• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

No Passport Required

heidih

I've just set it up to record as well.

I don't actually watch much food-related TV anymore (most of it's pretty poor) but this one looks like a winner.

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

I particularly loved Leah Chase at 95 wanting to learn more about incorporating Vietnamese greens into her dishes and having already explored things like lemongrass. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I just got around to watching this episode last night, it was really interesting and enjoyable. I did enjoy the conversations with the younger guys about how they merge the two cultures and try to hold on to their roots.

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

I have really enjoyed the episodes of this show that I've watched and am glad for Marcus Samuelsson that he has his own show now.

Just don't buy his branded baking sheets. I bought one before I even knew who he was several years ago, a BIG one. The large size amplifies the SPROING thing that goes on with thermal contraction/expansion. This flings the carefully prepared food you made all over the place. I can't use it for baking, but it might come in handy for something else one day, so I kept it. Believe me, this happens EVERY time the sheet is subjected to oven heat, even at 350 F. No one field tested this product. Couldn't have.

> ^ . . ^ <

I'll be the contrarian. I found Mr. Samuellson  to be pretentious and to talk down to his audience. His political agenda shines through. I wasn't impressed with his sanitation either. He tasted from a dish with his fingers and then took a second taste after having his fingers in his mouth. No particular concern about cross contamination either. I watched two complete episodes; I won't watch him again. Just not okay on a number of fronts.

sail fast and eat well, dave

Dave Skolnick S/V Auspicious

http://AuspiciousWorks.com