• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Rare Cookbook now on Ebay

I posted about this rare cookbook some time ago.  Now I have listed it on Ebay so if anyone knows a collector, please pass the information along.

I considered listing it on Amazon but found there were too many hoops to jump through, so am sticking with Ebay.

Only 1019 of these were printed in 1938.  There are a few offered by booksellers but none have the very fragile dust jacket.  This does and the antiquarian book people I contacted told me that in many cases a dust jacket, even damaged, can be worth 10 or 15 times the worth of the book itself.

Early California Hospitality

Edited by andiesenji (log)
  • Like 3

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I wonder if it already sold. The link worked yesterday.  Searching by title brings up a different copy with a different price.

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

25 minutes ago, IowaDee said:

It says that the listing was ended by the seller because there was an error in it.

Thank you. I'm not all that savvy using ebay.

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

You should buy the one for $147.10 with $5.00 on Abebooks.com and resell it. Hehehehehe!

No dust jacket, but "inscribed by the author" must be worth something.

• Haha 1

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

8 hours ago, Maison Rustique said:

That link takes me to an art book?

The link is only to my page with the book. 

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

3 hours ago, DiggingDogFarm said:

You should buy the one for $147.10 with $5.00 on Abebooks.com and resell it. Hehehehehe!

No dust jacket, but "inscribed by the author" must be worth something.

It is ALL about the dust jacket.  A signed first edition of The Sun Also Rises, no dust jacket sells for about $350.00 in very fine condition.

A signed first edition of The Sun Also Rises with original dust jacket, $5,500.00

A copy of Early California Hospitality with a partial dust jacket, not near as complete as mine, sold for 695.95 and the boards were stained, some creasing of pages.  

• Like 1

Weird! All I care about is the content—and condition. I have paid a LOT at different times for content. Extremely rare content. I can make my own dust jacket! 😁

• Like 1

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

2 hours ago, DiggingDogFarm said:

Weird! All I care about is the content—and condition. I have paid a LOT at different times for content. Extremely rare content. I can make my own dust jacket! 😁

You have no idea how fanatic book collectors can be. Years ago when I was actively collecting, I went to many auctions held by antiquarian booksellers.

I have seen seemingly normal people practically come to blows.

I saw one very elegantly dressed and very wealthy woman scream at another woman who upped a bid by a considerable amount - she really wanted that book.

This book was an amazing find because it was already much more expensive than I paid.  But just as the "buyer beware" adage is important, so is the "dealer, know the worth of your stock!"  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, andiesenji said:

You have no idea how fanatic book collectors can be.

Really?

I'm a book collector. I have thousands of books.

I suppose it's possible I'd fight over certain rare content—but I despise violence. 

I'd certainly NEVER fight over aesthetics, unless it's something EXTREME—involving extremely rare CONTENT!

Edited by DiggingDogFarm (log)

53 minutes ago, andiesenji said:

You have no idea how fanatic book collectors can be.

I would probably exchange the word fanatic with another adjective. I've sold many very rare books. Still have some. Some with DJs. It's just not the type of book collector I am.

ETA: I have several professionally published books that are not listed as being available anywhere, at any price.

Edited by DiggingDogFarm (log)
  • Like 2

20 hours ago, DiggingDogFarm said:

I would probably exchange the word fanatic with another adjective. I've sold many very rare books. Still have some. Some with DJs. It's just not the type of book collector I am.

ETA: I have several professionally published books that are not listed as being available anywhere, at any price.

This happened a couple of years ago.  Back in the late 1970s  a man who had purchased a rare book of Audubon Birds, was run off the road, beaten and the book stolen. It never surfaced again, At the time it was surmised that the hit on the man had been ordered by a collector who wanted it for his private collection.

The 1980s were notable for the sheer volume of book thefts, like the Stephen Blumberg affair and that of James Richard Shinn, both of whom stole hundreds of thousands of rare books from libraries.  I worked part time for a specialty book dealer in rare books from the mid 1970s to 1992 when she sold the business.  She gave me her copies of Antiquarian Booksellers Association bulletins, which had fascinating reading about book thieves and also very comprehensive lists of book auctions and sales.

• Like 3