• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pork Rind Recs?

SLB

I'm interested in a source of tasty pork rinds (not the hard cracklins, the soft puffy ones).  I'd be happy to mail-order, I'd like to get a lot of them.  

Ummm every Hispanic/Latin market I've ever been to has them and they are tasty. Even my 99 Cent store has excellent ones. I can't get there for a bit or I'd send some. They generally come in plain (still flavorful) and spicy

Edited by heidih (log)

Yes, I live in a Dominican neighborhood, and am familiar with the mass-produced products.

There is a thread in the Cooking forum on pork farmers who produce fine house-cured and -finished pork products (including service meats and cracklings, etc).  Between that and the mind-bogglingly-delicious house-made pork rinds that I had recently at a resto called "Bluestem" in Kansas City, I thought someone may have a line on something unique.  

Edited by SLB (log)

Are you in Kansas City? If so, Bichelmeyer Meats in KCK has excellent chicharronnes. They may only sell them on Saturday though. If you go, get the tamales as well. 

• Like 1

That's the thing about opposum inerds, they's just as tasty the next day.

Push comes to shove, get in touch. The barbecue place here sells a huge bag of 'em for $2.99, best ones I ever ate. I can pick up a bag ad ship to you

• Like 2

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

@kayb, you're the bomb!  I'll get in touch if it comes to that!

@chileheadmike, I don't live in KC, I'm just there once every other year or so.  

@pastrygirl, thanks.  I know of 4505, but was thinking surely they were high.  I appreciate the review from someone who's actually tasted them.  

All that said, I do live in NYC, and need to just take my behind over to Queens and see what's happening in some of the meat shops.

Edited by SLB (log)

But the OP wanted the floofy puffy ones. I can get heart stopping (cardiac & taste wise) ones buit the puffy light a asir ones are not generally the "artisan"