• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

tikidoc

Melanger experimentation

2 hours ago, keychris said:

Viscosity should decrease as your particle size gets smaller, iirc

Up to a point - once there is more surface area and each particle is surrounded by cocoa butter the viscosity will increase again

• Like 2

Okay. It’s been running for 12 hours or more, and it’s more like a praliné than chocolate. I guess it needs to run even longer, or that I did something wrong.

How smooth are the particles? If it seems right - take it out - add a bit more cocoa butter and mold it.

K

Edited by Kerry Beal (log)

I ran it even longer, not much change in viscosity. The particles are still noticeable, unfortunately. Not sure why. But rather than throwing it away, I'll at least try to make it more fluent by adding more cocoa butter and mould it.

This is what I did;

Caster sugar and blackcurrant powder, running for around 2 hours in the melanger.

I added the cocoa butter, and let it run for many hours more. :) 

No more steps than that. Any suggestions on what to do to improve before I try again? I don't understand why there would be particles here - when I make a praline I can get it suuuuper smooth. 

I think the seeds are a problem in a lot of fruits. I think they are the cause of the graininess in a lot of cases.

Edited by Kerry Beal damn you autocorrect! (log)

2 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

I think the seeds are a problem in a lot of fruits. I think they are the colors of the graininess in a lot of cases.

It's more about texture. The color of the blackcurrant is really dark, so you don't really see anything.

Here's a picture of it when it was running;

image.thumb.png.995551dbd11a0184c9c0135189cc0850.png

1 hour ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Kerry may have meant "cause".

yup - autocorrect strikes again - I would have spelled it colours

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

yup - autocorrect strikes again - I would have spelled it colours

you mean you would have spelled it correctly then huh :D

Maybe the problem is too small of a volume? When there is not a lot of stuff in there, it tends to get caught up on the center part and wheels.

35 minutes ago, keychris said:

you mean you would have spelled it correctly then huh :D

exactly!

Shouldn't the seeds just turn to "atoms" by the melanger? :D 

However, I added more cocoa butter and managed to get it fluid enough to mould with it. I'll post some pictures when I've filled the mould with a ganache, I'm thinking mango. Very fruity bonbons!

This is a bit out of left field, but has anyone tried using a melanger to combine clarified butter and powdered milk to make a smooth product? Something that could be added into other confections or frosting without adding water?