• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sous vide shrimp from frozen

TdeV

I too thaw , peel and then SV. 

Definitely do a test or two to see how you like them done. 

Im fond of a bit of butter and sherry vinegar and pimenton in the bag for a tapas-y thing. 

• Like 2

Well, I was worried that the frozen shrimp (with quite a bit of ice) would produce too much liquid, so I actually put them in room temperature water before the sous vide which thawed them in minutes. Then I dried the shrimp.

I sautéed some fresh garlic in butter and chipotle olive oil, added some Rosé and reduced, cooled it, then added to bags of shrimp and salmon. Water bath for shrimp at 125F and salmon at 114F, both done for 20 minutes.

Meanwhile I boiled some spaghetti (whole wheat, durum and quinoa flours)

Chopped avocado, cucumber, parsley, sunflower seeds, lime zest and juice of one lime.

Sous vide shrimp and salmon pasta

(Not sure why the image rotated when I inserted it; can't find any way to rotate it back!)

Edited by TdeV
I forgot the wine! (log)
  • Like 1

The shrimp were purchased frozen and were very tasty. I've never sous vide shrimp before and these were much more rare than I've ever managed to cook shrimp. A very interesting delivery. I shall be doing more of this.

On the other hand, the salmon was "fresh" from a grocery fish counter and I'm not sure how long it had been defrosted, so the taste was a tad off. (I'm very sensitive to fish). Tolerable but not great.

Lately I've been buying fish from Sitka Salmon Shares which is reliably great fish but comes in 1 lb packets which is awkward (i.e. too large) when one wants to have anything other than a slab of filet.

This is silly, really, when I grew up with Bubble & Squeak (last night's fish mixed with last night's veg, potato & egg mixed into a patty and fried). Maybe with an egg on top.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Okanagancook said:

When I cook shrimp on the stove top I use an instant read thermometer stuck in the fat part of the critter to know when I am there....I know, my friends call me names.🙃

Lol.  Me too. 

SV takes away the pressure. 

I just checked my notes.  I do 130 f x 15 minutes. Just enough bite but no toughness. 

Edited by gfweb (log)
  • Like 2

Thanks for the details on your shrimp cookery.  I have done it once and am too lazy to get up to look at my notes to see what I did but I think it was 125f like I do when not sous viding.

ha, last year for my bday I got live British Columbia Spot Prawns.$$

i just poached them in lemon/ garlic broth with the Thermapen monitoring...they were spectacular.  With something like that I would be too nervous to do them SV..I guess I am more of a control freak.

• Like 2

@Okanagancook I'm a control freak too.  That is why I SV a lot and rarely grill. Grilling is so imprecise. Hamburgers may be the one exception.  I'll SV steaks and finish them on the grill for show just to please the guests. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Okanagancook said:

Thanks for the details on your shrimp cookery.  I have done it once and am too lazy to get up to look at my notes to see what I did but I think it was 125f like I do when not sous viding.

ha, last year for my bday I got live British Columbia Spot Prawns.$$

i just poached them in lemon/ garlic broth with the Thermapen monitoring...they were spectacular.  With something like that I would be too nervous to do them SV..I guess I am more of a control freak.

When are spot prawns in season?  I have only ever seen one store selling them but in the past I've been too cheap to get any,  maybe I'll splurge and get some next time around.

The Season starts in May and ends near the end of June.  Spot prawns are very fragile and get mushy if they are not fresh.   So be very careful with your supplier.  Here are the ones we got last year for my birthday.  I poached them.DSC01975-1.thumb.jpg.4730c521a5248e616d6ea4332a1b5aac.jpgDSC01977.thumb.jpg.4650bf685b8be29c9a91793f325457f3.jpgDSC01978.thumb.jpg.4860028a6bea9771cc5b5b362b244cf6.jpg

• Like 8
  • Delicious 1