• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Use the crust when making breadcrumbs?

TdeV

29 minutes ago, TdeV said:

Almost all recipes I read about breadcrumbs state to cut off the crusts.

Why is that?

(My bread is usually homemade and I don't want to waste the crusts).

I think it depends very much on what you’re aiming for. If you’re aiming for rustic or it just doesn’t matter then leave the crusts on. If you’re aiming for something refined then take the crusts off.  

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, TdeV said:

@Anna N, what is 'refined' about taking the crusts off?

Breadcrumbs would then be all white rather than sprinkled with brown crust.  It matters to some people.   I also remove the crust if I’m using the crumbs to make a panade  —  that’s probably just me. 

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Thanks 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, Anna N said:

Breadcrumbs would then be all white rather than sprinkled with brown crust.  It matters to some people.   I also remove the crust if I’m using the crumbs to make a panade  —  that’s probably just me. 

I guess we normally don't think about the color variations because the normal bread we use is whole-wheat or some variation thereof.  In that case the crust isn't really that much of a different color than the bread itself.  Irregardless, we always use the crust including the ends (they had a little different texture and more crunch).

I've learned that artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.