  😁

"

Edited by lindag (log)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, lindag said:

Slicing the cheese for my occasional grilled cheese sandwich has been a bit of a struggle lately.  My wire slicer (shown) and my small knife don’t work very well.

i found this slicer on Amazon and I'm pretty impressed with it.

It's. A bit bigger than I expected and it reminds me of a guillotine.  😁

"

I didn't buy the slicer but clicking on your link caused me to spend $65.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Just now, lindag said:

I did buy it but have not yet used it....maybe tomorrow.

I based  my decision on the mostly 4.5 rating Amazon reviews.

I just watched the video you linked to and that disturbs me some.  Will have to see how it performs for me.

I've always just used a cheese plane--makes thin slices that work well for a grilled cheese sandwich. It's hard to hurt yourself using a cheese plane. I don't care for the wire type, but the paper cutter version is interesting. Let us know how you like it.

Nancy in Pátzcuaro

• Like 1

Formerly "Nancy in CO"

For just thin slices I use my cheese plane.  If I want to get a bit fancy and have some Tete de Moine or Petit Basque I break out the girolle.  

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

Since my (late) Danish brother-in-law introduced me to this style of cheese slicer, I have never looked back. 

• Like 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

4 hours ago, Anna N said:

Since my (late) Danish brother-in-law introduced me to this style of cheese slicer, I have never looked back. 

Not clear to me how it works, Anna.  

No cheese slicer has ever been a star in this family and we simply slice it all with a knife.  Strangely enough, the knife chosen is a very cheap one, serrated, and was found by Ed in the Drive Shed (it's called a Drive Shed because you could literally drive two 18-wheelers into it and it's a continuous nightmare to me) and was a completely unknown mystery to both of us.  

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Results from the new slicer were great!

don’t know what the problem was with the person who posted the shots on Amazon of the crumbled cheese. Maybe it was the cheese she used, mine is just med. cheddar which sliced easily, thick or thin.

F9E9EA20-2D44-4805-BA01-6FDE9C4D383F.jpeg

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Darienne said:

Not clear to me how it works, Anna.  

Like so.

• Like 4

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

On 7/14/2018 at 12:20 PM, lindag said:

Results from the new slicer were great!

don’t know what the problem was with the person who posted the shots on Amazon of the crumbled cheese. Maybe it was the cheese she used, mine is just med. cheddar which sliced easily, thick or thin.

It's possible the cheese that person used could have been previously frozen. Cheese that has been frozen tends to crumble when used on a grater, so perhaps it did the same with this guillotine-type cutter.

On 7/14/2018 at 6:10 PM, Anna N said:

The cheese in the video must have been at room temperature to be sliced so easily by the wire cutter. It's the "Oops! I forgot to take the cheese out of the refrigerator and need some slices now" moments that might test cheese wire-cutters. 

• Haha 1

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

8 minutes ago, Toliver said:

The cheese in the video must have been at room temperature to be sliced so easily by the wire cutter. I

I am not one to remember to take the cheese out in time for it to reach room temperature before I slice it. I tend to use the slicer on cheeses such as cheddar and Gruyere that are not particularly artisinal in nature—  workhorse cheeses that you use primarily for cooking. Better cheeses are rarely sliced at my house. 

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

37 minutes ago, Toliver said:

The cheese in the video must have been at room temperature to be sliced so easily by the wire cutter. It's the "Oops! I forgot to take the cheese out of the refrigerator and need some slices now" moments that might test cheese wire-cutters. 

Really? I always find it slices better when still cold from the fridge. It's softer at room temp, but doesn't slice as neatly for exactly that reason (at least for me...you may be defter with your slicer).

• Like 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

7 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

So is it easy to clean?  (Please tell me it's a PITA).

Most of them go into the dishwasher. But really it’s just as easy as taking a soapy cloth as you would to a dinner knife,  rinsing it and drying it.  One of mine has a wooden handle so it requires a little more care and attention. The wires do break eventually so it’s wise to have a spare wire on hand. 

• Thanks 1

My 2004 eG Blog