• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bosch stovetop issue

heidih

The 96 year old wants to fudge around with the problem burner. He thinks it is "plugged up". No boiling over has occurred. Its a 4 year old Bosch stovetop and the issue is at the most frequently used front right burner. It clicks and clicks- gas is coming out -can smell it so seems like an ignition issue. I am3 mechanically challenged. Any thoughts?

s1.JPG

s2.JPG

3.JPG

Edited by heidih (log)

When my old stove burners would click and click without igniting, I'd use a wand lighter (matches seemed too close to my fingers lol) and it would start and then be better for a while about lighting on it's own.  I realize this doesn't solve the problem, but it offers a temporary solution.

• Like 1

I have dealt with similar problems with a different stove with sealed burners. Make sure that the igniter, clear down to the stove, is very clean to that is doesn't provide any kind of a conductive path. Also, Make sure that the outside of the burner by the igniter is clean to so that there is no impediment to the spark fully happening.

ETA: Make sure the underside of the burner and the surface of the stove that is contacts is clean.

Edited by Porthos (log)
  • Like 2

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

s noted I am a mechanical moron. I can build an Eric Owen Moss or Thom Mayne fantasy but the stove... So the white thing is the igniter right?There is no way to lift stovetop. 

igniter.JPG

Edited by heidih (log)

Yes, the white pillar is the igniter. Does the burner lift off of the stove? If not, ignore the "clean between the burner and stove top" advice.

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

Any crud on the burner near the igniter will stop lighting of the burner. Even some water sitting in the hole gas comes out will do this. 

Ream each out with a tooth pick. 

It looks like I have the exact same - or very similar - stove. That happens to me occasionally when I boil over or somehow spill something. Not sure where the stuff collects, but it causes that endless clicking. My solution is usually to light the burner manually, as Shelby suggests, and let it burn off. Sometimes it seems to be water that has gotten in somewhere it doesn't belong. The flame dries the burner out and the clicking stops. Hope that works for you.

• Like 1

Thanks to ALL! Will try both manual lighting and toothpick when daylight arrives. I have to unfortunately involve the "all-knowing" 95 year old but I will force him to read your responses which make such practical sense. As noted I am mechanically challenged though my paternal relatives are all lauded engineers and scientists... He is a bit full of humself with the current status of Croatia in the WorldCup....

• Like 4