• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Flavor combinations

blbst36

I have a cookie recipe that I LOVE.  It's a lemon cookie with raisins mixed in.  But, the weirdos I am friends with don't like raisins.  (weirdos)  I got some dried blueberries and dried cherries to try a different combo.  I think the lemon would still work with the blueberries, but I need something to go with the cherries.  It's an extract that flavors the dough.  I have almond (I am leaning this way), orange, vanilla, lemon, and possibly anise.

Any advice?  Or suggestions?  

Lemon and blueberry go together like bacon and anything, it's a great combination.

• Like 3

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

@blbst36   I totally agree with @Tri2Cook....lemon and blueberries, most definitely.   And, I agree with @Jim D.... Cherries and almond compliment each other and work beautifully together.      

But, I am a great lover of chocolate.  While the chocolate thing might not work so well with lemon and blueberries (except maybe white chocolate), some chunks of dark chocolate mixed in with the cherries and almonds...that, my friend, is the stuff that dreams are made of.   

• Like 5

-Andrea

A 'balanced diet' means chocolate in BOTH hands. :biggrin:

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

:)  All of you are weirdos!  

I just made the dough.  Tastes pretty good.  I'll bake the cookies tomorrow.  I really think the lemon is the best, I don't think that the almond is bad, though.  I'm interested to see how they taste baked.

• Like 1

The lemon cookies seem to be the winner (of those that told me their preference).  The recipe calls for using a fork to smush the cookie similar to a peanut butter cookie.  The last time and this, I've been lazy and didn't do it.  I think it is affecting (effecting?) the texture.  The mouthfeel is off with them.  No one noticed but me since they are my favorites.  I think I'll do it again with the fork and see if it makes a difference.  I also softened the butter a little too much resulting in a more greasy cookie.  Again, something only I would notice.

All in all, still a good turn out.  I liked experimenting with the flavors.  

• Like 3