• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Relations with omnivores

I am not a vegetarian, but have some concern about recommending certain restaurants that seem to offer vegetarian dishes for fear that they do not really meet the needs of those who are vegetarians. To what extend need I be aware and to what exptent do vegetarians take precaution against dished where the vegetables are cooked in, or finished off with chicken or veal stock, or pork or goose fat for instance? For those who are vegetarians out of health concerns, I assume a small amount of stock or fat might not be critical, but for those whose concerns are ethical or religious, even a small amount might be of serious concern. Am I best off as an omnivore, just not making suggestions?

Most of the vegetarians I know, tolerate dairy products and and a small amount of fish or seafood. Dining socially, I usually recommend an Italian, Chinese or Indian restaurant and usually don't mind not eating meat or poultry myself for the evening lest they find it offensive. Most restaurants that advertise themselves as health food restaurants have not appealed to me. Do you have any other ecumenical suggestions?

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

Robert: Thanks for the question. I gather you live in Paris, and Vegetarian Times recently had a roundup of veggie restaurants in Paris. In the US, at least in food-conscious cities like Washington DC, chefs take the matter of eating vegetarian more and more seriously andÑas I've been toldÑare very careful about how they prepare vegetarian meals so that there is no involvement with meat products/by-products. There is also a concerted effort by many chefs to offer true vegetarian entrees that are not just a pile of steamed veggies. If you ask for an all-vegetarian dish at most restaurants, chefs really do respect your requestÑand that means no chicken stock, no fish stock. Your suggestions of Chinese, Indian and Italian restaurant destinations are good, but you can also add on Thai, Ethiopian, and Korean. Hope that helps. Thanks, Alexandra

Robert: Thanks for the question. I gather you live in Paris

I wish ...

Actually I live in New York, but often travel to France. As coordinator for the France board however, I'd love to have a list of vegetarian restaurants in Paris or elsewhere in France. If this list is in the public domain, I'd love to see it posted on the France board, or if it's online, I'd love to see a post with a link to it. From time to time restaurants serving good vegetarian dishes are mentioned in that board and there's a thread devoted to Vegetarian Haute Cuisine in France.

Thanks for you post.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.